Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

Dichotomy said:
Konstantine attempts to maintain her composure as best she can. Thank the gods that worked. Bloodshed would have been bad. Moreso since we don't even know what the reason would be.

The bard keeps up her playful tone from before. "Alright, then. You folk have a wonderful day. Try not to catch cold in the rain."

Konstantine then turns her attention to the victim as he moves painfully toward them. Her tone is full of concern. "Are you alright? Perhaps we'd best get you to a healer. Let me see." The bard moves next to the lad and looks him over. As she does, Konstantine attempts to get a look at the medallion around his neck. "Why did you get into a tussle with them? They mentioned an orphanage. Ugh, such brutes!

"William? It IS William, right?" The bard's cheeks flush with embarassment as she looks at the budding paladin. "Would you give me a hand? You can help support him with more ease than I can." She then turns back to the injured man. "You'll be fine in no time."

Up close, it becomes apparent that the medallion around the lad's neck is a wooden holy symbol of St. Cuthbert.

Grimacing, the young man replies, "Thank you very much. I don't know why they attacked me! I thought I was being mugged, but it seems they just wanted to intimidate me. My church has been active in trying to help the good people of the Lantern Street Orphanage in the wake of the terrible events there. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to that. My name's Ruphus, by the way."

Mark Chance said:
Galen cannot resist exhibiting an obscene gesture popular in Furyondy as the thugs warily retreat. As the injured lad reaches Konstantine and William, the warmage steps aside to allow them by while he covers their rear.

The thugs seem uninterested in Galen's gesture (or maybe they just didn't see it due to the falling rain). Curiously, however, they reach the opposite end of the alley and then stop. They loiter there, keeping a close, unfriendly eye on the party, as though waiting for something.

Scotley said:
"Yes ma'am, William Baker." He steps forward to help the lad. He looks at the medallion trying to decern its meaning. "Let's get this lad out of the rain," Looking into the boys face he adds, "where can we take you for safety?"

Ruphus replies, "I'd appreciate it if you'd accompany me back to my church. I'm sure High Priestess Jenya would wish to show her appreciation for stepping in and assisting me. In any case, you could get in out of the rain."

Caliber said:
As the thugs walk away Intari relaxes, replacing the spear at his back.

"I can soothe some of your aches, if you'll let me," Intari offers to the injured lad.

OOC: Will Cure Minor Wounds on the boy if he accepts.

Ruphus smiles a bit. "Thanks, but it's not necessary. I'll be fine once we get back to the temple."

Actions?

Krug

Newshound
"Well yes, it would be good to get out of the rain, to someplace... friendlier," says Eliara, glancing at the thugs. The city made her uncomfortable. She was out of her natural habitat, and something inside her screamed for her to dart off to the nearest patch of forest, but she kept herself calm.

If they go towards the church, Eliara will check to see if they are being followed.

Scotley

Hero
William Baker

William moves off supporting the lad as needed. "Thank you, we would certainly appreciate a dry place. So what does the face paint on your attackers represent?"

Dichotomy

Explorer
As Ruphus introduces himself, Konstantine gets a startled look on her face. "Oh, where did my manners go. I am so sorry. My name is Konstantine. It is good to meet you. I will let the others introduce themselves. We actually don't know each other that well, but" the bard looks at William with his axe, Eliara with leaves in her hair, Galen with his spear, and the young Intari and she smiles "it seems that we are alike enough."

When the discussion turns to moving to the temple, Konstantine nods at the thought of going someplace dry. The bard walks close to Ruphus and listens eagerly for his answer to William's query.

Well, it is obvious that it helping Ruphus was the right thing to do. This is a mystery, though. Why would people ever attack a man of the cloth? This orhpanage? There are many questions to ask...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Galen follows along, bring up the rear, walking or glancing backwards nearly half the time to see if the face-painted goons (or anyone else for that matter) is following them.

Caliber

Explorer
Stepping back, Intari nods at Ruphus's disinterest. "I am Intari, acolyte of the Scorpion. I would be glad to get away from so much water. It is unnatural."

As the Intari and the others walk towards the Temple, Intari seems uneasy in both the close confines of the city's walls and underneath the falling rain.

"Is it usual for those within your city to be accosted by such men Ruphus? And what terrible events at this orphanage do you speak of?

As the newly acquainted band prepares to leave the alley (keeping a close eye on the face-painted thugs all the while), a woman's voice suddenly rings out from somewhere above. "Well done! But the cleric lives because we wish it so, not because of your misplaced bravado." The source of the voice is barely distinguishable through the drizzle, some 20 feet above on the rooftop of one of the buildings enclosing the alley. A lithe figure lurks there, clad all in black; she also has her face painted white and black into a grinning harlequin's visage. She points a baleful finger at Ruphus and says, "Take these words back to your temple, priest! The children are lost and no longer St. Cuthbert's concern." She then retreats onto the rooftop and disappears from view. Taking their cue from the mysterious figure, the three assailants now dash from the alley's opposite end, disappearing with muffled footfalls into the fog and damp of the city streets.

