Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine attempts to hide the mix of terror and excitement boiling inside her. Oh dear. This is bad. Poor Billy might be just as likely to sever his own leg if he tries to swing that axe. If this comes to some fight, I would probably be just as likely to... ummm.

The young bard tries to quickly think of some way to diffuse the situation. Konstantine's tone begins almost playfully: "Now, dear William, I am sure that won't be necessary. These good folk here with their fun make-up must certainly be playing some kind of game. They must be, because if they were actually doing what it appears," her tone steadily becomes more serious and her pace slows down as she enunciates each word "no doubt the town guard would like to know about it. In any case, good sirs, I imagine that whatever message you were intending to convey has been received. Therefore, you will do no further violence here." Konstantine's tone resumes the playful lilt she used at first. "What do you think, dear William? While their taste in face paints in both horrid and ineptly applied, I am sure they are smart enough to get the point.

(OCC: feel free to make any skill rolls you think applicable here.)

Scotley

Hero
William Human Paladin

William nods at Konstantine's words, but his gaze remains fixed on the attackers and his hand remains on his axe.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Krug said:
"Who are you and how do you know my name?" Eliara shouted to Galen, even as she darted amongst the streets. She considered drawing her bow and readying an arrow, but thought otherwise. It might merely be a minor trifle. Perhaps a broken pot or other minor thing that humans would cry and scream about.

"Galen Thucydides," Galen replies. "I've been on the fringes of the caravan for a few days."

Krago o'the Mountain said:
Sounds of a scuffle and cursing, slightly muffled by the rainfall, lead to the mouth of a mist-shrouded alley. Within, you see three figures assaulting a fourth, who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrusts him against a wall as another growls, "Stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

One of the attackers is keeping a lookout, and notices the arrival of the newcomers at the mouth of the alleyway. Quickly drawing a short sword, he growls, "Hey, bugger off! None of your concern, here!" As he makes his threat, you notice that the three thugs all have their faces crudely painted half-white, half-black, like a poor attempt at mimicking a harlequin's mask.

Krug said:
Eliara stops about 30' away from them, making sure she has space to move, and draws her bow and arrow. "It certainly seems to be of concern," says the elf. She tries to get a better look at the victim and who it might be.

Scotley said:
William stops beside Eliara, "Now I'm new here, but most places three on one is considered an unfair fight. I suggest that you tell us what is going on here before we feel obligated to make this our concern." He rests a hand casually on his axe trying hard to look like a confidant vetran.

Galen takes up position just behind Eliara and William, ready to bring his longspear to bear should the apparent villains charge.

Dichotomy said:
Konstantine tries to quickly think of some way to diffuse the situation. Konstantine's tone begins almost playfully: "Now, dear William, I am sure that won't be necessary. These good folk here with their fun make-up must certainly be playing some kind of game. They must be, because if they were actually doing what it appears," her tone steadily becomes more serious and her pace slows down as she enunciates each word "no doubt the town guard would like to know about it. In any case, good sirs, I imagine that whatever message you were intending to convey has been received. Therefore, you will do no further violence here." Konstantine's tone resumes the playful lilt she used at first. "What do you think, dear William? While their taste in face paints in both horrid and ineptly applied, I am sure they are smart enough to get the point.

While William nods in reply to Konstantine's question, Galen merely sneers. His first instinct is to teach the masked men a few lessons in pain, but, for the moment at least, he seems content to wait to see if more level heads can prevail.

But, just in case, he stays ready in case the thugs are foolish enough to rush their position.

Caliber

Explorer
Still shocked at the casual acceptance of so much bountiful water, Intari is caught by surprise as his companions rush off. Hustling after them, Intari arrives late to the scene, just in time to hear the thug's threat.

Loosening his spear from the strap across his back, Intari slowly begins circling around, watching for any aggressive moves from the thugs.

"Scorpion tells me that what you do here is wrong. Only cowards attack a single opponent in a group."

Krug said:
Eliara stops about 30' away from them, making sure she has space to move, and draws her bow and arrow. "It certainly seems to be of concern," says the elf. She tries to get a better look at the victim and who it might be.

Eliara looks ahead and notes that the assault victim is a young man, perhaps barely more than a teenager. He wears brown robes and a medallion of some sort hangs from a cord around his neck.

Scotley said:
William stops beside Eliara, "Now I'm new here, but most places three on one is considered an unfair fight. I suggest that you tell us what is going on here before we feel obligated to make this our concern." He rests a hand casually on his axe trying hard to look like a confidant vetran.

