Musical instruments

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I almost bought a harp once at an antique mall. The owner was downsizing from a 10k sq ft house to a 5k sq ft house and needed to get rid of some stuff. It was a handmade midsized floor harp from Europe for $500- a real steal- but I was too shortsighted to bite the bullet.

Oh, that's an amazing price! Put another zero on that and it'd be a normal price.

Oh, I know...that rhythmic "thwacking" sound you hear is my foot doing 5/4 time on my butt (as in, I'm still kicking myself over it)!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
I've composed for small wind ensembles (mixed trios), orchestra (though that hasn't been performed), and I've also composed music for rock and jazz bands.

I haven't composed in a while, though, due to not having time.

Do you use composition software, or just pencil and paper?

Drummer, multi-percussionist, singer, songwriter, audio engineer, producer...professional. :)

And yeah, it ain't all limos, beer and chicks people. Don't let the music videos fool ya.
I don't suggest getting in this line of work unless you don't want any friends in the business, oh and get a VERY GOOD LAWYER!!

delericho said:
I play the bagpipes, and have done for 22 years now.
YOU are my hero. I have a chanter I torture the cat and my family with... utmost respect to the pipers!!!!!

One of my favorite pastimes here is to crank up my Rouges CD on the car stereo and go cruising through the neighborhood - with an emphasis on HOOD if you take my meaning...
Let's just say, I get a few strange looks. :cool:

Kastil

Explorer
I played the flute and piccolo I taught my parents that yes, this instrument can be loud since they wouldn't allow the trumpet in the house) in my time. I still have both instruments but unfortunately have no place to play them. The last time I pulled my flute out was when my son was learning the recorder in 5th grade. I, being the musical person in the family, had to help him read the music. I can still do that, thankfully.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
der_kluge said:
Do you use composition software, or just pencil and paper?
I actually have a version of Studio 3.1. Back then it was shareware for Windows 3.1. (a little better than... what's the current pricetag? $800? And still runs like a charm! And better usability than any other program I've tried out in the last six years)

I use a mix of that and pencil/paper, though. It depends on what I'm doing and what my mood is.

I sometimes record ideas via microphone as a wav file when I don't have time to write them down.

Jdvn1 said:
I actually have a version of Studio 3.1. Back then it was shareware for Windows 3.1. (a little better than... what's the current pricetag? $800? And still runs like a charm! And better usability than any other program I've tried out in the last six years)

I use a mix of that and pencil/paper, though. It depends on what I'm doing and what my mood is.

I sometimes record ideas via microphone as a wav file when I don't have time to write them down.
DUDE! we SO have to hook up sometime and crush brain cells. I haven't worked with a good composer in years and I have some strange ideas I'd like to bounce of your cranium.

Remove ads