Bard/Barb Dragon Disciple build.

"Smalls" Good

First Post
Okay here is what I think, Spell casting is going to be secondary to this character but singing is not, especially singing in combat according to the Blacklamb. So while I do think the important stats are the melee stats (str, con, dex) I think cha is somewhat important. Here is how I would build this character Barb/Bard/Barb/Barb/Bard/DD The skill points you get a a bard will be well used in both Arcane Knoweledge and Perform thus meeting the requirements for the Prestige class as well as maximizing your effectizeness with the Bardic song abilities such as Inspire Courage. The biggest downside is that if you go strictly "by the book" you will not be able to use the Bardic song abillity to inspire courage in your allies while raging. The reason I think you start with Barb is that if your are the Hero of some tribe then you are at heart a barb, the bard should just represent that you are being trained as the tribes lorekeeper/historian and your illieracy represents the fact that they are all verbal traditions. Or you could start with Bard but I would keep the story the same and just say your character is illiterate. :lol:

Blacklamb

First Post
Interesting Smalls, and I agree very much about the singing.
However I believe starting as a Bard would fit more for what I have in plan story wise. He would have been taught primarily as a thinker and historian, while of course having to do other things for the tribe. I do like the Idea of keeping with the illiterate thing. I think ill do that. I believe the barbarian however would happen after a tragic event. And his lack of trained fighting skills(compared to a First class fighter or Barbarian) will go nicely thematically. In this way I believe I would be able to continue on with what I had imagined. I think I will go Bard/Barbarian/Barbarian/Bard/Barbarian/Dragon Disciple X, Just as Jack Smith had suggested.
I am however still interested in alternate ideas for feats.
Or if I should go just as Evilhalfling suggested, due to the fact that no other ideas were post due to Evilhalfling ideas being perfect?

Blacklamb

Last edited:

"Smalls" Good

First Post
Blacklamb said:
I think I will go Bard/Barbarian/Barbarian/Bard/Barbarian/Dragon Disciple X, Just as Jack Smith had suggested.
I am however still interested in alternate ideas for feats.
Or if I should go just as Evilhalfling suggested, due to the fact that no other ideas were post due to Evilhalfling ideas being perfect?

Blacklamb
Hmm I don't have any of the books infront of me as I am at work but I will think on the feats and get back to you, however you should consider doing Bard/Barb/Barb/Barb/Bard/DD just because to move to DD at 6th you need your Knoweldge Arcana at 8 ranks and since it is cross class for a barbarian you would not be able to meet that requirement. That is because at 4th level (the last leve you are planning on taking bard) your Max Class Skill ranks is 7 and at 5th level your max cross class ranks is 4 so unles you only have 3 ranks in Arcane entering 5th you will not be able to spend any skill points on it and even then you could only spend 2 to bring it to a 4. But if you do Bard at level 5 then your max ranks for class skills including Arcane is 8 thereby opening the door for you to move into Dragon Disciple at level 6. Bastard sword is only a good idea if you are going to spend the exotic on it to use it 1h otherwise it is a wasted feat if you are going to use it martial 2h and discard it once you grow claws/fangs in favor of a 1h weapon. I know there are some cool rage based feats in the Cwar and i think some more in the Cadv. As for spells I agree with Evilhalfling about the cure light, grease, featherfall but what does inspirational boost do? I don't have the Cadv just looked at down at the store :)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Insperational Boost is a swift action spell - it adds +1 to hit and damage to your next inspire courage song.
I tend to HR the class limitations on skills for multiclass characters.
im glad ya like my build - you could also go with a tribal weapon of some sort.

Nyeshet

First Post
If you have access to UA, it may be more in theme to use the Savage Bard variant. It exchanges the good reflex save for a good fortitude save, and it alters some spells (removes some, adds some), as well as some skills (adds Survival, removes Decipher Script). Its main drawback is the illiteracy, but then you could use a skill point or two to gain that, as I recall.

It would not necessarily be an optimum build, but it would be more in theme with the bard / barbarian view. The Barbarian becomes a Skald, basically, and then begins to take on the traits of a dragon.

Last edited:

Blacklamb

First Post
Nyeshet, Nice!
I did not even think of useing UA, because it's at a friends house. But I will defiantly look into it, as you suggestions were perfect.

And yes I know it is not an Optimum build, but thank you for the advise, I am quite egar for the weekend so I can check out UA!

Thank you again for all the ideas, and of course any others would be great but I have a pretty firm idea on how I'll be making this character.

Also Happy News years to all, be safe!

Blacklamb

Shin Okada

Explorer
Do you definitely want to play a bard/barbarian? If not, Hexblade can be another option. Hexblade 5 (or Hexblade 4/fighter 1) can qualify for Dragon Disciple without losing BAB.

Diirk

First Post
How about bard, bard, bard, barb, bard ? Still only lose 1 BAB, no cross class skills necessary, 2nd level spells plus more singing. The lots and lots of 2nd level spells (from DD bonus spells) is especially nice; cure moderate wounds, heroism, glitterdust etc

Blacklamb

First Post
Gah!

Darn you Diirk!
Here I was all thinkin' I had a solid plan then you come and hit right on that little nagging spot in my brain that was saying, "What if..."

hehe Thanks!

Ill think I'll have to reponder the class progression, or maybe work it a little more organically according to how the game plays out... what to choose...what to choose

Shin, yes I want to go with the bard, but thank you for the comment about Hex blades. Maybe for another character. :)

Blacklamb

Remove ads