Dichotomy said:
Konstantine attempts to hide the mix of terror and excitement boiling inside her. Oh dear. This is bad. Poor Billy might be just as likely to sever his own leg if he tries to swing that axe. If this comes to some fight, I would probably be just as likely to... ummm.

The young bard tries to quickly think of some way to diffuse the situation. Konstantine's tone begins almost playfully: "Now, dear William, I am sure that won't be necessary. These good folk here with their fun make-up must certainly be playing some kind of game. They must be, because if they were actually doing what it appears," her tone steadily becomes more serious and her pace slows down as she enunciates each word "no doubt the town guard would like to know about it. In any case, good sirs, I imagine that whatever message you were intending to convey has been received. Therefore, you will do no further violence here." Konstantine's tone resumes the playful lilt she used at first. "What do you think, dear William? While their taste in face paints in both horrid and ineptly applied, I am sure they are smart enough to get the point.

(OCC: feel free to make any skill rolls you think applicable here.)

[Bardic Knowledge Check: Roll = 4, Total = 7] Konstantine considers the attackers and their bizarre makeup, but she is unable to make any sense of it.

[Diplomacy Check: Roll = 3, Total = 10] Konstantine hopes that her jovial words can defuse this tense situation with no further violence.

Mark Chance said:
Galen takes up position just behind Eliara and William, ready to bring his longspear to bear should the apparent villains charge.

While William nods in reply to Konstantine's question, Galen merely sneers. His first instinct is to teach the masked men a few lessons in pain, but, for the moment at least, he seems content to wait to see if more level heads can prevail.

But, just in case, he stays ready in case the thugs are foolish enough to rush their position.

Caliber said:
Still shocked at the casual acceptance of so much bountiful water, Intari is caught by surprise as his companions rush off. Hustling after them, Intari arrives late to the scene, just in time to hear the thug's threat.

Loosening his spear from the strap across his back, Intari slowly begins circling around, watching for any aggressive moves from the thugs.

"Scorpion tells me that what you do here is wrong. Only cowards attack a single opponent in a group."

The narrow stricures of the 10-foot-wide alley prevent Intari from circling behind the thugs, but he stands warily next to Galen, spear at the ready.

The lookout thug scoffs at William's bravado, but holds his ground. The other two attackers also now turn their attention to the interferers at the alley's mouth.

The attackers look at one another momentarily, as they appear to give some consideration to Konstantine's words. Then, one of the thugs gives the robed young man a shove and grunts, "Fine, then, get on your way. You just remember what we told you, boy. There'll be more hurtin' for you if we ever see you 'round that orphanage again! Now shove off, all of you, before we show you how we really play games!" The three thugs begin slowly to back away from the party, with readied swords in hand. Their battered victim, meanwhile, begins to make his way toward the group of adventurers, wincing as he does.

Actions?

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine attempts to maintain her composure as best she can. Thank the gods that worked. Bloodshed would have been bad. Moreso since we don't even know what the reason would be.

The bard keeps up her playful tone from before. "Alright, then. You folk have a wonderful day. Try not to catch cold in the rain."

Konstantine then turns her attention to the victim as he moves painfully toward them. Her tone is full of concern. "Are you alright? Perhaps we'd best get you to a healer. Let me see." The bard moves next to the lad and looks him over. As she does, Konstantine attempts to get a look at the medallion around his neck. "Why did you get into a tussle with them? They mentioned an orphanage. Ugh, such brutes!

"William? It IS William, right?"
The bard's cheeks flush with embarassment as she looks at the budding paladin. "Would you give me a hand? You can help support him with more ease than I can." She then turns back to the injured man. "You'll be fine in no time."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Krago o'the Mountain said:
The three thugs begin slowly to back away from the party, with readied swords in hand. Their battered victim, meanwhile, begins to make his way toward the group of adventurers, wincing as he does.

Galen cannot resist exhibiting an obscene gesture popular in Furyondy as the thugs warily retreat. As the injured lad reaches Konstantine and William, the warmage steps aside to allow them by while he covers their rear.

Scotley

Hero
"Yes ma'am, William Baker." He steps forward to help the lad. He looks at the medallion trying to decern its meaning. "Let's get this lad out of the rain," Looking into the boys face he adds, "where can we take you for safety?"

Krug

Newshound
Eliara puts away her bow and arrow and watches the men walk away. "I am Eliara, but some here already know my name," she says. She looks around the city, fascinated by the structures here, waiting for the boy to reply to Konstantin.

Caliber

Explorer
As the thugs walk away Intari relaxes, replacing the spear at his back.

"I can soothe some of your aches, if you'll let me," Intari offers to the injured lad.

OOC: Will Cure Minor Wounds on the boy if he accepts.

Remove ads