Warlock Optimization

tecnowraith

First Post
I was thinking getting of Flyby Attack at 9th level. I am seriously thinking of picking up 2 levels of fighter to get the ranged feats.

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
tecnowraith said:
I was thinking getting of Flyby Attack at 9th level. I am seriously thinking of picking up 2 levels of fighter to get the ranged feats.

Which ranged feats? If you are referring to PBS and Prescise Shot, usually at those levels it isn't really worth it since you have a decent BAB and are only trying to hit a touch AC. Though I personally prefer getting Precise Shot myself, but I don't think it is necessary at those levels. You are also going to push back invocations, increase damage die on EB and other Warlock abilities at that level. Are you sure it's worth it?

Tetsubo

First Post
A 20 level Warlock build I did:

Pavel the Enervated (AKA Coenric Winterhaven)

Human Male, Warlock, 1st Level, Chaotic Neutral

Str: 10 (2 points) +0
Dex: 14 (6 points) +2
Con: 10 (2 points) +0
Int: 14 (6 points) +2
Wis: 10 (2 points) +0
Cha: 16 (10 points) +3
28 Point Buy

Base Speed: 30
Languages: Common, Draconic, and Abyssal.

HP: 6
Initiative: +2 (+2 DX)
BAB: +0
BAB Melee: +0
BAB Missile: +2 (+2 DX)
Eldritch Blast: 1d6 (+1 within 30’), 60’ range +2 BAB, +3 BAB within 30’ (Ranged Touch Attack)
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2 (+2 DX), Will +2
Armour Class: 15 (+3 Studded Leather, +2 DX)

Skills: 1st level points: 20 (2 + 2 (+2 IN)) x 4 + 4 (Human Bonus) = 20
5 each following level (2 + 2 (+2 IN)) +1 (Human Bonus) = 5

Skills:
Bluff (CH) +5 (2 ranks + CH Bonus)
Concentration (CN) +2 (2 ranks)
Diplomacy (CH) +3 (CH Bonus) cc
Disguise (CH) +2 (CH Bonus) cc
Gather Information (CH) +3 (CH Bonus) cc
Intimidate (CH) +7 (4 ranks + CH Bonus)
Knowledge (Arcana) (IN) +4 (2 ranks + IN Bonus)
Knowledge (The Planes) (IN) +4 (2 ranks + IN Bonus)
Knowledge (Religion) (IN) +4 (2 ranks + IN Bonus)
Search (IN) +2 (IN Bonus) cc
Spellcraft (IN) +4 (2 ranks + IN Bonus)
Use Magic Device (CH) +7 (4 ranks + CH Bonus)

Feats: 2 total at 1st level
Point Blank Shot: +1 To Hit and Damage within 30’
Precise Shot: No BAB penalty for shooting into melee.

Invocations:
Eldritch Spear (Least, 1st level): Eldritch Blast range increased to 250’.

Equipment:
Studded Leather Armour (+3 AC, -1 Armour Penalty) Black color
Backpack
Bed Roll
Mess Kit
Waterskin
Two changes of clothes
1 Dagger (1d4 19-20/x2, 10 ft. RI. 1 lb. Piercing or slashing)
Spear (1d8/x3, 20 ft. RI, 6 lb. Piercing)
Flint & Steel
Rations (week)
Grooming Kit
Belt Pouch (7 gp)

Description:

Pavel is of slightly above average height (5’ 11”) and of slim build. He has thick, light brown hair (slightly darker than blond) which he wears long and often in a single braid. He also sports a neatly trimmed beard and moustache, which is kept short. His one most noticeable facial feature is his slightly off-centered nose (leans to the left). This gives him a bit of a rakish air.

Personal History:

Pavel the Enervated was born Coenric Winterhaven to Lord Cedric Winterhaven and Lady Gillian Winterhaven. His parents were both Wizards in good standing of the Northwall Mage’s Guild. His parents were very much stay at home, bookish Wizards. Not prone to leaving the city of Northwall let alone go adventuring. The most exciting bit of family “gossip” was that his Mother’s maternal Grandfather had been a Tiefling. The elder Winterhavens very much wanted their only child to grow up and become a Guild Mage as they had.

Coenric had a much different future planned…

He had learned at an early age that his parent’s Guild connections would gain him access to the Guild Library’s Restricted Stacks. Not only was this a good place to get away from people but it gave his parents the impression that he was studious. Mostly Coenric used his time to read old memoirs of past Guild spellcasters. He also took advantage of the quiet area to “entertain” female adepts and Guild apprentices. It was in these stacks that he first stumbled on information about Warlocks.

Warlocks appealed to Coenric’s rather volatile nature and interest in the raw magical power of the multiverse. He read every book he could find on the topic. He taught himself Draconic and Abyssal to gain the knowledge contained in the truly esoteric volumes on Invocations.

Coenric decided to try and become a Warlock in secret. After months of study, meditation and physical toil he found The Key. His power awakened and he let loose with his first Eldritch Blast. This was an eye opening experience for Coenric. Not least of which because he damaged a number of valuable books in the stacks. He couldn’t hide his research from his parents any longer. The Head Librarian informed his parents of what he had done and how he had done it. The ensuing row shook the walls of the Guild Tower.

