RFC: Hear Bow Wielder PrC (Long)

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Hail and Well Met all.

I am a long time reader of these forums and finally decided to register and partake of the wisdom contained on these boards.

I've created a PrC for my campaign that is really specifically for a single player. I tend to do things like that for my players. This is going to end up being a very high end campaign and the PrC is meant to be taken once the Bow has been obtained, so I can control when I am ready to allow this as an option so it doesn't disrupt campaign balance.

Bearing that in mind, I had to create a few things in order to tie this prestige class together and make it appear in the way I wanted it to. The Heart Bow concept is blatently stolen from a old movie called Archer: Fugitive from the Empire.

Please comment as you see fit and bear in mind this is my first PrC and meant to be fairly powerful.

Magic Effects:

Force: Upon command, a forceful weapon is sheathed in an eerie luminescent glow. The weapon does not harm the hands that hold it. Forceful weapons deal +1d6 points of damage on a successful hit and require the target to make a Fortitude save (DC 15) or knocked down and stunned for 1d2 rounds by concussive force. Bows, crossbows, and slings so enchanted bestow the forceful energy upon their ammunition.
Caster Level: 8th Level; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s Clenched Fist; Market Price: +2 bonus.

Forceful Burst: A forceful burst weapon functions as a forceful weapon that also explodes with an additional concussive force upon striking a successful critical hit. The weapon will not harm the hands that hold it. Forceful burst weapons deal +1d10 points of bonus forceful damage on a critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is X3, add +2d10 points of bonus forceful damage instead and if the multiplier is X4, add +3d10 points of bonus forceful damage. Bows, crossbows, and slings so enchanted bestow the forceful energy upon their ammunition.
Caster Level: 10th Level; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Bigby’s Clenched Fist; Market Price: +3 bonus.

Heart Bows:

Elb, Ember and Enilno, the Three Heart Bows. They were crafted to destroy the minions of Darkness during the Great War by the Great Conclave of sorcerers, druids and rangers. The three bows were imbued with the sentience and power of the 3 most powerful of the Great Conclave and then chose their bearers from the remaining members.

The power of each heart bow is contained within a gem inset within the grip of each bow which, when held in, makes perfect contact with the palm of the bearer. Ember’s gem is a bright fire opal; Elb’s is a dark ruby and Enilno’s is a black onyx. Additionally, each heart bow also has an alignment that must match that of its bearer. Ember’s is neutral good, Elb’s is chaotic good and Enilno’s is lawful good. The burst of force matches the color of the heart bows gem. A heart bow causes a negative level and +1d6 of forceful damage per round of being touched by someone of a non-compatible alignment or a bearer in conflict with the heart bow’s alignment. In addition, a bearer of a heart bow must have one level of the heart bow wielder prestige class and be branded in order to use it.

A Heart Bow can only infuse magical arrows with its effects. Non-magical arrows function as normal arrows.

Each Heart Bow is a +3 Intelligent Short Bow of Forceful Burst.
Empathic with Bearer, Wis: 11, Int: 8, Cha: 9. Ego: 16
Hardness: (Ironwood) 13 Hit Points: 33 (+3 magic item needed to damage the bow)
Alignment possibilities are noted above
Primary Alternate Ability: Free use of Darkvision (alternate of Blind-Fight).
Extraordinary Power: Cat’s Grace 1/Day.
Extraordinary Power: Haste 1/Day.

Heart Bow Wielder

Some evil was so resistant to magic and so corrupt that it could only be confronted by courageous archers, willing to risk their very souls to combat the evil. An enclave of the most powerful sorcerers, druids and rangers was conveyed to create 3 mighty bows of unrivaled power. Only those who were most true to their beliefs could ever wield them. To the bows would be given the power to choose their bearers.

To be the Chosen of a heart bow was one of the highest honors one could achieve in the Great War against the Darkness. Once chosen, a bearer would then be able to practice and hone the skills necessary to understand and utilize the bond between bearer and bow.
Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify as a heart bow wielder, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Hide 4 Ranks, Move Silently 4 Ranks, Concentration 4 Ranks.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot

Class Skills
The heart bow wielder’s class skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Heart Bows) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1 +1 +0 +1 +1 Brand
2 +2 +0 +2 +2 Weapon Specialization Bonus Feat
3 +3 +1 +3 +3 Melee Attack
4 +3 +2 +3 +4 Close Combat Shot
5 +4 +2 +4 +4 -
6 +5 +3 +4 +5 Infusion
7 +6 +4 +5 +5 Blast Effect
8 +6 +5 +6 +6 Improved Critical Bonus Feat
9 +7 +6 +7 +6 See Invisibility
10 +8 +6 +8 +7 True Strike

