D&D changes every 5 levels by design...

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

Disagree. D&D of any stripe should do what the DM wants it to do. If the game is gritty all the way up to 9th level, then that's the DM's prerogative.

It's all in how you run your campaign.

buzz

Adventurer
Deekin said:
I break it up this way.

1-5 = save the town
6-10 = save the city
11-15 = save the country
16-20 = save the world.
This is the best campaign-building advice I have ever read.

It'd be really nice if comments like these and Mr. Danceys were in the DMG. WotC, please take note. :cool:

Schmoe

Adventurer
diaglo said:
i'll just agree to disagree with your statement.

Well, we are talking about D&D 3.x, and not OD&D. :)

Think of RPGs as food. D&D 3.x offers nearly every flavor of ice cream available. But if you like cake, you should look elsewhere.

Korgoth

First Post
Obergnom said:
hmm, what just occured to me is, for me and most folk I game with, it would be brilliant to have a d20 variant system that slows advancement in power without slowing level gain. A system where your 20th level character has got the power of a 10th level regular D&D character.

I would love that. Advancement of character is an importand thing for most players, thus just cutting the xp in half would not do the job. And the DM would still be able to use regual D&D Monsters, just double the CR to get an approriate Encounter.

Have you played previous editions? For example, in Menzter (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master with the Elmore covers) advancement goes all the way to 36th level... but like all pre-3E D&D, you stop gaining Hit Dice at 9th level.

I think that one thing which 3E does that totally changes the way the level progression works in the game is giving Hit Dice past 9th level. So that high level characters walk around with enormous sums of hit points. That makes it a lot different from the previous rules sets.

buzz

Adventurer
Korgoth said:
So that high level characters walk around with enormous sums of hit points. That makes it a lot different from the previous rules sets.
High level opponents dish out enormous sums of damage, too... so it kind of balances out.

Obergnom

First Post
Korgoth said:
Have you played previous editions? For example, in Menzter (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master with the Elmore covers) advancement goes all the way to 36th level... but like all pre-3E D&D, you stop gaining Hit Dice at 9th level.

I think that one thing which 3E does that totally changes the way the level progression works in the game is giving Hit Dice past 9th level. So that high level characters walk around with enormous sums of hit points. That makes it a lot different from the previous rules sets.

Yep, I played AD&D 2nd for many many years, but the rest of my group did not, and some of them refuse to even try a Castles&Crusades campaign. A game which IMO changes what was bad about 2nd Ed. without beeing a totally differnt game, which is how I see 3E. (Not that I do not like 3E, it is just not D&D to me.)

Korgoth

First Post
Obergnom said:
Yep, I played AD&D 2nd for many many years, but the rest of my group did not, and some of them refuse to even try a Castles&Crusades campaign. A game which IMO changes what was bad about 2nd Ed. without beeing a totally differnt game, which is how I see 3E. (Not that I do not like 3E, it is just not D&D to me.)

That's too bad. C&C seems pretty darn cool to me.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
MerricB said:
Original Thread http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=310363

Ryan Dancey
"D&D 3/3.5, by design, changes roughly every 5 levels.

I think it is more proper to say that D&D changes each and every level by design, changes significantly at many odd levels, and changes radically at ninth level and seventeenth level. The "every five levels" observation doesn't really hold up well when you crunch the numbers and look more closely.

Goblyn

Explorer
After reading this thread, I'm curious as to the implied big change caused by the THIRD ITERATIVE ATTACK. All the posts make sense to me except this one.

Thanks.

Remove ads