Do you DM sitting or standing?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I typically GM in a living room at a coffee table. Standing would put my reference materials where I couldn't easily get to them, so I sit. But given that it is a low table, the screen dowsn't block me from view in the slightest.

ForceUser said:
I sit, stand, pace, jump, hop, shimmy and dance. I even wave my arms in the air like I just don't care. I'm a full-body Dungeon Master.

I know no other way.

I am on my feet for 90% of the time. Here I pretend to swing, club, project magical effects or any other acts of craziness we call a game. The 10% I sit is when they take a smoking break. I'll sit and review options and pacing of the game.

Glyfair

Explorer
I sit because there really isn't enough room to easily move around. When room is available, I'll probably spend 1/3 to 1/2 of the game session standing and moving around. Usually I'll be moving around when in character or when running a combat.

catsclaw227

First Post
ForceUser said:
I sit, stand, pace, jump, hop, shimmy and dance. I even wave my arms in the air like I just don't care. I'm a full-body Dungeon Master.

I'm the same, though I lean towards standing more than sitting. I am usually quite animated and love to get into the action. It depends on the pace, if they are planning an equipment sale/purchase or are having an intimate conversation over candlelight with a sage, I certainly sit, but during battle, dungeoneering, overland and other action oriented adventuring, I stand.

Even when our sessions are 10-12 hours long (which is typical, every other week).

carolina

First Post
Generally, I stand. But when the gaming situation is less formal (say the living room, rather than the game room at the game store), then I'll sit at the same level as the players.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Wycen said:
So who sits and who stand when running a game?

I do both, but mostly I stand. The table we play at is high, and if I don't stand I can't reach figures or draw well on the map. Standing lets me move around more and keeps me focused on what's going on. I don't use a screen, so I can see my die rolls better, and keep a better eye on the action.

I'll sit for some purely interaction scenes, or when I get tired.

Starglim

Explorer
I often stand and walk a bit forward, in order to stay alert and involved, project my voice better and to move miniatures and interact with players easily. I keep my notes behind a DM screen at the end of the table which tends to be behind me.

If I couldn't easily walk up beside the map (due to confined space) I would probably remain seated.

MithrilKnight

First Post
I start my games seated at the dining room table behind two full-size DM screens. And I'm usually planted back there until those famous words are uttered: "Roll for initiative."

Then, I'm standing for the combat because I have to draw the combat map and watch the minis and I can't see everything from behind the DM screens. But I don't want to go without the screens because I like to have the books open and materials all in front of me to manage the combats -- and I'd give away too much in some cases if I went without the screens.

Remove ads