Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

SCAPlogo+72dpi---1.jpg

This post is for information about the campaign and the persons, places, and events within. It will be updated as the game progresses.

Thanks!
Krago
=======================================================

About Cauldron

Cauldron3.JPG

Cauldron forms the hub of the Shackled City campaign. The town's buildings, tightly packed and built from volcanic rock and wood, line the inner bowl of a nameless, dormant volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circles around a small lake of cold water, which fills the volcano's basin. Although the town's sewage seeps into the lake, local clerics routinely purify the water for the citizens in exchange for charitable donations to their temples.

A 50-foot-tall fortified wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano. Four roads descend the outer walls of the volcano, becoming major thoroughfares that lead to other towns and distant realms. The regions nearer the rim of the city tend to be occupied by upper class families and elite merchants. The closer one gets to the center of town (and the closer to the often pungent odors of the central lake), the shoddier the construction and the more dangerous its dark alleys become. Most people get around Cauldron on foot, although the town has its share of wagons and carriages, most of them owned by merchants and nobles.

Map Key

1. Church of St. Cuthbert
2. The Drunken Morkoth Inn
3. Ghelve's Locks

Dramatis Personae

Isaar - Surly proprietor and barkeep of The Drunken Morkoth Inn

Jenya Urikas - The acting High Priestess of the Church of St. Cuthbert. Jenya is 30 years old, has brown eyes, and likes to wear her hair in various elaborate styles. Although she stands only 5 feet 4 inches tall, she walks tall and confronts evil with merciless resolve.

Jenya-thumbnail.jpg

Keygan Ghelve - Gnomish owner of Ghelve's Locks; a renowned locksmith.

Maia - Friendly middle-aged waitress at The Drunken Morkoth Inn.

Pellir - Junior acolyte of the Church of St. Cuthbert.

Ruphus Laro - An acolyte of the Church of St. Cuthbert. Saved by the PCs from a beating at the hands of mysterious face-painted thugs.

Tyro Amberhelm - Dwarven merchant, staying at The Drunken Morkoth Inn.

Last edited:

Scene One - Gone in the Night

OOC: Following is the opening scene for the game, and it requires a little help from you, the players, to establish it convincingly. I'd like to begin under the assumption that the characters are newly arrived in Cauldron, having just passed through the gates of the 50-foot fortified wall of black malachite which encircles the volcano's rim. To avoid straining the limits of credibility, let's say that the characters all arrived at the same time, as part of a large caravan of travelers. They could have hired along as security or entertainment; or they may have simply been along for the ride (safety in numbers, the desire for company, etc.). With that in mind, it's certain that they would recognize each other's faces as fellow travelers...they might even have struck up some conversation along the way (it's up to you, but some role-playing which reflects the shared trip to the city is strongly encouraged). When the caravan arrives in Cauldron, the various travelers split up into small groups and make their into the city. One such cluster of travelers consists of Billy, Eliara, Galen, Konstantine, and Intari as they seek the shelter of an inn on this rainy autumn evening....

IC: Several blocks into the city, it becomes clear that few of Cauldron's residents are out and about on the cobblestone streets; and with good reason...a steady, wretched drizzle falls from the ash-grey sky. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak and frightful this evening, hunched together beneath the tireless rain. A few lights burn in their windows, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and the din of water trundles from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys, and turning street gutters into rivulets.

A sudden, plaintive cry for help splits the evening air! It seems to come from somewhere behind.

Actions?

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Eliara isdazzled by the surroundings. Such artifice these humans have, though lack of foresight. Build a city upon a volcano? Might as well a hut next to an inferno!

When she hears the cry she responds instantly. It would seem adventure has been quick to find me! She starts running towards it, eager to find the source of the cry.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine looks around her with a wide and inquisitive stare. At least she does until a drop of rain pelts her in the eye.

Oh, drat. This is simply going to be murder on my hair. Well... better find someplace cozy to rest until... until... hmmmm.

Then the bard hears the cry behind her. She turns quickly. What was that? Seeing the wood elf bound off, Konstantine decides to not wait for a response. I wonder if this is the way adventuring starts. She quickly shifts her backpack and follows Eliara to the source of the cry.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Krug said:
Eliara isdazzled by the surroundings. Such artifice these humans have, though lack of foresight. Build a city upon a volcano? Might as well a hut next to an inferno!

As if reading Eliara's mind, Galen says, "This doesn't seem to be a very sensible location for a city. I mean, what if the mountain were to erupt?" The young warmage hunches his shoulders against the rain. "We ought to find an inn, eh, Eliara?"

Krug said:
When she hears the cry she responds instantly. It would seem adventure has been quick to find me! She starts running towards it, eager to find the source of the cry.

"Eliara?"

Galen turns to see her and Konstantine running off as if an alert had just been sounded.

"Oh bother. What now?"

Shifting his longspear into a double-handed grip, Galen races after Eliara and Konstantine.

Scotley

Hero
Gawking at the odd city and wondering how quickly he can find another caravan job out of here, the aspiring paladin is shocked to his senses by the cry of help and the sudden movement of his companions. He whirls and begins to move while drawing his axe and adjusting his shield. He narrowly avoids tumbling into a gutter and skids to a stop, then moves off with more measured strides, careful of his footing and leaving his axe suspended from his belt for now.

Krug

Newshound
How does that person know my name? Eliara wondered, as she kept running. "Who are you and how do you know my name?" she shouted, even as she darted amongst the streets. She considered drawing her bow and readying an arrow, but thought otherwise. It might merely be a minor trifle. Perhaps a broken pot or other minor thing that humans would cry and scream about.

(OOC: It's been a couple days, so I'm going to move the scene forward with hopes that Caliber will catch up.)

IC: Sounds of a scuffle and cursing, slightly muffled by the rainfall, lead to the mouth of a mist-shrouded alley. Within, you see three figures assaulting a fourth, who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrusts him against a wall as another growls, "Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

One of the attackers is keeping a lookout, and notices the arrival of the newcomers at the mouth of the alleyway. Quickly drawing a short sword, he growls, "Hey, bugger off! None of your concern, here!" As he makes his threat, you notice that the three thugs all have their faces crudely painted half-white, half-black, like a poor attempt at mimicking a harlequin's mask.

Actions?

alleyfight-medium.jpg

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Eliara stops about 30' away from them, making sure she has space to move, and draws her bow and arrow. "It certainly seems to be of concern," says the elf. She tries to get a better look at the victim and who it might be.

Scotley

Hero
William Baker Human Paladin

William stops beside Eliara, "Now I'm new here, but most places three on one is considered an unfair fight. I suggest that you tell us what is going on here before we feel obligated to make this our concern." He rests a hand casually on his axe trying hard to look like a confidant vetran.

Remove ads