Chance of unsubscribing

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Nyaricus said:
Like Greylock, I subscribe to smaller threads with neat ideas; now a lot of those are gone :(

Actually, pretty much all of them :\
I have the same sort of things, but they were set to no notification. I just use my Subscribed Threads page often enough to not need emails.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Nyaricus said:
On third thought, The Crash did leave 5 months of stuff done and dead, so at least I am about 5-months-less upset over losing so many of my subscriptions :p

But this should have been main page. Like Greylock, I subscribe to smaller threads with neat ideas; now a lot of those are gone :(

Actually, pretty much all of them :\

You could ask for a refund....

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Mark CMG said:
The third though is my wondering if subscriptions are limited to community supporters or if anyone with an account can use this potentially site-crippling function.
Anyone with an account can subscribe.

Wystan

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
The third though is my wondering if subscriptions are limited to community supporters or if anyone with an account can use this potentially site-crippling function.

Ah, the last bastion of being able to keep track of things on the site. I know that I personally use a daily digest to threads that interest me. I think that the default should be daily thread e-mails, not instant, as it is I need to change it each time as I think it would be ludicrous to get an e-mail to see someone said "Me Too"...

Ghostwind

First Post
It seems to me that the obvious solution is to disable instant notifications altogether. I believe this was done once before and it made the boards run much more smoothly. There really isn't a logical reason why daily notification can't be used as a default setting. If it is so important that the responses to the thread need to happen almost right away then the parties involved are probably sitting on EN World watching the thread anyhow.

Twin Rose

First Post
Ghostwind said:
It seems to me that the obvious solution is to disable instant notifications altogether. I believe this was done once before and it made the boards run much more smoothly. There really isn't a logical reason why daily notification can't be used as a default setting. If it is so important that the responses to the thread need to happen almost right away then the parties involved are probably sitting on EN World watching the thread anyhow.

Perhaps that was true in earlier versions of vBulletin. That was, in fact, my original plan. But no... It would only let me remove -ALL- emails or none, there was no picking and choosing.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Twin Rose said:
Perhaps that was true in earlier versions of vBulletin. That was, in fact, my original plan. But no... It would only let me remove -ALL- emails or none, there was no picking and choosing.

You might check with Spoony and see if he can dig up a script somewhere. He's got a knack for that.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Funny. Up to now I had never used the thread subscription option. Now I'm trying it out- but with no email notification.

Actually, I'm surprised that instant email is the default setting.

Twin Rose

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Funny. Up to now I had never used the thread subscription option. Now I'm trying it out- but with no email notification.

Actually, I'm surprised that instant email is the default setting.

Yeah, and there's no way to change that without hacking the code! Very poor design IMO.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Upon further review, I did lose some subscribed threads. I think it was only the threads which I had set to email notice. Guess that makes sense.

I'm all for improving speed and stability of the boards. Thanks for all the hard work.

Remove ads