• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you DM sitting or standing?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Wycen said:
So who sits and who stand when running a game?
Wycen said:
By standing, the group is forced to look up at me, instead of allowing me to hide behind the DM screen. Perhaps this focused their attention more, or perhaps it gives me the superior position, making my job as DM "easier"? Rather than react to their movement, I could see the map and positions better. Supposedly when you stand you speak louder and clearer.
That's true, and I use that when I need it.

I also sit, stand, move around, etc. Depends on what mood I'm wanting to portray.

Tetsubo

First Post
I do both. I'll sit for a while, then I'll stand and occasionally pace. I will also get up to demonstrate NPC actions and such.

Sejs

First Post
Both.

I tend to start off seated and end up standing after a little while. I get into the dialogue, or I'm drawing out a map, or moving minis, or whatever. I'll eventually abandon my seat.

Then later, a lull will happen, I'll sit back down, check my notes maybe, etc. When things pick back up I'll wind up right back on my feet again.

Though as others have said (Jdvn1 and Drowbane in particular) a lot will also depend on what tone I'm trying to communicate to my players. Body language is very important, particularly in situations where you're trying to portray multiple NPCs at once in a scene.

fusangite

First Post
I tend to stand about 60% of the time when I run combat but only about 10% of the rest of the time. Sitting and standing are never things I think about consciously; they're just responses to the energy in the room.

Heathen72

Explorer
Both for me, but most of the time on my feet. I tend to physicalize a lot, especially when the BBEG's begin posturing. Combats draw me back to the gaming table, but I still jump up to physicalize the wild swings and dramatic moments.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Strangely, it depends upon the game. If I'm using a GM's screen and a mat, I stand. This usually happens with D&D and Star Wars d20.

For everything else, I sit back in my chair.

I sat while running 2e back in college but eventually switched to standing out of necessity due to mass combat; only an octopus could sit while running a combat on 4 battlemats. Any session where I expect combat will have me standing. I will sit for a given session if I know there's no combat but the getting up & sitting down interrupts the flow.

Remove ads