Ranger/Scout build

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I see what you guys are getting at, we're just talking about different ends of the level spectrum. Ya ain't gonna get 28d6 one way or another at 6th level. :)

Manyshot++ will be amazing around 12th level when his attack bonus is high enough that he still stands a decent chance of hitting even with the penalty.
-blarg

1500run

First Post
one thing i haven't seen much of when a ranger goes the TWF route is the use of double weapons like the quarterstaff. there is a feat in Complete Warrior that adds +2 to your AC bonus from combat expertise if you use a quarterstaff, and you can also switch from 2-handed to TWF from round-to-round, lending maximum efficiency to feats like Power Attack, Two-Weapon Defense, and Two-Weapon Rend. the main drawback to a ranger is often a low AC, and those feats, along with a decent tumble modifier, the scout's class AC bonus, and the Dodge/Mobility/SpringAttack tree, makes a ranger's fights both shorter and longer (deals more damage, gets hit less often).

also, for a new player like your friend, all the d6's he'll use will make combat for him a breeze, allowing him to pay more attention to what's going on and the options he has available instead of fumbling with unfamiliar dice when things start happening quickly. a stupid point, to be sure, but it can't hurt to make things simple for a newbie.

AnonymousOne

First Post
Given Rapid Reload, can't you Manyshot with a Crossbow? Why can't we run the crossbow sniper feats out of the gate and run Manyshot a few levels down the line?

AnonymousOne

First Post
"Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage."

Right .. so you're not getting skirmish damage on each arrow as Skirmish is considered precision damage...

Legildur

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
"Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage."

Right .. so you're not getting skirmish damage on each arrow as Skirmish is considered precision damage...
I'm not exactly sure what you are replying to here, but I'll point out that other posters have recommended the Greater Manyshot feat as part of the various builds which overcomes this: "Your precision-based damage applies to each arrow fired, and, if you score a critical hit with more than one of the arrows, each critical hit deals critical damage."

Machiavelli

First Post
Well, I built this to gain some more personal perspective into E6 (see the awesome thread/s in House Rules), so it follows the idea that a +1 LA is bought off by dropping from 32 to 25 points in the ability score point buy.
It's also meant for a consistent style rather than pure optimization, so I intended to make this very catfolk-esque in its combat tactics.

That said, I hope it's helpful.

Code:
Catfolk Scout 2/ Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3
Str 11(12), Dex 20, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
25pt buy for +1 LA

Feats:
Scout 1:     Skirmish 1d6, trapfinding, Weapon Finesse
Scout 2:     Battle fortitude, Uncanny dodge
Barbarian 1: Whirling frenzy 1/day, Fast move +10', Catfolk Pounce
Ranger 1:    Track, Fav enemy +2 (human), Str +1
Ranger 2:    Two Weapon Fighting
Ranger 3:    Endurance, Fav enemy +4/+2 (orc), Skirmish 2d6 +1AC, Swift Hunter

AC 22 (10 +5 Dex +1 NA +5 chain +2 frenzy +1 skirmish -2 charge)
HP 45.5 (8+4d8+1d12+12)
BAB +5
Init +7
Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +1
Skill 62 SP
Speed 50

+11/+11/+9 (+5 BAB +5 Dex -2 Frenzy -2 TWF +2 charge +3 magic)
1d8+4d6+10/3d6+6 (1d8/1d6 base +2d6 scout +2d6 bane +3 Str +3 magic +4 favored)
73.5 average damage if it all hits against a human
Now, I'd like to point out that Human is the favored enemy choice only because I'm imagining a world where humans are more common foes than mechanical monsters and evil undead.

Darklone

AnonymousOne said:

In case we confused you, here's the second feat:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot

Remove ads