Ranger/Scout build

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Actually, the list is much the same as the Scout's bonus feats. Not identical, but there's enough overlap to give you a good idea. It's also at the same rate: 1/four levels.

blargney the second

It might not be a bad idea to go for Distracting Attack. Animal companions add a lot of bookkeeping headaches for new players.

Incidentally, Scout levels are good for keeping ranks in Tumble up. You'll want that to be maxed as much as possible.

AnonymousOne

First Post
... why tumble with a ranged character like a ranger? If you run a set of mobility armor (MIC attribute) do you really need the ability to scoot do that? Consider also that the character's movement is 40 ft, 20 ft of tumble isn't a lot.

I might just be missing something major, so please explain.

Darklone

Ack no. Guys, WHY did NOONE MENTION GREATER MANYSHOT?????

What you do is ranger2/scout4, at level 6 you take Manyshot and Greater Manyshot (psio book but general feat) as your feats. Greater Manyshot allows you to shoot several arrows with skirmish damage to each arrow.

Next feat you can take is Improved Skirmish if you can't take it before.

Proceed to take ranger levels if you don't want evasion (costs one point of BAB) too soon.

I wouldn't take the spellless ranger if you are allowed to take all these nice new SC spells for rangers. Swift spells to boost all your attacks per round rock.

Try to get a Kalamar hobgoblin race. +2 to Con and Dex with -2 to all mental stats rocks for that ranger/scout. Friend of mine plays one right now in my pirate game, nickname is "Glasses"... he's wearing that Search+ item as monocle.

Don't forget to take a greataxe along and you might be interested in Power Attack.

Favored enemies: Constructs and Undead, then you can skirmish everything.

Edit: Forget Shot on the Run, you can't use it with Greater Manyshot, which will be the most potent thing your char can ever do in the game.

blargney the second

The tactical advantage of scouts is that they get to make one attack that really counts, while denying their opponents the ability to make a full-round attack. If you get based, Tumble lets you get away without giving them a free attack at their full attack bonus. (which is better than the full-round attack in some cases)

Darklone

Melee scout: Leap attack plus Powerful charge plus Improved Powerful charge plus Reckless Charge plus some class abilities plus some magic items plus Snap kick plus ...

Hammerhead

Explorer
If you're using Swift Hunter, you'll want to be going primarily Ranger. The full BAB combined with spells that you'll want to use, such as Hunter's Mercy, Arrow Mind, Listening Lorecall, etc. make it the ideal choice.

You can't go with Darklone's suggestion of Ranger 2 Scout 4, picking up with Manyshot and Greater Manyshot, for several reasons. First of all, you don't even meet the BAB prerequirements. Second, you'll have to wait until Level 9 for Swift Hunter, and Level 12 for Improved Skirmish...not good. Finally, you get Manyshot as a bonus Ranger feat at level 6, with no provision for replacing it.

If I were making a Swift Hunter, here's how I'd arrange my levels and feats:

Scout 1: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot (start with scout for the skill points)
Scout 1 / Ranger 1: Track
Scout 1 / Ranger 2: Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow)
Scout 2 / Ranger 2:
Scout 2 / Ranger 3: Endurance
Scout 3 / Ranger 3: Swift Hunter
Scout 3 / Ranger 4:
Scout 3 / Ranger 5:
Scout 3 / Ranger 6: Manyshot, Greater Manyshot
Scout 4 / Ranger 6: Improved Skirmish (as Scout bonus feat)

Distracting Attack from PHB2 is generally a much better choice than a fairly useless animal companion, especially if you have a Rogue in your party.

Erywin

First Post
IMO, the CC replacement for spells is only good if you are only allowed spells from the PHB. If the ranger is allowed spells from Spell Compendium then keep the spells, there are alot of swift action orientated ones that are great for a ranged character.

Holy Bovine

First Post
blargney the second said:
I just made one of these guys up the other week - they rock hardcore! Here's how you do it:

Human Ranger 1: Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus(light crossbow)
Ranger 1/Scout 2: Crossbow Sniper (PHB2 77)
Ranger 1/Scout 4: Swift Hunter (CSc 81)
Ranger 2/Scout 4: Improved Skirmish (CSc 78)

You'll end up with 4d6 skirmish damage at targets within 60 feet(!), 1/2 Dex to damage, and two favored enemies that you can skirmish regardless of type and immunities to critical hits(!). Constructs and undead make excellent choices for favored enemies.

Magic items you'll want for sure:
Foefinding Goggles allow you to ignore cover bonuses to AC. (MIC 108, 2500 gp)
+1 Bolts of Seeking (just 5 or 6 in case of emergency) allow you to ignore any % miss chances. (DMG 225, +2 total bonus)
Skirmisher Boots give +2 damage to skirmish attacks, and 2/day extra attack if you move >= 10 ft. (MIC 136, 3200 gp)

Enjoy!
-blarg

I think I'm in love. Great build - I wouldn't have thought of the crossbow though. Any reason you prefer that over a traditional composite (mighty) longbow?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases