Manager's Suck

Angcuru

First Post
Well, the Manager at my place of work isn't in charge of overseeing employees so much as making sure we have the materials needed to do our work, getting things straight with the architect/subcontractors/suppliers, etc. Great guy. We go out and get sushi for everyone in our subdivision (carpentry/labor) every Friday. He lets me take my breaks in his air conditioned trailer so I don't fry in the summer heat. But ooooh boy does he know how to mess up.

You think having your manager be an ass is bad? Try having them ordering 10 tons of gypsum wall pannelling (aka Sheetrock/drywall), and mistakenly ordering ordinary 1/2 inch residential grade instead of the 5/8 fire resistant variety required by Fire Code/Design Specs/Law....and having us poor laborers load it back onto the delivery truck when the mistake is realized. My lower back (and my body in general) was sore for about a week after that. :confused: Plus he never orders the tools we need when we need them. :\

Xath

Moder-gator
Quasqueton said:
Same store. Each morning, one of the opening duties was for a salesman to count up the camcorders in stock and record the number in a security book. The number should match the number written from the night before. Through the day, as camcorders were sold, the salesman would record the sale in the security book. At night, one of the closing duties was to count up the camcorders in stock and record the number in the security book. The number should match the morning number minus any sold that day.

When Yu-Gi-Oh first became really big, we had to do that for every starter and booster of both Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic the Gathering. Including the stock in the back. Eugh. Shipment days were rough, because they'd send us 5400 boosters in a box.

I didn't skimp on the counting though. It usually gave me a chance to sit, and if I actually counted all of the boosters, it took me long enough that I didn't have to be the one to vacuum the store.

Arnwyn

First Post
Heh, none first hand, thankfully. However, as a Commerce graduate (and now professional accountant) we read enough case studies (and knew enough aquaintances) throughout the years that we got a very good idea of how the retail sector works - especially retail managers. Management studies don't look very fondly upon them.

I'd never work retail unless I was destitute.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
My wife worked in retail for a short while in college and just hearing her talk about it was enough to make me never want to have a job there.

In addition to management issues, which can be bad enough, it's amazing the things "customers" try to pull to cheat the stores. "The customer is always right" is SOOOOO not true. Granted, the majority of customers are fine, but that small percent that isn't can really be unbelievable.

DerianCypher

First Post
I do have to admit that retail is a lot better than working in the food industry. And while they piss me off from time to time, our managers on a whole are pretty decent people.

DC

DaveMage said:
In addition to management issues, which can be bad enough, it's amazing the things "customers" try to pull to cheat the stores. "The customer is always right" is SOOOOO not true. Granted, the majority of customers are fine, but that small percent that isn't can really be unbelievable.
The customer is rarely right, you just don't tell them that.

Times that in my retail experience, the customer has been dead wrong:
A kid, obviously in his early teens, comes up to a sales counter and says he wants to return some things, he's got a big bag of merchandise. We have a fairly generous return policy, you don't need a reciept, we just need to scan the bar codes on the product. So, even though he doesn't have a reciept we can take it back. We start scanning and processing the return. It's a mix of things from all over the store: ties, lingerie, a dress, men's shirts, several pairs of jeans, a belt, several pairs of shoes too. It all totals up to well over $1000 in returns. So then we have to ask if they would like it back in the original tender or in store credit. The kid anxiously says "Yeah, tender, I want tender!". So, we push some buttons and ask him to sign on the little digital pad. The reciept prints out, and it's all been credited back to his moms credit card. The kid freaks, and gets angry saying he wanted cash, we have to give him cash, or at least give him the stuff back. Well, the refund & return had already been processed, so we couldn't do that. He angrily went off in a huff. We figured he was returning stuff he thought his family wouldn't miss for drug money.

