Musical instruments

gray stranger

First Post
do the Enworlders play musical instruments or have played musical instruments?

I've been playing bass guitar (A squier jazz bass for those interested ;) ) for a year and a half now and it has seriously affected my life in that I know constantly want to listen to all kinds of music, even while studying, talking to people and during class

Jabberwocky

orchid blossom

Explorer
I have played tenor saxophone and flute, and had 3 semesters with of piano lessons. I was pretty good at the sax but it's been years and I find my skill has degraded. A lot. I'd really enjoy a chance to play again, also to be in choir again.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm on hiatus from community band right now, but I've played Bb clarinet for over 15 years. I just started playing Eb clarinet last year.

I played oboe in a community band once as well, but I haven't played oboe in years.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I played clarinet for a while, though I didn't like it much. Was a little bit of a family thing though. Finally got to leave after 10th grade. I coulda been pretty good had I practiced, but I didn't really want to play that particular instrument.

Now, I only practice the Air Guitar occasionally. ;)

LightPhoenix

First Post
I can sing a little, but I'm a brass player at heart, twelve years. I can use a piano, but I wouldn't call what I do playing. And I'm starting to pick up basic drum set.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I play clarinet and drums.

I mess around on guitar and piano.

I've played a variety of brass instruments before.

I really like to compose music.

My first composition got great reviews, and I was almost in a magazine for playing drums.

I heart music and I'd like to do it professionally, but I don't think I ever will. That's a tough business to get into.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I heart music and I'd like to do it professionally, but I don't think I ever will. That's a tough business to get into.

Yeah, when the time came for me to make a choice between music and biochem in college, my heart said music but I knew it wouldn't have worked out. It sucked, but it was nice to dream... :)

sydbar

Explorer
I played the trombone, and was in choir in school, and tried doing both in one year and found out that doing both was exhausting, so i decided that my voice weighed alot less than my trombone, and stuch with choir.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I am a multi-instrumentalist (mainly keyboard and guitar) and singer. I've played in several bands, some of which have won (minor ;)) awards and been recorded professionally, selling (small amounts of ;)) CDs. Two bands gigged regularly for a few years (i.e., it was a living). It was a fantastic life, but in the end.. things changed, so I then ran myself into the ground gaining some useful I.T. qualifications. Now I work in I.T. (it's a living, I guess), but I still jam with some of the guys, and hopefully there will be opportunities to record some of my more recent (and far better) songs. I'd like that.

Ah, dreams. The stuff of life. Or wait. . . :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I grew up the son of a music teacher- music lessons were a given.

I sing (when allergies permit), used to play cello, occasionally play my fretless accoustic-electric bass guitar, and play some kind of music on my Yamaha classical, Ovation Elite, or my Dean EVO Special Select or Cadillac Time Capsule* electrics on a daily basis...all for personal enjoyment. The last group I belonged to/public performance was when I was 6th chair cellist in the Denver Student Orchestra in the late 1970's- one year after taking up the instrument. For the record, the 1st & 2nd chair cellists both played professionally as well, so I was pretty hot stuff- "gifted" was used to describe me. However, one of my teachers in the '80s made cello into a chore, and I quit.

Now...I'm an entertainment attorney. The music lessons etc. give me a really good perspective on the whole biz.

*see my avatar

Last edited:

Remove ads