Tales of the eldeen reaches

Ozmar

First Post
Silver smiles. "Don't mention it. I just didn't want you to spoil our dinner," she says, laughing in a friendly way.

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Well, you asked for first watch rolls, but it seems everyone is doing it, so Spot 24, Listen 12, Fort 14. Let me know when I'm either awake this watch, or it's second watch.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ranvar said:
"Right then, I'll wait and take this off later then. I'll take this side of the camp Roral, you watch over there."

Roral takes a quick look to where Balinor's cleric indicated, and nods in agreement.

'Very well. I'll take it. I probably should get suited up as well then once the night watch begins.'

As the evening progresses and it looks as though the other four shifters are getting ready for sleep, Roral sighs and then begins the arduous task of armoring up again. Once completed, he moves a bit away from the camp to allow his eyes to adjust, but also to keep the noise of his armor from being too loud to keep them awake.

Then from about 10pm to 1am, Roral waits and watches.

Listen [12] - 1 = 11
Spot [7] - 1 = 6
Fortitude [15] + 5 = 20

DrZombie

First Post
Roral:

The night is filled with the usual sounds of nature. So quiet, infact, that Ranvar doses off.

Then, at about midnight, the forest goes eerily quiet. Nothing stirs, as if the forest itself is holding it's breath.
You can feel, as much as hear, right at he edge of sound, something chanting, far away and nearby at the same time, as if a voice swirls around through the woods. It is a macabre sound, with a maniacally twisted edge that fills you with distaste. It rises to a crescende, then suddenly stops.
Then it goes quiet again.

You see your friends twisting and turning in their sleep, sweating and mumbling something.

The rest:

Slowly you get ready to sleep. You start dreaming.

The moon shines on a clearing in the forest. Huge standing stones form a circle. An elderly half-orc druid is holding a ceremony, offering fruit and a deer to the Gods. He suddenly looks up, and turns around. Then he doubles over, an arrow sticking in his stomach. He falls to the ground, and seven hooded figures appear in the clearing. They grab his struggling form by hands and ankles, and put him on the altar. His throat is slit, and the blood pours on the altar, hissing and steaming. The body is dragged away, and the seven start to chant, raising their voices to the heavens. They all draw strange, curved bone daggers, and use them to slice open their arms. The blood falls to the floor, and streams towards the altar. One of the seven walks towards it, and with a scepter of sorts strikes the altar.
It cracks, and the standing stones start to shake.
One by one, slowly, they fall over.

The seven continue their ecstatic singing, and fall to their knees, cutting themselves, offering their blood, wich continues to stream towards the now cracked altar.

Slowly a portal forms, and from beyond you can see horrible creatures, twisted, alien, gruesome, bizarre. Natural forms, melted together. Gibbering, drooling mouths. Inane cackles escape from foam-flecked lips.
Amidst all this stands a creature with the face of an angel and the eyes of a demented mass-murderer. It smiles as his horde starts to move through the portal, showing rotten fangs behind cherry-red, full lips.

Then, all of the sudden, one of the seven falls over, an arrow through his throat. The portal slowly grows smaller, and the creatures attack each other in an effort to get through.

A giant bear wielding an axe, a tiger with two swords, and a huge creature of fire enter the clearing.

Then all goes black.

Krug

Newshound
Caw wakes up abruptly, his head hurting as thought a sledgehammer were pounding. "What in the..." he looks to the others,and soon realises they all had the same dream. "What does itmean? W-what?"

The sorcerer looks around for Scarfang so that they can continue their journey. Caw has been quite affected by the dream.

Bront

The man with the probe
Stulgar awakens with a bit of a start. He looks around, seeing that others have awakened as well. "The Gatekeepers." he says, certain that he was witnessing something involving them.

Stulgar sees Caw is agitated, and says. "It was a vision. Perhaps a memory of a stand by the gatekeepers of the past, or perhaps a fortelling of those in the future. I'm sure in time we will find meaning in it, but we must be ready for the task at hand."

Once things settle down, Stulgar pulls Caw aside and says to him "My friend, be not afraid of what you see or your responsibility. A good leader knows when to listen to those he leads, and needs not be the best at anything but looking after those he leads. If you need assistance from anyone, just ask, for it is not a sign of weakness to rely on others who might offer you more insight. We're all friends here, and have the same goal. We'll all stand behind you and help you." He smiles and pats Caw on the shoulder as he finishes.

He looks up at the sky "It's almost time for our watch", he says to Silver. "No sense in going back to sleep now."

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Ranvar slowly comes out of his sleep.

"Wh...huhn? An attack! Was that Scarfang calling to us for help? Has something gone wrong? Perhaps we should seek that place...we certainly should if Scarfang doesn't return for us."

Ozmar

First Post
Silver: Zzzzzzzzzz

She sleeps as if in a deep trance. As Stulgar shakes her to wake her up, he notices that she appears different, her brown hair has turned completely white, and when she opens, her eyes are large and seem to glow with an inner light akin to that of a full moon. As she wakes fully, her appearance returns to normal.

OOC: During the dream, she shifted.

"What? Is it time to watch?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As the others wake up from their dreams, Roral inquires what exactly was going on and what they saw. Upon hearing Stulgar's explanation of his dream, Roral's brow furrows in thought.

'The Gatekeepers? And seven cloaked individuals chanting and opening a portal? Hmm. Well, I will say that while all of you were sleeping, I thought I heard... or I'm pretty sure I heard... well I think I heard... some... chanting near here as well. Sort of distant... but also sort of close. It was hard to explain. I almost FELT the sounds as well. I know I'm not explaining it well.'

He looks over and sees Caw's fear on his face, and hears Ranvar exclaim as he wakes up. He turns to the cleric and there's a bit of hardness in his response as he's not exactly thrilled that Ranvar fell asleep.

'Let's not jump to conclusions, Ranvar. I haven't seen Scarfang since he took off earlier, and we don't know what this dream of yours signifies. Of course, had I dozed off while I was supposedly on watch and gotten a chance to witness this dream myself, perhaps I'd feel differently. But as I was doing my job, I think it best that we all continue to just do our jobs until Scarfang returns.'

Roral addresses the group once they've fully awoken.

'Scarfang brought us and left us at this specific place for a reason. Whether this vision is connected to that reason, or if this vision is a byproduct of something else entirely, I don't know. But it doesn't do us any good to go rushing off through the trees screaming our heads off to find Scarfang, especially not at this time of the night. We don't seem to be in any immediate danger, so let's wait to see what the druid has to say about what we've seen. Perhaps we were meant to see this... perhaps not. But I for one will wait for Scarfang to make a decision about what's to occur, before I go flailing about, ranting and raving like some child. Stulgar? It's your and Silver's watch. I'm going to try and get some sleep.'

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Ranvar looks a bit abashed, realising he fell asleep on watch. He replies to Roral.

"The dream was clearly magical in nature...we couldn't have all had the same dream otherwise. I couldn't have stayed awake as I fell beneath the power of the spell-it's not my fault."

Ranvar then thinks a moment before continuing,
"What if one of the animals in the dream...or the flaming elemental for that matter...WAS Scarfang and this was his way of calling for help? What if the place he went was to this circle ritual? I don't fancy meeting the things that came out of that portal, and I care to see Scarfang angry that we didn't answer his summons even less."
Ranvar looks around at the others in camp, hoping to be gaining support. He turns to Roral "You say you heard the chanting while awake? Which direction? I think we should investigate and aid Scarfang if need be. He knew that this trip would be dangerous, he wouldn't have asked us along otherwise."

Remove ads