• Star Trek: New Voyages (2004)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate Trek, so I refuse to answer!

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Poll closed .

Ranger REG

Explorer
drothgery said:
Hmm. DS9 has nearly 50% of the vote, and nearly twice as many votes as its nearest competitor (TNG). I guess ENWorlders have good taste :)
No. It's only shows that I'm an oldtimer spending free internet times with a bunch of young'uns. ;)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
On the whole, the original series with the animated one a close runner up. I'll leaven that with saying I've never seen Deep Space Nine or Enterprise. I stopped with TNG about... third season or a little way into fourth, catching maybe a total of four episodes after that. Voyager I stopped on about the second or third episode, and watched one other one under extreme duress.

Someday I should take a look at DS9 and Enterprise.

Aaron L

Hero
Voyager had great actors and interesting characters. It's too bad it had absolutely bloody horrible stories, zero consistency or continuity, and lame writing.

Also, this isn't applied to any series in particular, but when will they stop writing Vulcans as if they don't have emotions, but choose to repress their emotions? I even seem to recall reading about an episode of Enterprise that said that Vulcans actually had a gland that suppressed their emotions! Talk about lame writing and mutilation of the species! I don't really know if what I read about that episode is actually true, however.

If it is, though, it's right up there with that episode of Voyager where Captain Jayneway and Paris use transwarp tp go past warp 10 and end up devolve/hyperevolving into alien salamanders, and have babies together... that they just leave on some unknown planet to
pollute the Gamma Quadrant with amphibio-human mutant fish monsters.

Not to mention they just ABANDON THEIR OFFSPRING and ignore it for the rest of the series. But then again, almost every episode of Voyager was like a completely separate universe with none affecting any others, anyway. And that was the absolute worst episode of a hideous show.

My bug question is: when will they show the awful repercussions of an entire species continually repressing their emotions? I can't even begin to imagine the horrible, twisted problems that would result from this practice. It isn't like every adult Vulcan undergoes kholinar, is it? (and does kohlinar actually eliminate their emotions? They'd have to use some very strong drugs to actually do something like that. Or maybe it's a psionic discipline, since they are Vulcans after all.)

The only thing that came close to showing side effects of perpetual emotional repression was when Sarek developed Bandai Syndrome in TNG, which I happen to think was far less likely a disease then a natural result of complete emotional repression for an entire lifetime. Minds would shatter and twist into something horrible under those conditions. Especially with the extreme emotions that Vulcans are supposed to have, which had led to perpetual chaos until they learned to control them.

It was always my understanding that Vulcans actually didn't fully suppress their emotions, because that wasn't really possible. They just had them tightly controlled. Spock was portrayed as trying to repressing them completely because he was overcompensating because he was half human and didn't want to show any weakness, and he was trying to be "more Vulcan than Vulcan." But when he became more mature and confident in himself he let them show more, and became the full and well rounded person he was in The Wrath of Khan and onward.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it was.

Spock will always be the most interesting character in all of Star Trek to me.

But they seem to be getting more and more sloppy with the writing, and people who don't have more than a cursory understanding of the show are writing things like "Vulcans have a gland in their brain that suppresses their emotions" is the result.

Sorry, just a pet peeve about Trek that I have.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Spock will always be the most interesting character in all of Star Trek to me.
Yeah, and NBC wanted Roddenberry to remove that character because he looks "devilish."

:p

Spock is interesting, but Leonard Nimoy is much more interesting when he did a recording of "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins." :lol:

delericho

Legend
What's "New Voyages"? (Edit: Nevermind, I Googled it. I have never watched any of them.)

I voted for DS9. However, TNG has my all time favourite episodes ("Best of Both Worlds" and "Yesterday's Enterprise"), while TOS has most of the best movies (and also the worst). I never saw the Animated Series, hated Voyager, and found Enterprise an only marginal improvement.

buzzard

First Post
I'm a mild TNG partisan. It had some truly brilliant episodes. Of course it also has some pretty crappy ones as well. However, most of the characters I liked at least. DS 9 certainly had its moments, but I disliked too many of the characters to really enjoy the show. I also never cared much for TOS. Voyager was a fit of eyeball rending pain. Enterprise was OK at best, but went downhill rapidly when they tried to shake it up to increase ratings.

buzzard

Uriah Heep

First Post
Favorite ST show

TOS is my favorite. Followed by the final four seasons of DS9. But, does anyone else see the similarities between the final four seasons of DS9, and the whole five year story arc of Babylon 5? DS9 had the Dominion war, B5 had the shadow war. Anyway, there is a very interesting story there.

Uriah Heep

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Ranger REG said:
It's kinda hard to choose one that is the best.

Well, not really. It's TOS. Followed closely by DS9.
Yeah, the acting, sets, and makeup were all better in DS9, but without the original series none of the others would exist. (Possibly a good thing in regards to Enterprise.... :p )

The Auld Grump

Remove ads