Someone comes in wanting to return several pairs of very expensive designer jeans. Not only does he not have a reciept, there are no tags at all on the jeans, and they look like they've been worn. There is no way we can accept this as a return, so we tell him we need the reciept or tags. He says he bought them like this just yesterday, from me! (I hadn't worked the two days before this :) ), and I didn't give him a reciept. We weren't buying it, and he was getting loud and pushy, so we said we'd call security and a manager, but the jeans aren't getting returned without tags. He then insisted that I told him yesterday that it was alright just to bring them in without one. I told him that maybe he was mistaken, since I had not worked in the past two days, and a quick check of the surveilance tapes from yesterday would see who sold him these jeans if he bought them here recently. At that point he grumbling storms off, and a while later we find those jeans abandoned in a dressing room on the other side of the department store.

A man comes in to buy a large amount of clothes, right before closing, with his kids in tow. He insists on paying for the large (several hundred dollar) purchase with a check. The problem is, that the check processing system we use was rejecting his checks outright. A quick look would show why: They were two-party checks from out of state, when his driver's license was from yet another state, none of the addresses matched, and the ID didn't look much like him at all. His kids are constantly whining "This happens every time you shop, dad", and "C'mon dad, not again!". I try to politely tell him that I cannot accept his check because our automated approval system won't accept it, and I cannot override the system, and ask him politely to pay with another means such as cash or a credit card. He accuses me of being discriminatory (I couldn't tell why, he wasn't any minority I could tell) and immediately starts threatening to sue me and the store for not taking his check and for "treating me like this", and demands I get a manager there immediately. Well, I call for a manager, and when one finally shows up (as the store is closing down), he goes off on a tirade about how I refused his check and was being discriminatory and demanded they take my check and I should be fired on the spot. The managers reply was simple and to the point (after he sighed and rolled his eyes): "Sir, we are closing, please exit to the doors beside you. Thank you for shopping [store]" as he picks up the merchandise in question and takes it back to the office for restocking the next day. I put on a smile, wave to him, and say bye. He grumbles his way out the door.

One day a pair of customers comes up to me and says, in heavily accented english "return!" as they lay down a pair of shirts and apparently want to return them. I recognize these shirts, I spent a lot of time labelling these shirts recently: they are cheap $15 shirts. They have price tags that read $95 (and a reciept for $95). Okay, that's really odd, so I take a closer look at the labels. You know those little plastic threads that hold the tag on? It had been cut, I pull on the label to read it more closely and it comes out neatly, like it had the back of it (that keeps it in place) cut out. It seemed very obvious to me that they had bought expensive shirts, cheap shirts, and now were trying to return the cheap shirts with the expensive tags to get most of their money back. I tell them I cannot accept them as returns, to which they reply: "No habla ingles. . .Return!". I then tell them, in Spanish I cannot return vandalized merchandise, they quickly sieze the shirts up and storm out of the store.

DerianCypher

First Post
It has been my experiance that customers in general just expect far too much from retail workers and retail stores.

For example: I have had on more than one occasion customers demand that I return opened Norton software that was more than a year old and get all agitated when I tell them no. The return policy is 30days on UNOPENED software!! Goodness.. we're not in the business in renting software out..

Even recently I had a woman try to return a pack of opened Kingston memory that she had for about 3 months. Normally, in such a case we'd try to accomodate the customer, but the memory was discontinued so we couldn't even resell it marked down. When I told her I couldn't return it she said "fine.. I'll take a store credit" I think I had to tell her about 3 more times that I couldn't return it period before she starts threatening me. Finally, I just asked her to leave and gave her our corporate number if she had any complaints...

The best one though was when a man elected not to pay the $35 for shipping on his $5000 TV then dropped it while loading it in his truck in our parking lot... in full view of the General Manager. He was confused as to why we wouldn't return it..

DC

Henry

Autoexreginated
Offensive customers... Sales Quotas... watching Sun Rise and Set from inside glass walls...

God, I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore.

My hat is off to all of you who do it, day in and out.

Remove ads