The Rod of Seven Parts: Kauai Team OOC

Ambrus

Explorer
Hm. After reading through it all a third time I think I see what you're getting at. Mael ended the first encounter on the ground with the dead spider on top of him. You say that two-out-of-combat rounds went by. Mael spent the first of those two rounds digging himself out and retrieving his bow. The second out-of-combat round, from what I can tell, is when Traven molted and ran out the door. Mael didn't seem to have a chance to take any action during that round. Effectively, he did nothing at all. You then rolled initiative and began the first round of a second encounter with the spider already outside and running. Considering that the PCs all beat him on initiative when you did roll it, I find that unfair. When I posted my actions in post 68 I believed that all the PCs were acting before Traven, before he had a chance to make it out the door. That, at least, is my error.

Now that we're on the third round of this second encounter, Mael has had four full rounds in which he's done little more than run a lap around the taproom. I'd just like my character to be doing something useful is all. Frankly I don't really care anymore. Forget it.

Ambrus said:
Hm. After reading through it all a third time I think I see what you're getting at. Mael ended the first encounter on the ground with the dead spider on top of him. You say that two-out-of-combat rounds went by. Mael spent the first of those two rounds digging himself out and retrieving his bow. The second out-of-combat round, from what I can tell, is when Traven molted and ran out the door. Mael didn't seem to have a chance to take any action during that round. Effectively, he did nothing at all. You then rolled initiative and began the first round of a second encounter with the spider already outside and running. Considering that the PCs all beat him on initiative when you did roll it, I find that unfair. When I posted my actions in post 68 I believed that all the PCs were acting before Traven, before he had a chance to make it out the door. That, at least, is my error.

Now that we're on the third round of this second encounter, Mael has had four full rounds in which he's done little more than run a lap around the taproom. I'd just like my character to be doing something useful is all. Frankly I don't really care anymore. Forget it.

The second "round" out of combat, I missed giving your character an action. You pointed that out, and since you suggested something reasonable, which was having Maelicent search the carcass, I gave you a search for that round. The results are posted here in the OOC, just a couple of posts up. Looking at things from your point of view, I can understand that you feel jipped about dropping from first to last (? not sure...would have to go look, but I know it wasn't first) on the initiative count. Still, from my end of things a new init was needed, so I rolled for everyone. It's just how it worked out, that Maelicent dropped down like that. After that, I still can't figure how you think you're missing actions but am willing to let it go, though with misgivings because I sense discontent from your end. We can call it a scratch for now, if you like, and try anew the next time combat rolls our way. I think what I will do for future combats is put a freakin' grid overlay with numbered squares up for the battlemat. That way the players can work out for themselves what square they want to end up in and simply tell me. Probably save me a lot of time, doing it like that. I won't have to count squares, you guys can do it. :confused:

If something is still bothering you enough that you feel it merits discussion, contact me via e-mail and we'll work it out in private. I replied to your initial e-mail to me when I requested everyone send a ping, so you should have my e-mail address on file. Let me know if you don't. I'll be happy to re-supply it.

I've put up a continuation for Round 3 in the IC. I've also taken us all off initiative.

Argent, I posted the complete results of Pilgrim's detect evil in the IC. Pilgrim still has quite a long time left of the spell's duration. Not wanting to usurp your own PC's actions, I wrote Pilgrim still in the kitchen, still detecting evil. He senses that nothing blocks his ability to detect within the spell's range (ie: there's no funny monkey business going on, no one has put up a barrier, there's no lead in the room, the wood, metal, and stone in the room are all thinner than what might block the spell). You're free to drop the spell or continue on with it, moving elsewhere as you see fit.

ALL: I requested and have received e-mail contact from Ambrus, SlagMortar, and Argent, but have yet to hear from Rino or BRP2. Strahd, I of course have your address already on file because of our other game. I would like to hand out XP, so Rino and BRP2, please ping me at [email address removed by CB--contact me here in the OOC if you need it]. Thanks.

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Pilgrim is going to keep detecting until he's sure that nothing else is in the area. Was I correct that he was sensing something outside the kitchen b ut not in the Inn?

Yes, there is something that Pilgrim detected outside the kitchen, not in the inn. Can't say too much more on the subject without tipping my hand, so I'll simply wait for Pilgrim to declare where he goes and will supply description as necessary.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
Yes, there is something that Pilgrim detected outside the kitchen, not in the inn. Can't say too much more on the subject without tipping my hand, so I'll simply wait for Pilgrim to declare where he goes and will supply description as necessary.
Already declared. He's stepping outside and remember his light sensitivity if the sun is bright enough.

Voadam

Legend
CanadienneBacon said:
ALL: please ping me at [address removed by CB, if you need it, please ask] so that I can hand out XP. I'll leave up that email address for a 24 hour period before I take it down tomorrow.

I think I need this again if you don't still have mine from the spider queen game.

Posting xp here openly or in sblocks works for me just as well.

After I tanked the CotSQ game, I deleted those players' e-mail addresses. You just never know who's going to decide to hack hotmail, or when. I didn't feel good keeping someone else's personal info on my account. It seemed the ethical thing to do.

BRP2 and Rino are the last to check in via e-mail. I may resort to an OOC comment in the IC to get their attention regarding the ping.

Last edited:

Rino

First Post
Ambrus said:
"Good to know this don't happen too often." Still dripping ichor and gore, Maelicent abandons the garden and starts to follow the misshapen dwarf back into the festhall. "Wand. Right." What's a wand? "So Lewit has the wand? And who's this Lewit guy?" I kinda wish more spider-things would show up. Killin giant bugs was easier than getting some straight talkin out o this bunch...

last sentence was not spoken out loud?

Ambrus said:
"Yeah. There are tracks; the two spider-things' who started in the garden, there's the lot that you giant-kin and the lizard-kin made trompin around back there just now, the dead runt's, a few others sets that cross from the door to the stables and garden from this mornin and the last set from the giant-kin that came and left along the south path. Can't say if they was from a male or a female, human or elf or when they left for sure. They was made sometime in the past few hours..."

With the good roll that I rolled for you, Maelicent would know that the tracks were of equal freshness as the spider tracks in the garden. In essence, all three sets look like they were made at the same time.

Remove ads