Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uxroth Kath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Post Your Own Suggestion

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Poll closed .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
When I first drew the original hand-drawn maps of the Lands of Harqual oh so many years ago, a lot of the names were either placeholder or just sounded bad as the years have passed. I've renamed a lot, but a few things remain at they were.

One the names added to the map later on is one I just can't let sit any longer is the City-State of Caloric. I'm not sure where I got the idea for the name but it dawn on me until later than caloric means this:

ca·lor·ic
/kəˈlôrik,kəˈlärik/
Learn to pronounce
adjective | NORTH AMERICAN
relating to heat; calorific.
"a caloric value of 7 calories per gram"

noun

(in the late 18th and early 19th centuries) a hypothetical fluid substance that was thought to be responsible for the phenomena of heat.
It has always bugged me, but I've never come up with anything that I like better, so I've decided to put out some ideas to you all and see if can get some good suggestions for a new name for the city-state.

I'd like to come up with something that sounds similar but is unique enough that I don't keep thinking of it as "Caloric" in my head. I might have to go with something completely different. I generated some name ideas using the Fantasy Name Generators web site, which I've included in the poll.

Around Cirrus.jpg

City of Spires.gif

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Calastein, Kharstone, Kallistan sound similar to the original with 'stone' as part of the name. Iike Terrok too, but it sound like 'the rock'

Port Calos, Skyport, Port Cirrus include the idea it is a spelljamming port

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Calastein, Kharstone, Kallistan sound similar to the original with 'stone' as part of the name. Iike Terrok too, but it sound like 'the rock'
Hmm, I like your suggestion of Kharstone. The other two might might not fit the 'feel' of a region where the city-state sits.

Maybe Calastar or Kellista?

I am also planning to create at least one unique ethnic group that helped settle the city-state when it was first founded by spelljammers. I haven't finalized the age of the city-state.

Hmm, Calastarans or Kellistani? I don't know.

Kharites. That could work better.

Neurotic said:
Port Calos, Skyport, Port Cirrus include the idea it is a spelljamming port
I'm not sure about using 'port' in the name of the city-state. Skyport is probably too generic for me, but I kind of like Port Cirrus.

Cirrians? I do like that. :D

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Cirrus is actully rather good. It has real world meanings, but those pertain to latin etymologically, and something tendril like. And towers going up to the sky are rather tendril like.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Hmm, I like your suggestion of Kharstone. The other two might might not fit the 'feel' of a region where the city-state sits.
Kharites. That could work better.
Kharstone = Kharsites?
Cirrus = Cyrans (Eberron specific, I know, ignore)
Cirrus = Cirran singular / Cirrani plural

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Cirrus is actully rather good. It has real world meanings, but those pertain to latin etymologically, and something tendril like. And towers going up to the sky are rather tendril like.
I do like it. So far, it is the frontrunner.

Qadal is interesting too.

@Neurotic's suggetion, Kharstone, is an interesting option. If I don't use it for the city-state, I might use it for another city on Kanpur.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I remember you had some places use names in finnish, but this is not there? If it is, I can come up with finnish names if you want.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I remember you had some places use names in finnish, but this is not there? If it is, I can come up with finnish names if you want.
This city-state isn't any where near that area of the continent.

But, I could always use more place names, so go ahead and give me your suggestions.

Remove ads