Class Features
The following are class features of the heart bow wielder prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Heart bow wielders gain no weapon or armor proficiencies. All weapon related abilities of this prestige class apply only to the Heart Bow with which the character is using.
Brand: When a wielder accepts a heart bow, they are branded by the bow with a small arrow burned diagonally in the center of their chest. The brand does 1d6 points of damage per level of the wielder and permanently absorbs 1 point of Constitution to bind the bow to the bearer. Being accepted by a heart bow is potentially fatal.
Weapon Specialization Bonus Feat: The wielder automatically gains Weapon Specialization: Heart Bow as a bonus Feat. This is an affect of being bonded with the bow. This is as per the Players Handbook explanation of Weapon Specialization.
Melee Attack: The wielder can use the bow as a melee weapon in pinch, learning how to deflect weapon attacks and strike back using the bows forceful damage properties while minimizing or negating damage done to the bow.

Close Combat Shot: The heart bow wielder no longer provokes an attack of opportunity when firing with the heart bow in a threatened area.
Infusion: The wielder gains the ability to infuse the bow with experience points in order to do the following: repair the heart bows hit points (effectively repairing damage) at 50 experience points and one hour per hit point repaired or infuse the bow with an additional dwemor ‘To Hit’ using the House Rules as a guideline.
Blast Effect: The wielder gains the ability to cause a 10’ radius blast area effect when using the bow to fire into an object, such as the ground or a wall. All damage die’s are one type lower then normal.
Improved Critical Bonus Feat: The heart bow wielder gains the Improved Critical Feat as per the Players Handbook when using the heart bow.
See Invisibility: As per the Wizard/Sorcerer spell and useable once per day.
True Strike: At 10th Level the heart bow wielder can produce an effect identical to that of a true strike spell. This ability functions as if cast by a Wizard/Sorcerer of a similar level and may be used once per day.

Lily Inverse

First Post
I have a few basic problems with this concept

I've created a PrC for my campaign that is really specifically for a single player.

One of the cardinal points of PrC's is that they represent organizations and groups, not individuals. Thus, a PrC that cannot be taken by more than one person is a bad idea.

. . . so I can control when I am ready to allow this as an option so it doesn't disrupt campaign balance.

This is what class requirements are for. Also, what happens if he loses the bow or decides that he'd rather nor have it?

Also, define "High-level." If you're talking "Beyond 20th" then I would recommend waiting until the new book on that very subject comes out next month before taking drastic measures like this. You may find that something better is there. As it stands, I really find I can't pass judgement. If this was a pretiege class that anybody could take, I'd say far too stong, as a human ranger could pick it up at 4th level.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Well, the class doesn't really much that couldn't be achieved by taking Deep Woods Sniper and Order of the Bow Initiate. It just sort of mashes those classes together. That said I don't think it's over powered (at least relative to those two classes) and is arguably weaker as they get fewer class abilities than either. Also most of the class abilites I don't think are as good.

However, Lily Inverse is wrong about it being able to be taken by a 4th lvl ranger. It has a +5 BAB requirement, that means a minimum of 5th lvls in fighter BAB type classes, before being able to take it. The three feats would also require a non-human, non-fighter to be at least 6th in order to take the class.

Lily's point about Prestige classes not being for single characters, however is a good one. But it is your campaign.

I would however change the Weapon Specialization to Improved Weapon Specialization. Most archer characters worth their salt would have that by 6th level and if they don't it's not a problem.

Lily Inverse

First Post
However, Lily Inverse is wrong about it being able to be taken by a 4th lvl ranger. It has a +5 BAB requirement, that means a minimum of 5th lvls in fighter BAB type classes, before being able to take it.

Good point. I stand corrected on this one.

Looking at it again it might not be too overpowered, but something about this still makes me feel very uneasy. Generally, if I don't get a good feeling about it I don't let it into my campaigns, as I usually end up getting powergamed into the ground by something that seemed reasonable at the time. It might just be the fact that this class is only available to three people in the world.

One thing to keep in mind is to NOT plan any scenario around PCs losing equipment after the bow is acquired. The way I'm reading this is that the PC becomes entirely dependent upon the weapon to function, and loses many (if not all) class abilities without it. This is even worse than denying a Samurai (From OA) their ancestral weapons! Trust me, you WILL get complaints about this.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Re: I have a few basic problems with this concept

Lily Inverse said:

One of the cardinal points of PrC's is that they represent organizations and groups, not individuals. Thus, a PrC that cannot be taken by more than one person is a bad idea.

This may be true but I disagree with it. I think individual PrC are a fine idea.

My concerns are that the Base attack and saves are not standard.

I would reccomend using the fighter attack progression and choosing one good saveing throw.

Other than that rock on!

