[CC3] Emulating 18th and 19th Century City Street Maps

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Jraynack said:
Good solid maps! I would suggest converting the entire maps to sepia tone to further give it that old feel.

I applied the RPG Matrix Process effect in CC3 to the whole drawing using the sepia preset:

sepia.jpg

It washes out some color but I like the aged appearance it gives. Of course, if the game the map is for is set in the same time period as the map is supposed to be from, I can always turn off the sepia effect in the drawing.

Next up: I think I'm going to try creating a section of Greenwood's Map of London next by tracing over it in CC3 and playing around some more.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Jraynack said:
Good solid maps! I would suggest converting the entire maps to sepia tone to further give it that old feel.

I'd thought about it, but didn't... primarily to save on printer ink. Plain black & white is just easiest for printers, and you can aways age the paper after the fact with some strong coffee and a cool oven.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
So today I imported the original Abbey Green image above into CC3 and traced the buildings. I then applied all the effects mentioned previously. The font this time is Baskerville Old Face.

abbeygreen2.jpg

I'm not completely happy with the results (it's hard to draw the buildings free hand and get crisp lines without using a grid to snap to, but in the interest of time I did that. Next time I think I'll try it with grid snaps on and then turn off the grid snaps and move the building to the proper place.

(Edit: I tightened up a few things and posted a new image file.)

Last edited:

RPMiller

First Post
jaerdaph, I like what you have done with that particular style. I'm not sure about the inclusion of the cathedral vector graphic, but that is being nitpicky. I think if you put a polygon tightly around it it would work better. You can see an example in the first map you posted above the title Kingiton St. and to the right of Church Yard.

The other maps in this thread are quite nice as well! I would like to invite anyone, who is interested, to come join Cartographer's Guild. We are a growing community specializing in Cartography and have some industry professionals available for critiques and asking How To type questions. You'll find several different software applications are covered, and best of all IT'S FREE! Just follow the link in my sig. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
RPMiller said:
jaerdaph, I like what you have done with that particular style. I'm not sure about the inclusion of the cathedral vector graphic, but that is being nitpicky. I think if you put a polygon tightly around it it would work better. You can see an example in the first map you posted above the title Kingiton St. and to the right of Church Yard.

Hi Ralph and thanks. :) Yeah, I'm not sure why I went the symbol route with the cathedral. It would make more sense to trace it out like the rest of the items on the map.

RPMiller said:
The other maps in this thread are quite nice as well! I would like to invite anyone, who is interested, to come join Cartographer's Guild. We are a growing community specializing in Cartography and have some industry professionals available for critiques and asking How To type questions. You'll find several different software applications are covered, and best of all IT'S FREE! Just follow the link in my sig. :)

I'm not sure the link is working in your sig - here's the URL: http://www.cartographersguild.com

I'm off to sign up now! - not sure why I hadn't yet. :)

Pbartender

First Post
jaerdaph said:
And THIRDED! I would love to learn to make image files in other programs I can use as backgrounds in CC3.

Alright, here we go. Be aware that specific menus and options may vary from version to version of Photoshop, but the basics generally remain the same.

PART 1: The Shoreline.

1. First, we'll establish any shore lines. Since my campaign world is based on real world Europe and North Africa, I simply went to maps.google.com and found the actual river that my city would have been located on had it truly existed in the real world (the mouth of the Rio Guadalquivir in Spain just north of Cadiz).
  2. Once you find a coastline or river you like, hit alt-[Print Screen] to get a screen shot of the browser window.
  3. Open a new image in Photoshop with a white background, paste in your screen capture image, and crop it to your liking.
  4. Convert your "borrowed" map to greyscale. Then, adjust the contrast of that layer Until all the water is black and the land is white, and adjust the brightness, until the coastlines look right.
  5. Now, you'll have some left over bits -- labels and roads and such -- to clean up. Just set the background color first to black and use cut box and eraser to clean up the water, then set the background color to white and do the same for the land. You should now have one layer with a basic outline with black water and white land, and another white background layer.
  6. Use the magic wand to select the black area, and delete it.
  7. Use the stroke function to outline the shoreline with a heavy black line (~4 or 5 pixels, location: outside, 100% opacity, Mode: Dissolve).
  8. Stroke the shoreline layer again with a thin white line (1 pixel, location: outside, 100% opacity, Mode: Dissolve), and then again with a thin black line (pixel, location: outside, 90% opacity, Mode: Dissolve). Continue alternating 1 pixel wide white and black strokes... all the white stripes should be at 100% opacity, but the opacity of each consecutive black line should decrease by 5% or 10% (Until you reach 0%). Using the Dissolve mode with the decreasing the opacity creates the dashed shading along the shorelines.

Last edited:

Remove ads