Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

who defends catwoman?
Proving my point - Prometheus and TDKR don't get defended because they're less loudly and continually stupid than Catwoman, they get defended because they're by famous directors, and are well-shot, and thus some people cannot accept/process how profoundly bad they are. Also to be fair the number of people defending each decreases every year - give it twenty years and they'll basically be treated like Catwoman.

Ryujin

Legend
Proving my point - Prometheus and TDKR don't get defended because they're less loudly and continually stupid than Catwoman, they get defended because they're by famous directors, and are well-shot, and thus some people cannot accept/process how profoundly bad they are. Also to be fair the number of people defending each decreases every year - give it twenty years and they'll basically be treated like Catwoman.
I'm not going to defend "Prometheus" because it includes several of my nitpicks. The big one being how two people run 500 metres in front of a crashing, rolling starship and then one of them saves herself by rolling 3 metres to the right. The original script got leaked on the 'net and there are some changes that Cameron made, that are just bizarre. they removed context for people's actions.

Cameron? I think you mean Ridley Scott?
Unfortunately not!

Cameron, rather inexplicably, was involved in some of the early decision-making on Prometheus with Scott. It's very confusing as to why, given Ridley Scott has on I believe more than one occasion directly sneered at Aliens, and even seemingly attempted to disavow Aliens from being an "Alien" series movie at one point before Prometheus came out (though it was a rather confused comment).

Also note "the original script" - Cameron stopped being involved much after that. The script was then re-written multiple times at the behest of Ridley Scott, who didn't like any of them, until finally he got Damon Lindelof to re-write it, and he finally accepted that one as matching his actual vision. On the topic of nitpicking it's very common for people to blame Lindelof for the script (esp. given he's been involved with a lot of dubious movies), but the reality is, the more we find out about the other scripts, the more we see that he was just writing what Scott wanted him to write. So I think it's unfair to blame him - despite me having spent several years doing so!

Scott note, is an "Ancient Aliens" true believer/truther (albeit of the "obviously humans didn't just evolve" know-it-all Boomer kind rather than the axe-grinding conspiracy theorist kind), and doesn't like scientists, which I think explains an awful lot about Prometheus.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I like Prometheus.
Me too. I like its aspirations and how it pushed back the boundaries of the setting in interesting ways. There are some dumb things that people justifiably hate, but a lot of the hate towards it is based on stuff people are reading into the movie and then getting mad about, rather than things that are actually on the screen.

I find Covenant to be much more disappointing, as it feels like Scott spitefully yelling at the audience "FINE, YOU WANT XENOS?! I'LL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU COULD EVER WANT ABOUT THEM AND I'M TAKING THE ENGINEERS HOME WITH ME!" He basically craps on his own legacy and the new directions he was trying to explore in Prometheus just because an acclaimed multi-millionaire director got pushback from fans.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I really, really, WANTED to like Prometheus. I wanted to love it, more accurately. Alien and Aliens are two of my favorite movies of all time. I think Alien 3 is underrated and has a lot of good in it. I've defended Resurrection (except the ending) countless times.

And I liked a few things about Prometheus (like the visuals, and some of the cast, especially Fassbender, Rapace, and Elba), but so much about it was SO dumb.

Remove ads