Do you DM sitting or standing?

Wycen

Explorer
Ok, that probably is a question out of left field, but last weekend I decided to try something at my Sunday night session.

Previously I had to give a presentation at work, a dog and pony show to make our manager happy. I was nervous despite my manager being out of the room and knowing all the attendees.

But then I realized, what if I stood up while running my game, instead of sitting in my chair?

By standing, the group is forced to look up at me, instead of allowing me to hide behind the DM screen. Perhaps this focused their attention more, or perhaps it gives me the superior position, making my job as DM "easier"? Rather than react to their movement, I could see the map and positions better. Supposedly when you stand you speak louder and clearer.

So far, I would say all I noticed was around hour 3 I was looking forward to sitting again, but I'll give it a whirl again for our next session.

So who sits and who stand when running a game?

Crothian

First Post
I actually had a thread on this a few years back because I noticed I stood where others sit. I like to stand, but I also stand a lot at work so I sit and stand and stand and sit.

Funeris

First Post
I sit at the center of the group and we're all level for the roleplaying/dialog portions.

When battle goes down, I'm standing and rushing around the room with a clipboard in my hands.

Of course, this could give them the perception of being on an even-footing with the NPCs while I sit (which is the way it should be. If an NPC is some uber-character I might stand...but I don't like to do that to them). Constant motion and standing during battle helps to give that rushed, adrenaline-filled feeling.

I also use different music, too. ;)

Just MHO though.

~Fune

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I tend to sit down to GM, though in some cases I have stood up for short times usually when I really need the players to pay attention. Maybe I should consider that more often.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
For the most part, we sit, but occasionally [since we tend to play for like 8 hours at a time] we stand up, walk around, etc while playing. We do this whether we're controlling PCs or we're the DM. DM needs to look at his computer more than us cause all his notes are there, so he doesn't really stand as much.

FickleGM

Explorer
It depends on where I am gaming. If I am gaming in a more confined area, I'll sit (otherwise I feel like I am in the players' space). If the area is more open, I'll alternate (depending on how long I can tolerate standing).

shilsen

Adventurer
Both. For the game in my story hour I sit, since there's not enough space to stand. For my other game I usually stand, since there is enough space, and sometimes sit. No real preference, and ideally I'd do both in a session.

Remove ads