Coenric took his belongings, a bit of gold he had and left the Tower and his parents behind.

As soon as he had left the city limits he changed his name and struck out into the world to make a name for himself as a Warlock.

Goals:

Pavel wants to become a great Warlock. He takes great pleasure in using his Eldritch Blast as often as he can. He sees himself as some sort of arcane living weapon, a mythic archer who never needs an external item to take down his targets. He also wants to show his parents that a Warlock can be just as important as a Guild Wizard can. He also secretly wants to earn a Lordship in his own right, rather than inherent such a title from his parents.

Personality:

Pavel is the quintessential 80’s era punk. Rebelling against his parent’s conservatism. He has a very selfish worldview. He is also rather short sighted. The larger, world picture is beyond him. He knows that there are starving people in the world. But that happens “over there”. If he were to encounter such a person face to face he would react on a personal level. He is fiercely loyal to those that except him for whom he is, Pavel the Enervated, Warlock at large. He enjoys being the charming rogue. He also enjoys the success with the ladies that his charm gains him.

The world is Pavel’s oyster… and he’s hungry. Now if he just had some money…

Alignment View:

Pavel will not knowingly harm an innocent. He will not attack an unarmed person unless in self-defense. If he perceives an armed or unarmed person as a threat he is not above a “preemptive strike”. He bases his views on how people act, rather than what they preach. He is a bit of a cad when it comes to women. He sees them as conquests rather than equals. This view could change but he would need to see a strong female in action first. He sees much of the world as resources for his own, personal use.

Build Plan: Feat, Invocation Choices and Ability Boosts

1st Level: Feats (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot), Invocation (Eldritch Spear)

2nd Level: Invocation (See the Unseen)

3rd Level: Feat (Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast)

4th Level: Invocation (Beguiling Influence), +1 CH

5th Level: N/A

6th Level: Feat (Extra Invocation: Flee the Scene), Invocation (Fell Flight)

7th Level: N/A

8th Level: Invocation (Walk Unseen), +1 CH

9th Level: Feat (Maximize Spell-like Ability: Eldritch Blast)

10th Level: Invocation (Brimstone Blast)

11th Level: Invocation (Vitriolic Blast)

12th Level: Feat (Improved Critical: Eldritch Blast), +1 CH

13th Level: Invocation (Eldritch Cone)

14th Level: N/A

15th Level: Feat (Quicken Spell-like Ability: Eldritch Blast), Invocation (Chilling Tentacles)

16th Level: Invocation (Retributive Invisibility, swap out Walk Unseen for Eldritch Chain), +1 CH

17th Level: N/A

18th Level: Feat (Inured to Energy: Fire ER +10), Invocation (Eldritch Doom)

19th Level: N/A

20th Level: Invocation (Utterdark Blast), +1 CH

Octal40

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
6th Level: Feat (Extra Invocation: Flee the Scene), Invocation (Fell Flight)
You can't take a 2nd grade invocation with that feat at this level. The feat only allows selection from one grade lower than your highest grade invocation.

tecnowraith

First Post
Hey all, I am back and I reply with a new character concept for the mega-adventure City of the Spider Queen, Underdark adventure. The idea for the character is that his the mysterious "gunslinger (like the old west)" or spellslinger for arcane that is also a a sniper. I need some suggestions on the build on race (no humans), feats and equipment. Invocations I can figure out but have ideas feel free. Some suggested the Strongheart Halfing for a good race. but any other ideas?

javcs

First Post
Kobold, perhaps.
Speed like medium, but harder to hit. And honestly, you're probably not going to care about your strength at all, the con penalty might hurt, but, as you say he's going to be sniping, he shouldn't be in melee anyway.

Quidam

First Post
If you're going gunslinger (considering that myself) you might think of the dual wand wielding feat in Complete Arcane. Burn extra charges to get two wands off in a round. Fits the gunslinger flavor spot on, but the prereq's are a bit steep- IIRC, craft wand and TWF.

Also- be sure to wear the right hat. Wide brim good.

DungeonMaester

First Post
tecnowraith said:

How are you going to get fly? not to rain on your idea, but feats dont steak with magic abilities, thus you would need to find some other method of flying other then Invocations. Or keep your DM in the dark. That is always a option :lol:

Other than that, Fly by attack and hover would be a great advantage to a warlock.

---Rusty

Quidam

First Post
Good point, as it states "you can fly at a speed" and not "you gain a fly speed", although I'd wager many DMs would be willing to house rule it.

Hover would be useless, however, as you fly with good maneuverability already.

brehobit

Explorer
tecnowraith said:
Hey all, I am back and I reply with a new character concept for the mega-adventure City of the Spider Queen, Underdark adventure. The idea for the character is that his the mysterious "gunslinger (like the old west)" or spellslinger for arcane that is also a a sniper. I need some suggestions on the build on race (no humans), feats and equipment. Invocations I can figure out but have ideas feel free. Some suggested the Strongheart Halfing for a good race. but any other ideas?
I would strongly suggest you look at the fey feats in PHBII...

Mark

Remove ads