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Lily and Rackhir - Thank you for the comments, I do appreciate them.

On to a reply:

Lily - There are some official exceptions to the recommendation of PrC's representing organizations and groups and not individuals, such as the Majester and Spellfire Wielder from Magic of Faerun I believe (at work and without D&D books).

Well, more then one person could take the class, technically. If they had the means to obtain a Heart Bow of the proper alignment (matching theirs). Really that isn't an issue as all my other players are pretty ho-hum about it.

I realize the requirements are designed to limit when someone can take a prestige class. I simply don't agree that in all cases it should be the only consideration. Spellfire Wielder is another example of this, requiring the DM to okay it so someone can take it.

High Level for us would be 13+. We are considering the Epic Handbook release. Once I get the book, I might revisit this PrC. The PC in question won't be 8th level by the time the book is released, so I have some time to consider how to pursue this.

Obviously the BAB has been addressed. I've actually considered raising that slightly.

I don't have a problem with this player being a powergamer, nor really any of my players.

Yes, the player is aware she would lose significant power should something happen to her bow. No, she wouldn't complain, she accepts the fact she will be greatly dimished without it -- but then I am not the type of DM that would take it away or destroy it without giving her some torturous method that would give her the opportunity to adventure to re-obtain it.

I've used this bow/concept before in 1st Edition AD&D with the same player years ago and she begged for me to find a way to bring it back...and this seemed better then making he wait till 17+ to give her the bow like I did last time.

I realize it may not fly in your campaigns or with your players...but all of our campaigns and players are different...I was mostly looking to see if others thought it was balanced in concept.

Rackhir - I didn't realize that. I will have to get the books those are in. I will consider the Improved Weapon Specialization though, that seems pretty sound advice.

Again, thank you both.

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: I have a few basic problems with this concept

trentonjoe said:

This may be true but I disagree with it. I think individual PrC are a fine idea.

My concerns are that the Base attack and saves are not standard.

I would reccomend using the fighter attack progression and choosing one good saveing throw.

Other than that rock on!

Hmmm. I hadn't considered that.

Thanks!

Rackhir

Explorer
Order of the Bow Initiate is in "Sword and Fist".

Deep Woods Sniper is in "Masters of the Wild".

Re: Nonstandard Saves/BAB - You do have odd saves for the class and that probably should be fixed, but it is not unusual for a prestige class to have more than one "good" save.

It should definitely have a fighter BAB progression. Aside from Psychic warrior (essentially a fighter/mage from the Psionics handbook) every other Fighting class has the +1/lv BAB progression.

The Heart Bow concept is blatently stolen from a old movie called Archer: Fugitive from the Empire.

I do have vague memories of the show/movie the class is based on. It and "Hawk : The Slayer" were classics among my high school D&D gaming group. So I can well understand the desire to use it, I think it was one of the reasons I've run a number of archer characters over the years (As my handle would indicate to anyone who knows Michael Moorcock's books).

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
Rackhir said:
Order of the Bow Initiate is in "Sword and Fist".

Deep Woods Sniper is in "Masters of the Wild".

Re: Nonstandard Saves/BAB - You do have odd saves for the class and that probably should be fixed, but it is not unusual for a prestige class to have more than one "good" save.

It should definitely have a fighter BAB progression. Aside from Psychic warrior (essentially a fighter/mage from the Psionics handbook) every other Fighting class has the +1/lv BAB progression.

The Heart Bow concept is blatently stolen from a old movie called Archer: Fugitive from the Empire.

I do have vague memories of the show/movie the class is based on. It and "Hawk : The Slayer" were classics among my high school D&D gaming group. So I can well understand the desire to use it, I think it was one of the reasons I've run a number of archer characters over the years (As my handle would indicate to anyone who knows Michael Moorcock's books).

I'll pick those up.

Re-work the saves a tad and take a look at the BAB progression.

Hawk: The Slayer was a great movie. I had a tough time buying a copy of that originally when I went looking for it about a year ago.

It just seems like such a cool concept, even if it does mean the PC becomes dependant on a weapon. I figure as long as the player wants to risk it..I'm game.

Aye, I recognized your handle. MM writes some excellent books. Wished he had written thicker books though heh.

Rackhir

Explorer
Aye, I recognized your handle. MM writes some excellent books. Wished he had written thicker books though heh.

Thicker isn't necessarily better. Take a look at the most recent Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" book. It can swallow the entire Elric Saga, yet only 1 major plot point and two minor plot points were resolved in the 700 or so pages of the book. Gods what a waste of paper that was.

It just seems like such a cool concept, even if it does mean the PC becomes dependant on a weapon.

I don't really see anything wrong personally with tying the character to a single weapon. Most heroes in fantasy have one iconic weapon that they are associated with.

Remove ads