Musical instruments

der_kluge

Adventurer
dragonhead said:
I play an instrament that proves my manilyness, the FLUTE... :heh:, well i did in high school. i now play the guitar while learning to play the bass.

I love the flute. That was my first choice in high school, but Kelli Allison was playing the clarinet, so I switched. I don't love Kelli Allison anymore, but I still do love the clarinet. :lol:

I also have a Fife - two actually. That I love to play. I like that I can just pick it up and play them. No assembly required. :)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
I play clarinet...
I really like to compose music.
I heart music and I'd like to do it professionally, but I don't think I ever will. That's a tough business to get into.

Are you my soulmate?

What kind of music do you compose? I've been working on some stuff for band, and I've taken to writing for wind quintet lately as well.

I took piano lessons for years as a kid, and I still play pretty regularly. Kinda workaday; I can't do improv, and I'm not that good, but it's still something I've kept up and enjoy.

I also played several years of marching and concert band trombone. I seriously doubt I could even form a decent embouchre (sic?) today, though.

der_kluge said:
I love the flute.
I also have a Fife - two actually. That I love to play. I like that I can just pick it up and play them. No assembly required. :)
See, that's different. The fife has a Revolutionary War re-enactment, or fife and drum core vibe. That's eccentric, I'll grant you, but not at all girly. ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ambrus said:
I roll-played a violinist in a LARP once. I even built a great violin prop that actually fooled a real violinist. Does that count? :heh:
In a band I was in, one of the guitarists picked up a steel rod (it was a part of a stand), hold it up to his lips like a flute, and whistle. He fooled both the conductor and a flutist.

I **** you not.

Jdvn1

der_kluge said:
Are you my soulmate?
Probably not. Are you a really hot 23 year-old girl? :lol:
der_kluge said:
What kind of music do you compose? I've been working on some stuff for band, and I've taken to writing for wind quintet lately as well.
I've composed for small wind ensembles (mixed trios), orchestra (though that hasn't been performed), and I've also composed music for rock and jazz bands.

I haven't composed in a while, though, due to not having time.

Conaill

First Post
I suck at musical instruments in general, but I play a mean didgeridoo!

(And by "mean" I mean that's it's pretty cruel to any bystanders when I do play it ;))

Eeralai

First Post
I taught music in the public schools and privately and played the double bass professionally for awhile. But the life of all music all the time was not for me. Did not leave anytime for the more interesting aspects of life. So I quit completely and have never looked back.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wish I could play a flute or french horn...always loved the wind instruments...but with my aforementioned allergies, I'd be too inconsistent.

I almost bought a harp once at an antique mall. The owner was downsizing from a 10k sq ft house to a 5k sq ft house and needed to get rid of some stuff. It was a handmade midsized floor harp from Europe for $500- a real steal- but I was too shortsighted to bite the bullet.

Jdvn1

Dannyalcatraz said:
I wish I could play a flute or french horn...always loved the wind instruments...but with my aforementioned allergies, I'd be too inconsistent.
My brother plays the french horn very well. In my opinion...
best brass: french horn
best woodwind: clarinet
best string: cello

They're all mellow, deep sounds with versatility.
I almost bought a harp once at an antique mall. The owner was downsizing from a 10k sq ft house to a 5k sq ft house and needed to get rid of some stuff. It was a handmade midsized floor harp from Europe for $500- a real steal- but I was too shortsighted to bite the bullet.
Oh, that's an amazing price! Put another zero on that and it'd be a normal price.

Remove ads