Ashin's Commission: Buried Alive

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Okey dokey. What's his favoured enemy? It isn't listed. Also, you can give him 1 more of an Armour bonus to AC from the chain shirt)

*When Michael awakens and feels his surge, Zaeryl is already awake.*

"I see. Then we are ready to go, yes? It is amazing that we managed to survive sleeping here in the bosom of evil's grasp. We can only hope this means that she was crushed to death by the cave-in, then. So, back to the path with the Afflicted, then?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Zaeryl nods.*

"Agreed, we will not be that lucky. Still, it would have been nice."

*The pair head back to the intersection where they heard the Afflicted before, and they still hear the sound of Afflicted ahead. They move forward as quietly as they can, which, oddly, seems surprisingly quieter than usual--perhaps it is the absence of Michael's usual heavy armour that does it. Whatever the case, they are apparently not heard before their tunnel opens up and overlooks a huge cavern complex, where makeshift filthy homes and barred cells have been set up. In the cavern and the filthy holes, large numbers of feral naked Afflicted are living--fighting, sleeping, copulating, devouring raw meat. There are a small number of the larger, meaner Afflicted that Michael and Zaeryl had seen only once before, in that final rush before they brought the cavern down. In the areas with cells, each cell has a small pedestal, plinth, or other setup with a pure black crystal. The cells seem to contain...people...but...they are in various states of the Affliction. In one cell, a huddled woman shivers with fear and foreboding about her fate, seeming fairly normal, in another a man and a woman look fairly normal--at least no claws or slavering cannibal glint in their eyes, but they have torn off their clothes and made themselves at home in their cell, copulating with no regard or aversion to the presence of the Afflicted. In a third, a young mother screams in abject horror as her sweet little children, fully in the throes of the Affliction, pin her to the ground and begin to gnaw off her fingers with their sharp teeth, feeding a sadistic animalistic hunger.*

*Zaeryl motions Michael back to a safer location to talk.*

ajanders

Explorer
Michael's eyes sweep the cavern as he thinks.
Lots of them...more than fifty? More than 100? More than 1000? (Please, Sela, no...)
They're in camp...not preparing for a giant raid on the surface or a migration.
They're...well, he has to start working that out...he doesn't know where he is.
Unit divisions? Three, it looks like. Big mean afflicted, smaller afflicted, people about to become afflicted.
Michael has no idea what time it is, since he can't see the sun, but he'll have to backtrack once he does.
Unusual equipment? The black crystals. Michael scratches his chin and wonders what a shatter spell would do to them.
Maybe I should have taken two of those...

He eases back towards Zaeryl and says dryly "What does it look like is happening down there to you?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"We are not certain we want to know," Zaeryl admits, "It appears to be the warren of the Afflicted. However, our eyes swept past the Afflicted and their captives to look for an exit, and we did notice another on the far side of the cavern that seems to lead up and around...perhaps out of this place."

ajanders

Explorer
Michael shrugs.
"We could say, therefore, that this is not a plot of the Fallonese to oppress the people of Duvik?"

He scratches his beard.
"Didn't see sentries. Didn't see an alarm. We could try sneaking, but I think that'd require lots of luck."

OOC: What were the afflicted using for lights?

Michael stretches his neck up and smells for fresh air and hopes to feel air on his cheek: it'd be nice to have some ideas of where the exit is.

"We could try sneaking through: both of us look pretty scruffy. If they have a night-cycle, maybe when they sleep we can get through.
Michael also considers the cavern floor: does it have stalagmites or gullies they could use for cover?

Rystil Arden

First Post
"No, they seemed more into the whole ghoul thing," Zaeryl agrees.

*The crystals, though dark, glow with an eerie black light. Other than that, the cavern seems to be very poorly lit. The Afflicted probably have either Darkvision of Low-Light Vision. There are indeed stalagmites and small gully-like areas in the cavern floor.*

"We can also use a Construct as a decoy, possibly. Is there any of your goddess's magic that aids in stealth?"

ajanders

Explorer
"Umm, no." Michael admits.
"But she did provide me with a certain mother wit."

He rummages around in his backpack and pulls out his bedroll. When he left Orrussus on Ashin's commission, it was a chocolate brown color. Since then it's been slept in, on, under, used a raincoat, a towel, a stretcher, and a shelter, so it's greatly dirt-darkened.
Also, it smells vaguely like an outygh -- but not nearly vaguely enough.

Michael throws it over his head and squats. The bedroll drapes around his ankles and he hopes he resembles a soft smelly rock. There's probably enough bedroll to mostly cover Zaeryl, too.

Michael wiggles his finger at a bare spot until it makes a small hole.

"I don't even think I can help with a distraction today. I could make a light and throw it, but I'm not sure that would do much. I can sling a stone at something noisy, I suppose. Maybe even a glowing stone."
Michael prefers the other plan, and when a plan gets more dicey than hiding under a blanket and crawling slowly through a monster-infested cavern, it's a pretty bad plan.

Remove ads