Help me make a combat teleporter without psionics

szilard said:
One option:

Monk 2/Sorcerer 1/Human Paragon 3/Enlightened Fist 8
-Take the Ascetic Mage Feat from Complete Adventurer
-Take the metamagic sorcerer variant from PHBII
- this gives you a caster level of 9, a BAB of 10ish, and d8 HD at all but one level.
- it also gives you an extra +2 to the ability score of your choice, a base move of 60 ft, an unarmored AC bonus of 2+Charisma bonus, and some neat abilities from Enlightened Fist.

Take a look at the Spell Compendium and PHBII for spells. There are all sorts of funky, low-level teleportation effects (place switching things and such). Some of them may be swift spells.

-Stuart

I don't think he has Races of Destiny, but I could probably wrangle it since one of the other players does. Where is Enlightened Fist, and what does it do? Why the metamagic sorcerer? I'll definitely look into it.

And, well, I personally don't want to play a lawful character, but I suppose I could be an ex-monk.

Shayuri

First Post
Does your GM allow Eberron spells?

There's a spell in Magic of Eberron, I think, that duplicates the short range teleport of a Least Dragonmark of Passage. It's only 1st or 2nd level, so it's easy to Quicken. :)

If you're using the Metamagic Sorceror variant from PHBII, you could even use a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quickening.

Legildur

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Hmm. I do like the idea of, say, a ranger/barbarian/horizon walker being able to teleport. I was almost giddy when I considered Quicken Spell Like ability, until I realized I would have to be 16th level to be able to quicken my dimension doors. Is there some way to boost my 'caster level' for that ability? It's normally equal to your character level.
Well, your caster level would be 14th (spell-like ability as the Dimension Door spell cast at your character level, DMG p190). Dimension Door is a 4th level Brd/Wiz/Sor/Travel spell, so minimum caster level would be 7th for a straight caster. Quicken Spell would up the spell level to 8th (+4 spell levels), which means you'd normally need to be 15th level to quicken DD. Oh, forget all that, I just found Quicken Spell-Like Ability and see why you are quoting a caster level of 16th as a requirement.

I wonder of Practised Spellcaster could be taken to increase your effective caster level for the Horizon Walker's DD spell-like ability?

Another option is the Sun School tactical feat from Complete Warrior (p112, prerequisites of Flurry of Blows ability and BAB +4). Two of the thee tactical maneuvres wouldn't be much use to your character, but the third (Flash of Sunset) allows you to make a single attack against a foe that you have just DDed (or Abundant Stepped) next to.

szilard

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I don't think he has Races of Destiny, but I could probably wrangle it since one of the other players does. Where is Enlightened Fist, and what does it do? Why the metamagic sorcerer? I'll definitely look into it.

And, well, I personally don't want to play a lawful character, but I suppose I could be an ex-monk.

Human Paragon is in Unearthed Arcana (and in the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon).

Enlightened Fist is in Complete Arcane. It gives advancement in most monk abilities (unarmed attacks, AC, movement), spellcasting for 8/10 levels, plus some other stuff (charging your unarmed attacks with arcane energy and things like that). It does not require you to be Lawful (which is surprising, actually).

The metamagic sorcerer because it allows you to use metamagic feats without using a full-round action. You can Quicken spells. This costs you your familiar - but, since you are only going to have one level of Sorcerer, a familiar would be a liability.

-Stuart

szilard

First Post
RangerWickett said:
I don't see why Human Paragon is key here. What does it offer that's so special.

(Thanks for the link, by the way! :) )

A few things:

1. Enlightened Fist requires CL 3. You could do this with Sorcerer or Wizard, but then your BAB and hp would suffer.
2. +2 ability score and extra feat. Both of these are key to someone who wants to be both a caster and a combatant. For this build you'll need decent physical abilities plus Charisma. Feat-wise you'll need Combat Casting and will probably want Practiced Spellcaster. Those are on top of any combat or metamagic feats you get.

-Stuart

Remove ads