Do you DM sitting or standing?

kenobi65

First Post
Sitting is the default position, but I tend to stand up when things get animated (the party is talking to a hyper NPC, during combat, etc.)

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Usually sit at the same level as the players. No screen, and standing out of necessity to get to the battlemap.

On the other hand, I used to DM sitting on a high stool, much like a barstool. I could use the screen and still not be "hiding" behind it. I rather liked that, and if I still had the stool, I'd probably be doing that.

Wycen

Explorer
Looking back at previous games I've ran, I know I've done both and I guess environment has something to do with it. When one group I play with meets at a friend's place, one guy usually stands when he's the DM. His minis and gear are at the kitchen counter top, higher than the table where the mat and map are and we sit or stand around the table.

With the group that prompted this thread, it's like I'm forced to sit down. The "DM's chair" is at the head of the dinner table. Flanked on one side by a small table holding napkins and an Elmo toy, the other by a bookcase and boxes miniatures. You pretty much gotta sit in the chair. Unfortunately, the chair doesn't move well, having wheels, but sitting on a plush carpet. I've been getting annoyed at being "trapped" the last few weeks. Throw in his new kid crawling along the floor and something had to change.

exile

First Post
As a player, I sit about 70% of the time and stand about 30% of the time. As a DM, I probably stand 50% of the time. When seated as a DM, I'm typically at the head of teh table, though not usually seated any higher than the players.
Chad

James Heard

Explorer
I sit down at games when only when I'm eating pizza and nodding a lot to make the players think I'm listening and not just adoring yummy cheese.

Remove ads