Liberty (The heros of Mergovia)

DarkMaster

First Post
The young witch answers calmly at Solomon's request. "Jessica is slowly discovering her power, she is slowly understanding Enirdnas message.

She turns towards Xavier "She didn't had your chance, warrior. With a single movement of your hand all that knowledge could have been yours

refocusing on Solomon she continues"The only problem is that her teacher has lost his mind and his teaching her a perveted version of the teachings. Slowly she will, like her father loses her mind in her quest for ultimate power. After a certain time even the most powerfull magic can't bring back their sanity.

Answering Jasper "Greater good? I never said such a thing. I simply says that order must be maintained, great power must stay with those who can handle it, and I will do everything possible to ensure that, from making alliances with Archons to Demons, killing friends or foes if necessary.

Jasper can feel the determination in the witches eyes as she talks about her quest.

She gently bow "Now if you excuse me, there are a few things I would like to prepare before we reach the sea." She then leaves the deck and dissapears in her room.

-----

On the fifth day of travel late at night (around 11pm) Arthur knocks on Jasper and Xavier's cabin door which happens to be next to each other.

"Sirs, wake up, I would like to show you something, it looks like Domus is on fire, heavy smokes are risings from the city.

Manzanita

First Post
Solomon shakes his head. This is not the Jessica he knew. But it is clear now that Prumen was not the town he thought it was. It is still his duty, and desire, to pursue Jessica and speak with her again. He hoped to save her from whatever fate was in store for her. For whomever was involved in this demonic war was sure to lose. Even Solomon himself was likely to lose, even more than he already had lost. But there was no other path now.

Solomon spends much time gazing over the side of the boat as they travel. He is looking for signs of his companion, whom he knows is out there somewhere. He also watches the sailors, and makes some effort to learn the rudimentary skills of sailing.

doghead

thotd
Xavier Roce, male human servant of Heironious

Xavier smiles at Valaria.

"I like you Valaria. But if you honestly believed that I would simply take you at your word, then you have much to learn about the Servants of Heironeous."

* * *​

But despite Xavier's relaxed response, the paladin finds himself deeply conflicted. The goblin witch radiated evil, and everything he knows of her godess tells him that she too is evil. But yet, what he has heard from Valaria and the goblin witch is not that different from the teaching of his own god, Heironeous. With great power comes great responsibilty, and great temptation. Those who wield great power must be ever vigilant of themselves and their own, watchful for signs of hubris, for madness. There is always the danger that the teachings will be perverted, twisted to serve ends other than those that for which they were intended. Noble causes can be used to hide self-serving ends. And sometimes, violence is necessary.

There are differences. Hieoneous does not claim that only his followers are fit to wield power. And there are limits as to what lengths and means are acceptable. In the end, everything must be tempered by compassion. Otherwise order simply becomes repression. But is that what Valaria is fighting to protect?

The thoughts just go around and around in Xavier's head. During the trip down river he keeps himself busy working through strenuous training routines with his weapons or motionless, deep in prayer and meditation, attending to San Franedial or staring out over the countryside as it slides silently by.

* * *​

Xavier rolls out of bed, grabs a cloak and follows Arthur out onto the deck.

Kangaxx

First Post
Jasper Conrad

DarkMaster said:
Answering Jasper "Greater good? I never said such a thing. I simply says that order must be maintained, great power must stay with those who can handle it, and I will do everything possible to ensure that, from making alliances with Archons to Demons, killing friends or foes if necessary.

Jasper can feel the determination in the witches eyes as she talks about her quest.

She gently bow "Now if you excuse me, there are a few things I would like to prepare before we reach the sea." She then leaves the deck and dissapears in her room.

She is just like Uder. She wants the stones for inscrutable personal goals, and she will go to any length to achieve them. Why has Xavier allowed her into his fold? Over the next 5 days Jasper spends most of his time brooding or poring over his spellbook. He'll also cast Identify on the party's remaining magic items with unknown functions.
OOC: I don't remember who had what.

Before the trip is over he'll make a point of meeting up with Karn and Xavier to tell them about the events of the last few days; the group's dealings with Hl'lar and his orginization, the last trip under into the sewers, and Oculus' questionable departure in the company of Gror. And he'll try to find out what they have done in that time in more detail, and how much they trust Valeria.
On the fifth day of travel late at night (around 11pm) Arthur knocks on Jasper and Xavier's cabin door which happens to be next to each other.

"Sirs, wake up, I would like to show you something, it looks like Domus is on fire, heavy smokes are risings from the city.
Jasper jumps to his feet, pushing the image of his Uncle's burning house out of his mind. I'll be there in a moment! He hurriedly gets dressed and goes abovedecks to see for himself.

Ferrix

Explorer
Dai sits quietly on the deck, the rolling motion pleasing to him, however at the call of smoke he rises and looks off the side to observe what is unfolding on land.

DarkMaster

First Post
The night is still young, as we approach summer the days are getting longer and the sun went down about an hour and half ago.

As the boat sails slowly during the night, the activity on the deck is reduced to a minimum, especially while the boat is still inland. Dai is one of the first to notice the fire and smoke from the distance. As the boat gets closer, he notices that what seems to be a large city is burning. Large portions of the city seems to be heavily burning. The countryside around the boat seems quiet as it was for the entire trip.

Following Arthur the Paladin appears a few instant later on the deck. He notices the same thing that Dai observes.

Arthur looks at the fire silently, wondering what can be happening. A minute later Jasper appears on deck also seeing the large fires coming out of the city.

Arthur turns towards his two compagnion. "I don't know what you think but perhaps we should turn back and reach the sea by the south?"

Arthur doesn't wait longer and shouts to his men. "Close and extinguish all sources of ligth immediatly." He then turns towards the other two. "Judging by the magnitute and importance of the various fires I doubt this is our normal city fire, I rather stay unseen for as long as possible."

At this distance it's impossible for anyone to see if the city is under siege or any other kind of human activity around the city.

OOC I assume the others are sleeping for now and just tell me which object Jasper is identifying and I will tell you there powers.

Manzanita

First Post
Presumably Solomon will be awoken from the excitement.

"What do we know of this city? Do you think, Arthur, that something has attacked it and also threatens us?"

Solomon yearns to get back on solid ground.

"Perhaps I could get off the boat and investigate."

Ferrix

Explorer
Dai sits back against the side of the ship, he'd seen enough violence to his own people, villages and towns burned when those came in from the north to round them up. A prayer goes out to those in the cities.

DarkMaster

First Post
OOC Well I have to keep this thing running.

Arthur turns towards the newcommer, visibly nervous.

"Sir, Domus is the biggest Mergovian port. It's the gate of Mergovia to the ocean, an enormous proportion of Mergovia's trade goes through those gates.
When asked about the possible threath Arthur stays silent for a few second. "I can't answer that , but it doesn't look good. He scratches his head and repeat it a few times. The elf listen to Solomon's suggestion nodding in approval. "Good idea, we could stop the boat nearby our ligths still close while you investigates in front. One men will be harder to notice than my boat.

Trolm and Karn who arrived a few instant after Solomon have just time to hear the last part of their conversation.

"Solomon you might need help, I will come you"

Karn looks at the other two proudly, the old man then adds in a determined tone "You can count on me too, my friend"

Valeria is nowhere to be seen on the deck, it seems that all the commotion didn't wake her up.

Last edited:

Remove ads