[IC1] Pool of Radiance

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn

Glad to have some company in a place with a bad reputation, Eldwyn pays for the first round. "Well so far this doesn't seem as ominous as we have been led to believe. I know it will be dangerours, but I can't help feeling a certain excitement about getting out into the old city."

Thanee

First Post
While in the common room, the adventurers can't help but listen to some rumors the patrons have to spare. One of them claims, that his brother has seen undead on Thorne Isle, where the small fortress Sokol Keep is located. “The old keep held out longer than any place in Phlan, all the powerful folks fled there. But, I'll tell you, my brother told me that place was just full of undead.” There are other rumors about the undead as well, some say, that the old graveyard is overrun by them and that the council is currently gathering brave people to confront them.

The party also learns, that the best place to start here in Phlan would be the Council Chamber, where some missions, which the council considers important, are usually posted on the door. The adventurers can't help but notice, that some of the patrons do not hold the city council in the highest esteem, but most seem to be fairly happy with their rule.

Kordunn:
[SBLOCK]There are few evil auras among the patrons, but some are definitely present. There is one group of four, a half-orc, a dwarf and two humans, who appear like some sort of small-scale gang. One of the humans has the strongest taint of evil, which is still not alarmingly strong, however.[/SBLOCK]

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn Halfling Bard/Cleric

"Well Kordunn, should we venture over to the Council Chamber and see what sort of offers they are making?"

Voadam

Legend
"Certainly. Let's see what needs doing in New Phlan."

Kordunn gets up and his gaze once again flows over the crowd, lingering momentarily on a foursome at a table, then joins his companion in exiting.

[SBLOCK] Marking the foursome into memory for future reference, noting identifying marks like scars, etc. [/SBLOCK]

Thanee

First Post
Kylest and Selvaggio, followed by Intrepido, also head down after checking their rooms and together the five head out to see the Council Chamber and what else the small part of the city has to offer. It's easy enough to keep orientation, since the City Hall containing the Council Chamber is the tallest house, located in the heart of New Phlan.

On their way they see a few small shops, which offer general goods, weapons and armor, and various adventuring gear. They also see the holy symbol of Tyr on two banners hanging in front of a rather unostentatious building, which after closer examination seems to be some sort of temple. There are two barracks and training halls for the guards, which can be seen frequently patrolling the streets in groups of three. Other than that, there is also a large number of laborers and workers carrying around construction material and working on houses in various states of ruin, especially near the outside of New Phlan.

Finally the small group arrives at a small plaza, which is dominated by the large City Hall and surrounded by smaller buildings hosting a few taverns, shops, a forge and various other houses, some of them still under construction. The Cracked Crown is located here, which is easily identifiable by its sign and appears to be a rather nice inn with two pots containing some well-kept plants flanking its entrance.

The entrance to the Council Chamber has no plants, but is flanked by two guards instead, who are watching the crowd with a quite bored impression on their grim faces, keeping a firm grip to their halberds. Next to the door, several sheets of parchment containing various proclamations of the council are pinned to the wall.

[smallcaps]Mission Overview[/smallcaps]

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn Halfling

Eldwyn whistles softly at the totals offered, then quickly returns to his more normal staid self. After standing on tiptoe to read all the notices he turns to the others. "I guess it is no surprise that I'd like to go to Valhingen Graveyard. It looks like a quick 100 gold to me. We should do it before someone else gets over there. Along the way perhaps we can pick a block to work on."

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
"There is a large river and a lot of unreclaimed city between New Phlan and the graveyard. How do you propose to cross the river?"

Thanee

First Post
As their thoughts drift towards the river, the adventurers remember having seen a few smaller boats in the harbor, probably ferries meant to carry travelers across the treacherous waters. It might be possible to convince one of the ferrymen to bring them to the more savage eastern river bank, but they would need some means to get back or at least to signal the harbor, that they need a transport back into safety once they return.

Scotley

Hero
"Good question. I see lots of boats about, so we can likely convince someone to take us over, but I don't relish the thought of being trapped over there. I wonder how we could arrange to get back?"

Remove ads