Scotley said:
William moves off supporting the lad as needed. "Thank you, we would certainly appreciate a dry place. So what does the face paint on your attackers represent?"

Ruphus shrugs his shoulders. "I really don't know what their painted faces mean. Maybe Jenya will know something about it once we reach the temple."

Krug said:
"Well yes, it would be good to get out of the rain, to someplace... friendlier," says Eliara, glancing at the thugs. The city made her uncomfortable. She was out of her natural habitat, and something inside her screamed for her to dart off to the nearest patch of forest, but she kept herself calm.

If they go towards the church, Eliara will check to see if they are being followed.

Dichotomy said:
As Ruphus introduces himself, Konstantine gets a startled look on her face. "Oh, where did my manners go. I am so sorry. My name is Konstantine. It is good to meet you. I will let the others introduce themselves. We actually don't know each other that well, but" the bard looks at William with his axe, Eliara with leaves in her hair, Galen with his spear, and the young Intari and she smiles "it seems that we are alike enough."

When the discussion turns to moving to the temple, Konstantine nods at the thought of going someplace dry. The bard walks close to Ruphus and listens eagerly for his answer to William's query.

Well, it is obvious that it helping Ruphus was the right thing to do. This is a mystery, though. Why would people ever attack a man of the cloth? This orhpanage? There are many questions to ask...

Mark Chance said:
Galen follows along, bring up the rear, walking or glancing backwards nearly half the time to see if the face-painted goons (or anyone else for that matter) is following them.

Eliara and Galen keep a close watch behind to ensure they aren't being followed. [Eliara Spot: Roll = 7, Total = 12; Galen Spot: Roll = 11, Total = 12] Neither of them see any signs of pursuit as they walk.

Caliber said:
Stepping back, Intari nods at Ruphus's disinterest. "I am Intari, acolyte of the Scorpion. I would be glad to get away from so much water. It is unnatural."

As the Intari and the others walk towards the Temple, Intari seems uneasy in both the close confines of the city's walls and underneath the falling rain.

"Is it usual for those within your city to be accosted by such men Ruphus? And what terrible events at this orphanage do you speak of?

As they walk, Ruphus turns to reply to Intari's comment.

"Well, I don't know if it's unnatural, but I do hope it doesn't make the lake rise too much. They say some sort of tentacled beast lurks in the cold depths there, but I doubt it's true. The danger of flooding is real enough, though."

Continuing, he answers the shaman's questions. "No, it's not usual at all! I realize that crime happens, but it's not even fully dark yet...and this doesn't seem like a normal crime. The church is helping with the investigation to find the four missing children from the orphanage, so I went there for a visit this afternoon. It seems that those people don't want us involved, though I can't fathom why."

A light of understanding flickers in Ruphus' eyes, and he continues, "You're new in town aren't you? Well, I'll try to explain a bit of what's been going on. For a couple of months now, Cauldron has seen a string of disappearances of its citizens. Random folk, just up and gone from their homes, along with their valuables. The thing is, there's no sign of a break-in, no sign of a struggle...they just vanish. The authorities have been trying to solve the mystery, but they haven't gotten far. Now, just three nights ago, it turned even worse...the children disappeared. This was the first time children were involved, all the others had been adults at least. That was the last straw for Jenya, so the church pledged to help. I was at the orphanage today, consoling the other children and the staff. Who could be opposed to that?" The young cleric shakes his head sadly as the group proceeds.

(OOC: The walk to the Temple of St. Cuthbert is a great opportunity to ask further questions of Ruphus. I'll pause to allow such conversations before posting the arrival at the temple.)

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
"Yes, such irony to drown at the heart of a volcano, would it not be?" says Eliara. "Hmm... and who be the enemies of this... saint cooth bert?"

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine listens to the story of Ruphus intently.

"That is horrible! I am so sorry for what has happened. I suppose though that at least a few things are obvious. Whoever those buffons are with their face paint, they are certainly connected to the disappearances. Otherwise, you would think they would be glad that the church was trying to do something. And they don't want the church involved. That means that... ummmm.... That means that they are either specifically afraid of the church, for some reason, or it means that they have also used similar tactics on the 'authorities' of which you spoke." The bard rubs her chin and thinks another moment. "Unless it means that they, the people behind the disappearances, are consorting with the 'authorities.' Oh, that would be wretched."

Konstantine continues to ponder. It's more like she is simply speaking her thoughts aloud rather than specifically addressing anyone. "So, it seems that the disappearances are all, or at least mostly all, related. That would suggest a large group or some other powerful force behind it. Since the people all just vanished, they must have been spirited away, or they went by their own will. Or maybe their will was... subjugated. And there must be some reason why the people are leaving or being taken."

The bard appears to realize that she has been babbling. "Oh, sorry. But don't lose heart, dear Ruphus. No decent person would ever be opposed to the help you mean to give. I am sure your god sees the work you do. I bet your High Priestess Jenya will know what to do."

Scotley

Hero
William Human Paladin

Overwhealmed by the Bard's non-stop dialogue, William follows along mutely. He tries to follow the conversation and keep an eye out for trouble.

Remove ads