Manager's Suck

Chimera

First Post
The worst managers in the world are in IT. People with organizational skills but ZERO 'people' skills. Having spent nearly 20 years in IT for about 8 different organizations, I have more than a few tales to tell.

Right now I'm a Security Supervisor. I've got my client all over my butt with various things ranging from completely appropriate to unbelievably petty. On the other side, I have guards who act like it's some sort of trauma or unreasonable burden to be asked to follow simple procedures. My boss is less than helpful and in fact, has created this mess by tolerating a lot of it. We have guards who brag about how they'll never be fired simply because my boss refused to do so when they were flagrantly and repeatedly breaking the rules almost begging to be fired.

In general, the thing you have to remember about Managers is that they get crap from every direction. They can't fire every clown who is insolent or incompetent or nothing will ever get done. They can't implement every insane rule that comes down from on high either, though they have to act like they are doing so.

It is a balancing act of trying to please those above and below.

DerianCypher

First Post
spatha said:
I have done it and would do it again. Sorry when I am a manager and an employee leaves cash laying around I am going to teach them a leason. Moral of the story the cash is your responsibilty never let it out of your sight unless locked in an area no one else has access to, or has been handed over and is no longer your responsibility.

Well that is sorta the whole point. I left the money in a room that is locked and only managers (all of whom can open the safe anyway) have access too.

Greylock

First Post
DerianCypher said:
Well that is sorta the whole point. I left the money in a room that is locked and only managers (all of whom can open the safe anyway) have access too.

Be glad you don't work for me. The fact that the room was locked wouldn't make a whit of difference. Instead of an object lesson, I'd hand out a "corrective action."

HTH

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I have found that grabbing a six pack and renting 9 to 5 does wonders after a day like this.

Oh these olives are so good!

MrFilthyIke

First Post
spatha said:
I have done it and would do it again. Sorry when I am a manager and an employee leaves cash laying around I am going to teach them a leason.

And when your employees turn on you, conspire against you, and "attack" you from behind you at least know with confidence why they hate you. :uhoh:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Greylock said:
Be glad you don't work for me. The fact that the room was locked wouldn't make a whit of difference. Instead of an object lesson, I'd hand out a "corrective action."

HTH

See my above comment to spatha

Greylock

First Post
MrFilthyIke said:
See my above comment to spatha

I've been doing this for a long time. Management is my profession. Currently I supervise 70 employees directly and a total of 125 indirectly.

May I ask what your specialty is?

The manager in the above case had already approved placing the money bag in a locked room, which managers could only access, then changed their mind ex-post-facto and hides the money to create a panic. This is the sort of pointy-hairedness that Scott Adams made his fortune off of. Those of you who are managers and are supporting this should be prepared for backstabbing, treachery, and general ill behavior from their subordinates directed at them, since you have made it clear you consider yourself better than them and their employees start to fight fire with fire. If you ever wonder where employees get the idea to steal or sabotage the company from, antagonism with managers probably plants more than a few seeds.

I've worked retail too, and was responsible for carrying bags of sometimes several thousand dollars (during the Christmas season) to the office. If they had any problem with being unable to take the money (like the proper person not being there to accept it), I was fond of standing right in view of the security cameras, visibly holding the money pouch. The money was accounted for, and I couldn't do my job until somebody else did theirs. One time my boss actually yelled at me for not leaving the money in the office when the person was there to accept it, and I told him in no uncertain terms that if they are going to make me responsible for a bag of company money worth more than a month's wages, I'm not going to hand it over until the proper person signs for it. He threatened to write me up for wasting time, but I asked him would he have been happier if I'd left it on the counter and somebody had walked away with it, to which he begrudgingly decided not to discipline me. Shortly thereafter he was fired, he'd been caught by a new security camera (that he didn't know about) taking money from the safe.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
The manager in the above case had already approved placing the money bag in a locked room, which managers could only access,

Had she now! Don't you hate it when people bugger up and screw you over for it?

Remove ads