Warlock Optimization

Quidam

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Feats that might help better with EB with 250ft range to give a boost AB and damage will help.

Weapon Focus (ranged spell) and Ranged Spell Specialization both work with Eldritch Blast, giving you +2 to your rays' damage and +1 to attack rolls.

For me it comes down to this: Expect to be firing into melee more often than not? Get PBS & Precise Shot. If not, get WF & RSS. Or get all four.

tecnowraith

First Post
Quidam said:
Weapon Focus (ranged spell) and Ranged Spell Specialization both work with Eldritch Blast, giving you +2 to your rays' damage and +1 to attack rolls.

For me it comes down to this: Expect to be firing into melee more often than not? Get PBS & Precise Shot. If not, get WF & RSS. Or get all four.

Ranged Spell Specialization is still not worth it IMO cause it works within 30ft. Why would a warlock be within 30ft when he can stay way back in safety blasting way when has Eldrirch Spear?

DungeonMaester

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
Honestly, for that type of build there are only three Invocations you need.

(Fly)
(Ethoric ward) [Or how ever its spelt]
(elderic Spear)

Stay out of melee range, ward of ranged attack and look out for spell casters.

---Rusty

Then this is most likely the best idea then. You can stay out of the of melee attack and deflect most spells and ranged attacks. That plus magic fly alows you to hover so there is a miss chance as well.

---Rusty

Raspen

First Post
if i had to pick invocations for a lvl 6 worloc i would go with

Dark one's own luck
Eldritch Glaive
Devil's Sight
EXT: Darkness

Flee the scene

this will let you set up a good run for the chr as you gain lvls

things to get later on would be Enervating shadows watch would incress your defence in close combat and make it so your Eldritch Glaive is a melee flat-footed touch attack at whatch time you will have more attack do to higher BAB perhaps even haste. you can also add an essence to it that would add to the damage.

the melee aproch to a worloc isnt for eveyone but it seems to be the most powerfull

other things to consinder is the things you will be fighting Wall of Perilous Flame is great vs undead and Vitriolic Blast is the only thing they can do aginst constructs so keep that in mind

nothing like a lvl 20 worloc attacking 3 times doing 11d6 and -2lvl per swing with an utterdark glaive and Chasuble of fell power.

Last edited:

DungeonMaester

First Post
Baelzabubba said:
What part of being able to hover enables some miss chance?

From the Feat Hover, on pg 304

Monster Manual said:
Creatures have concealment bonus at 15-20 feet. (20% miss chance.) At 25 feet or more creatures have total concealment (50% miss chance, creatures can not use sight to locate creature.)

Magic flight allows hovering but natural requires the feat.

Or you can use EW invocations and deflect any ranged attack.

---Rusty

Ahhh, no. the Hover feat in MM also generates a massive dust cloud based on the downstroke of wings. The feat specifically mentions wings, that's not extrapolation. Even then, the hover feat only creates the dust cloud for creatures that are Large or bigger.

If you are hovering due to flight magic, there is no dust cloud. If you are Medium or smaller and hovering under winged flight, there is no dust cloud.

I'll highlight the pertinent points.

RSRD: Monstrous Feats: Hover said:
HOVER [GENERAL]

Prerequisite: Fly speed.

Benefit: When flying, the creature can halt its forward motion and hover in place as a move action. It can then fly in any direction, including straight down or straight up, at half speed, regardless of its maneuverability.

If a creature begins its turn hovering, it can hover in place for the turn and take a full-round action. A hovering creature cannot make wing attacks, but it can attack with all other limbs and appendages it could use in a full attack. The creature can instead use a breath weapon or cast a spell instead of making physical attacks, if it could normally do so.

If a creature of Large size or larger hovers within 20 feet of the ground in an area with lots of loose debris, the draft from its wings creates a hemispherical cloud with a radius of 60 feet. The winds so generated can snuff torches, small campfires, exposed lanterns, and other small, open flames of non-magical origin. Clear vision within the cloud is limited to 10 feet. Creatures have concealment at 15 to 20 feet (20% miss chance). At 25 feet or more, creatures have total concealment (50% miss chance, and opponents cannot use sight to locate the creature).

Those caught in the cloud must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 10 + 1/2 creature’s HD) to cast a spell.

Normal: Without this feat, a creature must keep moving while flying unless it has perfect maneuverability.

DungeonMaester

First Post
kigmatzomat said:
Ahhh, no. the Hover feat in MM also generates a massive dust cloud based on the downstroke of wings. The feat specifically mentions wings, that's not extrapolation. Even then, the hover feat only creates the dust cloud for creatures that are Large or bigger.

If you are hovering due to flight magic, there is no dust cloud. If you are Medium or smaller and hovering under winged flight, there is no dust cloud.

I'll highlight the pertinent points.

First off, sorry for thread necromancy, but with College closed I did not have a way to the internets.

Second off, Thanks for catching my mistake. I make them every so often. :]

Third off, That Combo is very fun. My Warlock is currently 6th level with Fell flight, Invisbilty Invoc, and EW invoc. (The Names fail me at the moment) How ever, this makes a for a very sneaky Warlock. What now Goblin Ninja?

---Rusty

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I am not sure what level you have to be to take it, but I think the MOST POWERFUL ability you can take is...

Voracious Dispelling.

The warlock in our party has that and it has absolutely no end of uses.

Warlock screwed by a spell but conscious...dispel away...you can use your SLA without having to do anything but think.

Don't trust the party thief to check for traps on that door....dispel away 20 times on it.

Vaguely worried about a bad guy being too powerful....dispel away.

Summoned monsters that have 500HP? Dispel away.

Thats one useful ability.

DS

Krafen

First Post
Sabathius42 said:
Warlock screwed by a spell but conscious...dispel away...you can use your SLA without having to do anything but think.

All Warlock invocations have a somatic component, so they cannot be used while immobilized or grappled.

Remove ads