Chance of unsubscribing

Nyaricus

First Post
nerfherder said:
Thanks for keeping things going. A sysadmin's job is rarely popular ;)
As proven in this thread :\

Nice work guys - I'm just glad I switched over to weekly notices about 3 weeks ago :uhoh:

Nyaricus

First Post
Actually, I only have 28 threads subscribed to now, down from my 130 + (all weekly emails)

Man, that sucks :(

Was that supposed to happen? I had more subscribed threads left after The Crash then I have now...

Nyaricus

First Post
On third thought, The Crash did leave 5 months of stuff done and dead, so at least I am about 5-months-less upset over losing so many of my subscriptions :p

But this should have been main page. Like Greylock, I subscribe to smaller threads with neat ideas; now a lot of those are gone :(

Actually, pretty much all of them :\

Have you played Metal Gear Solid 2? In that game, the villain's plot was to use a super-powerful system of computers to scan the internet and delete unhealthy material -- things that would hinder the intellectual evolution of mankind. There is already too much dross on the internet, and being a packrat about four year old posts is, in my opinion, unhealthy. Better to discuss new ideas.

If there are a few things in particular that you remember specifically, and that you want to find again, just ask someone with search. We'll dredge it up for you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nyaricus said:
But this should have been main page. Like Greylock, I subscribe to smaller threads with neat ideas; now a lot of those are gone :(

Notifications on the main page are nice in situations where they can wait to act. But if the boards are going to go down in short order if action is not taken, the notification would not have helped - there would not have been time for folks to see the notice.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but please remember that it isn't Twin Rose's fault. He didn't cause the root problem, and did his best to keep the majority of folks up with as much of the service they'd come to expect as possible.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Twin Rose said:
This wasn't a major change, this was an emergency situation to keep the boards from going -down-.

Two things

1) If a change is enough to affect a large number of poster's experience, then it is a major change. It may have been a necessary major change, but it was major.

2) There is more than one way to skin the emergency cat - I gave you one above - and in my experience it is preferable to use the method that provides the least amount of lasting change.

Let me reiterate - I know that this place is a labor of love. And I am truly appreciative of the work that is done by admins, mods, and support staff, because I like coming here: and I have for a very, very long time. So in that respect, thank you for making hard decisions in order to keep the board up and running. Please bear in mind that what I'm saying is not meant to slam the work you're doing, but is instead meant to serve as a reminder that the community here counts on you to uphold a certain standard of excellence we've come to expect out of Morrus' crew. That you do this at all is praiseworthy. As a concerned user, my aim is then to help you do it well.

I'm going to give you the same advice that I gave Michael Morris about a year and a half ago - my gripe isn't with your work, its with your rollout. ENWorld is in the RPG big leagues, and I think it would only make everyone's volunteer jobs a bit easier if you put a more rigorous change management system in place.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I didn't lose any subscriptions, to my knowledge. But I didn't know how many I had before (178 currently). I still have a bunch, so I just assume I didn't lose anything.

Then again, I only had one instant notification, and it's to a thread in TtT.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Twin Rose said:
This wasn't a major change, this was an emergency situation to keep the boards from going -down-.

Umbran said:
Notifications on the main page are nice in situations where they can wait to act. But if the boards are going to go down in short order if action is not taken, the notification would not have helped - there would not have been time for folks to see the notice.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but please remember that it isn't Twin Rose's fault. He didn't cause the root problem, and did his best to keep the majority of folks up with as much of the service they'd come to expect as possible.

Yup. Let's move forward and keep the greater good in perspective. If someone lost a subscription to an old thread that they absolutely have to renew, mention it's subject and some details in this thread and we'll all pitch in to try and relocate it. It's a bad break some of those were lost but the alternative is something nobody wants. Let's try to stay positive on this and remember what a great resource EN World is.

Knight Otu

First Post
Twin Rose said:
CFor example, there are 250 people subscribed to the General discussion forum for instant email notification. That means every time people are posting, and replying, in that forum 250 emails are getting sent out. As you can imagine, this is creating quite a backlog of mail! And I can't believe that anywhere NEAR 250 people are checking every one of those emails to see if it's something they want to reply to. (Well, maybe Crothian.... ;) )
I wasn't even aware that Instant Notification was available for forums! :eek: That's just silly, especially in a large community such as this.

For the record, I lost no subscriptions. I learned the folly of email subscriptions at that one time where ENWorld did not send out the subscription, only to send a whole bulk later. So I have simple subscriptions without notifications.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Also, I can see a need for a few scripts or additions to how subscritpions work. One being that email notification not be automatic, in that if someone subscribes it informs them in the UserCP but an extra box needs to be checked to make it an email notification as well (or is the the current default?). The second being that there be some limit on the number subscriptions, or at least the ones that will send email. The third though is my wondering if subscriptions are limited to community supporters or if anyone with an account can use this potentially site-crippling function.

Remove ads