Epic problem OOC

Ivellious

First Post
Finally Finished, though I would like someone to check over the Dragon just to make sure I didn't make too many mistakes, because I'm sure I made some (First time making a dragon PC) Other than that, I'm going to post him up in the rg

Nephtys

First Post
A (broken?) epic spell:

Natural Armour +40
Seed: Armour
Casting Time: 1min
Duration: 24H
target: Touch
DC: 16 (14+36x2-60)
Cost: 144000gp, 5760xp

Mitigating Factors:
Backlash 60d6= -60DC

---
Comment: Who cares about backlash when you can cast Heal? ;) It could have been even worse if I had used Leadership to get a thousand followers to contribute a slot, but it's pretty bad already.
Be that as it may, this kind of spell is really all the epic spell rules are good for, so if you disallow broken buffs then what remains?

Avalon®

First Post
Problem is that the backlas is 60d6 per round. This equates to 600d6 per minute. Can you survive that?

Jemal: The restriction for magic items being limited to Core and ELH applies only to magic items right? How about spellbook construction or normal items from other books such as sundark goggles from races of the dragon?

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Nephtys - Bad news... Backlash happens EVERY ROUND of the duration of a spell... that's 60d6 PER ROUND on your turn.. Heal doesn't quite Cover it... average 210 damage/round for 24 hours.

Void - I'll figure out the Epic Contemplative soon.

Nephtys

First Post
:lol: Guess I should read up on the rules a bit more before I try to be a wise-arse. Still, there is a problem with Leadership and Additional Participants in Rituals.

How about this one (an adaptation of an official spell):

Rain Of Fire
Evocation [Fire]
Spellcraft DC: 50 => 36
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 4-mile-radius emanation
Duration: 20 hours
Saving Throw: Reflex negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 324,000 gp; 7 days; 12,960 XP. Seeds: energy (fire) (DC 19), energy (weather) (DC 19). Factor: change rain to wisps of flame (ad hoc +12 DC). Increase area by 100% +4
Mitigating: +9min casting time (-18 DC).

This spell summons a swirling thunderstorm that rains fire rather than raindrops down on the character and everything within a two-mile radius of him or her. Everything caught unprotected or unsheltered in the flaming deluge takes 1 point of fire damage each round. A successful Reflex save results in no damage, but the save must be repeated each round. Unless the ground is exceedingly damp, all vegetation is eventually blackened and destroyed, leaving behind a barren wasteland similar to the aftermath of a grass or forest fire. The fiery storm is stationary and persists even if the caster leaves.

--

Pretty nasty. If the area was increased even more (and that's not very expensive) you could destroy entire countries with this kind of spell.

Last edited:

Voidrazor

First Post
I don't see how Rain of Fire is broken. I certainly wouldn't want to spend 324k in development costs just to get it, not to mention blowing almost all of the extra xp allotment.

Jemal

Adventurer
Psssht... nothing.

Book of Vile Darkness..
Apocalypse from the sky. Corrupt level 9 spell (Corrupt spells can be cast by any caster capable of preparing spells)
Corrupt Spell deals 3d6 con damage, 4d6 wisdom drain for casting, 1d3 of each/day it's prepared.
Casting time: 1 day
Duration: Instantaneous
range: Personal
Area: 10 mile radius/level.
Save: None
SR: Yes
All creatures and objects in the spell's area(Caster included) take 10d6 points of fire, acid, or sonic (caster's choice). This damage typically levels forests, sends mountains tumbling, and wipes out entire populations of living creatures.
Material component: an artifact (usually one of good perverted to this corrupt use).

Cast Greater Restoration afterwards to get rid of the ability damage/drain, use the epic feat Ignore Material Component so you don't need to use an ARTIFACT each time you cast it.

Shayuri

First Post
Ivellious said:
Finally Finished, though I would like someone to check over the Dragon just to make sure I didn't make too many mistakes, because I'm sure I made some (First time making a dragon PC) Other than that, I'm going to post him up in the rg

Some mistakes or things you might wanna address I noticed on my first pass:

1) Your shield has no enhancement bonus, but has the Arrow Deflection ability. That's a no-no by the rules. :)

2) Dragon's strength stat is wonky. You spent 5 point buy points for base score 13. You then add racial bonus of 9 for 22. Then you add 5 inherent, for...25? No. 27. :) Adjust to hit and damages accordingly.

3) The dragon's secondary attack bonuses (all attacks except Bite) should be 2 less than the primary attack bonus. Normally it would be 5 less, but you have the Multiattack feat.

4) Epic Reputation? For your cohort? Are you SURE about that?

5) Same idea: Magic Missile? -why-? We suggest Shield, instead. That'll stack with Mage Armor and give your mount a total bonus of +8 to AC when it has time to buff.

G

Guest 11456

I'm still here. Working on my character.

Jemal said:
Your cohort is max TWO levels below you, not 1.

The following come from the SRD:

From the Leadership feat:
Cohort Level: The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself.

Which means level -2.

From the Epic Leadership feat:
Cohort Level: The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of the character’s Leadership score, he or she can’t recruit a cohort of his or her level or higher.

Which seems to imply level -1.

Thoughts?

Remove ads