The Rod of Seven Parts: Kauai Team OOC

Thank you for the reminder with regard to +1 BAB and move/draw. That is a mechanic that I'm constantly reminding my tabletop players they may use but I guess I'd forgotten it over the course of the last few months since we have had no table time. Ironic. But thanks. It's something that I can fix at the top of the next round (which will be Round 3) by giving those with a +1 BAB who gave chase (Voadam and Brakkus, I believe) an AoO before I start the initiative count down. Their AoO will be counted as damage applied to Encounter 2, Round 2. If it means the damage drops the spider then I will immediately follow up with textual description describing the spider's death before starting the init count for Round 3.

Thanks again.

Ambrus

Explorer
The creature will also loose its Dex bonus to AC while running, unless it has the Run feat however. Should make striking it a bit easier I'd imagine.

Anyone have Knowledge (local)?

I had a look at the RG but did not see local on anyone's sheet. If your RG sheet for this game doesn't have your PCs skills in alphabetical order, it is possible that I overlooked it. If you feel this may be the case, let me know.

SlagMortar

First Post
Thanks again.
No problem. Thanks for running the game :) I appreciate the realistic behavior of the enemies (fleeing when in danger, trying to get the wand rather than beating on the fleshy unarmored guys). Of course making the behavior realistic makes it harder to model with the rules so we're all bound to overlook some things now and again.

Anyone have Knowledge (local)?
Not Brakkus.

My husband returns home from sea on Tuesday. I won't be posting on Tuesday, but will be posting on Wednesday and Thursday while he squares things away at work after a long absence. From Friday onward for an approximately two week period, posting on my end will be sporadic (maybe every other day or something like M/W/F) while we enjoy being reunited as a family. After that, I'll be back for my regular M-F posting schedule.

And I will put up a post at some point today in the IC. Got a lot to get done around the house before tomorrow, though, so it might be later on. The four games I DM online get priority before any other of my online browsing, so please rest assured that you'll be high up on the list.

Ambrus and SlagMortar, I can benefit from a couple of folks who are intimately familiar with the RAW. Rather than waste time getting upset at having discrepancies pointed out, I'd much rather put your rules knowledge to good use. You two are thus hereby appointed the rules lawyers for this game. In a good way. :) I'm always looking for ways to shave time off my posting efforts (without sacrificing quality, though), so anything you spot about a situation, if you could please just go ahead and point it out here, I would be appreciative. If there is something in the rules that does not jive with the module or with my story, I certainly feel comfortable rule zeroing it, but it's always nice to make an informed decision. If you don't want to serve in this capacity, let me know.

ALL: please ping me at [address removed by CB, if you need it, please ask] so that I can hand out XP. I'll leave up that email address for a 24 hour period before I take it down tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
I'd be happy to try and help you out rule-wise as best I can, but rest assured that I'll likely miss some things nonetheless. ;)

After rereading the sequence of events for the last few rounds, for Maelicent at least, time has gotten rather muddled. Assuming Maelicent freed himself in the time between encounters then two rounds of combat have passed without him doing much of anything besides chatting with Voadam.

If, on the other hand, the second encounter started on the round following the end of the first encounter then Maelicent spent that first round freeing himself. On round two he could used his turn to then walk to the edge of the bar and shoot at the third spider before it made a break for the door. It seems however that all Mael did was walk over and chat with Voadam while he, Lewit and Brakkus beat the thing to death. Kind of a missed opportunity to act.

All in all it doesn't change much anything; I'm just pointing out that Maelicent hasn't really had a turn since this second encounter began.

I'm here quickly before starting my day and saw this. As far as I recall, Maelicent had to more than double move during round 2 to get to his position in the doorway. I think he ended up moving 120 feet total that round. The round before that, I forget what it was that occupied his time. I'd have to go look, or you can go look.

Ambrus

Explorer
Let's see, in post 68 I stated that Maelicent was going to move towards Traven and shoot. In post 78 you described the goblin's action as running across the room, ignoring his attack. It's a shame since it might very well have dispatched Traven before he ran out the door.

If Maelicent had instead taken a double-move towards the door as suggested in post 78, then on round two Maelicent could have simply taken a move action out the door and then fired at Traven; but that doesn't seem to have happened either. In essence Maelicent seems to have spent too much time moving around the place without stopping to shoot.

If you'd care to have had Maelicent doing something useful during that time I suppose it could be assumed he was searching the first two spiders' carcasses...

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
Pilgrim centers himself and, drawing upon the power granted him by the divine grace of Bahamut, scans the room for the presence of evil. Atune to the wishes of his patron, Pilgrim immediately senses the presence of evil.
Where? What who?

Ambrus

Explorer
Your detect evil power only detects the presence of evil within a 60-ft. cone (essentially a 90º sweep) in the direction you're facing in the first round of concentration. Pilgrim will have to spend the following round concentrating to determine the number of evil auras in the room and a third round to pinpoint their locations and relative strengths; and that only in a 90º arc.

Keep in mind also that your character may simply be detecting the first two wolf-spiders' lingering auras. Considering that they were likely evil outsiders, simply having passed through the kitchen would leave a lingering aura which may persist for several minutes after they vacated the area.

Remove ads