Help me make a combat teleporter without psionics

I'm hoping to hop into a 14th level Forgotten Realms game, and I had a character idea I really wanted to try - Ranger 1/Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Psion (nomad) 2/Illithid Slayer 9. I'd end up with a base attack bonus of +13, a manifester level of 10, and lots of fun abilities.

I wanted to focus on mobility, with Speed of Thought, barbarian fast movement, and psionic teleportation powers (like Dimension Hop from Complete Psionic - a swift action that lets you teleport 10 ft. per 1 power point you spend). I'd be able to run all around the battlefield, jumping and charging and teleporting, which I figured would keep me happy because I know this DM really likes tactical combat on a battle mat.

Unfortunately, I find out that the DM doesn't use psionics because he's not familiar with the rules. This is a man who owns and has read all the Complete books (except psionic), has PHB II, Spell Compendium, every FR supplement, etc. *grin* I don't want to press because he's doing a favor to let me hop into a game that's so far along, so I need help creating a character with a similar concept using non-psionic stuff.

Like I said, he's got all the FR stuff and most every 3.5 book except the 'races of' and 'heroes of' series, and the Eberron books. I figure I could probably do something with some of the spells in Spell Compendium and PHB II, and maybe do a Ranger 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7 thing, but I'd be losing out on armored casting, 2 points of BAB, and all the fun abilities of Illithid Slayer. I'm not personally familiar with the 'Complete' books, so please help me out.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
Without Psionics, that is very hard to achieve..... Monk is one class option that springs to mind that is a highly mobile fighter (and you get Dimension Door 1/day at 12th level).

The only other possibilities that I am aware of are:

1. The Horizon Walker PrC from the DMG, which could get you Dimension Door every 1d4 rounds by 11th level (Shifting planar terrain mastery); or

2. The Shadowdancer PrC also from the DMG, which would get you the Shadow Jump ability by 11th level... (but much more restricted than the Horizon Walker ability); or

3. The Scout base-class from Complete Adventurer? is highly mobile and could make a good basis for the PrCs above.

There is bound to be a lot of other things available in the wide range of sources you have available.

There may even be something in Races of Stone - I have a vague recollection of a 5-level PrC that eventually grants the earth elemental-like Earth Glide ability (but I think that it has druids in mind as the easiest entry requirement?), BIDHMBIFOM.

Hmm. I do like the idea of, say, a ranger/barbarian/horizon walker being able to teleport. I was almost giddy when I considered Quicken Spell Like ability, until I realized I would have to be 16th level to be able to quicken my dimension doors. Is there some way to boost my 'caster level' for that ability? It's normally equal to your character level.

drdevoid

Explorer
Is there a metamagic feat that would let you get more use out of "Knight's Move" (SpC; Clr 3, Pal 2)?

If you could double the range it might be helpful for say, a travel cleric/ranger with practiced spell caster.

szilard

First Post
One option:

Monk 2/Sorcerer 1/Human Paragon 3/Enlightened Fist 8
-Take the Ascetic Mage Feat from Complete Adventurer
-Take the metamagic sorcerer variant from PHBII
- this gives you a caster level of 9, a BAB of 10ish, and d8 HD at all but one level.
- it also gives you an extra +2 to the ability score of your choice, a base move of 60 ft, an unarmored AC bonus of 2+Charisma bonus, and some neat abilities from Enlightened Fist.

Take a look at the Spell Compendium and PHBII for spells. There are all sorts of funky, low-level teleportation effects (place switching things and such). Some of them may be swift spells.

-Stuart

Iku Rex

Explorer
I'd be thinking monk/wizard(conjurer) with the Abrupt Jaunt ability from PHBII. Carmendine Monk (Champions of Valor) feat for Int-to-AC. Three levels of Swashbuckler would get you Int-to-damage with finesseable weapons, but the loss in spellcasting levels would hurt. Spell Compendium and the PHBII have several teleporter spells, as well as spells that improve movement. Balancing lorecall would be nice to have, if you can cast it before battle.

For something a little different, an arcane trickster/telflammar shadowlord (Unapproachable East) could work.

I want to teleport around the battlefield, short distances, preferably as a swift action so I can do fun movement tricks. If I were a hound archon, I'd use my powers for pizza delivery.

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
If your DM has all of the FR books, then take a look at the Shadow-walker template (LA +1) along with the Teflamar Shadowlord PrC from the Unapproachable East.

Remove ads