Constables of the 14th Ward

Fenris

Adventurer
Lou said:
"I've got it," replies Raul. "Jonas, how about giving me a hand here? When the time comes, you should fit Bruno with the other harness, and we can lower the two of you at the same time. You and Darius are our rope experts. How should we handle the rope when I descend? Are we leaving it in place, or is the rope tied to come loose somehow after we are all down?"

Jonas comes forward to lend a hand.

"I think we can leave the rope in place. We are behind a concealed door so it won't be too noticable. And without knowing how deep we are going, I'd rather have a safety rope in place. The small risk of the rope being found is far outweighed by the risk of having to climb this chimney without a rope."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

Caught musing about Andrew's sudden departure, SoulFetter looks around abashedly and indicates his readiness. Once he receives the 'Go' signal from his belayers, he eases over the ledge and begins his descent.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, guys - usually I can post more often on the weekends, but we were concerned my little girl's UTI had become a full blown kidney infection and since there are no all night clinics here we were at the emergency room until 3 this morning. Of course, it turns out it was just a stomach virus that's going around . . .[/sblock]

xedr

First Post
[highlight]"It's like this Raul"[/highlight] says Darius, starting to gesture but then remembering not to let go of the rope. [highlight]"We'll tie the two safety ropes together (creating a 200' length) that will be looped over this column here. I will pay out length from the bottom as you climb down the knotted rope. Once you're down, we'll leave the knotted rope in place, but take the safety line along with us. Otherwise, we could leave the safety rope in place, but then we wouldn't have any more rope for the rest of this rescue venture."[/highlight]

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the others began to actually descend into the pit, Thea stepped back out of the way. Until it was her turn to climb down, she wanted to stay out of the area where the rope experts were working. Only coincidentally, of course, her move put her between Wally and the door- even with the portal secured, there was no knowing what kind of mischief the odd half-orc might get into with most of the physically-adept types busy with the climbing operation (or, shall we say, "tied up" with the rope...).

OOC: [sblock]Thea will hang back, away from the edge, until it is actually her turn to climb. Watching Wally with Sense Motive +9, roll 13 ( http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1226499 ), in case he shows signs of causing trouble. [/sblock]

Lou

Explorer
Raul at the hole 4

Mowgli said:
Caught musing about Andrew's sudden departure, SoulFetter looks around abashedly and indicates his readiness. Once he receives the 'Go' signal from his belayers, he eases over the ledge and begins his descent.

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, guys - usually I can post more often on the weekends, but we were concerned my little girl's UTI had become a full blown kidney infection and since there are no all night clinics here we were at the emergency room until 3 this morning. Of course, it turns out it was just a stomach virus that's going around . . .[/sblock]

"Wally, you ready to go? Soulfetter needs to know where to stop." inquires Raul, "We're ready for you. You're the one who knows where the halfling is being held."

[sblock=OOC] No problem. I wasn't trying to rush you. Honest. Just queuing you up. Hope your little girl's feeling better quickly. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
The Decent

Your careful preparation pays off. The rope creaks and pops ominously as Soulfetter and Wally descend into the darkness. They pass a handful of openings in the stone walls. After about 30 feet the type of stone blocks making up the walls of the shaft changes and the stonework looks older and more worn. You note that some of the tunnels are marked. One seems to indicate a danger of falling rock another bad air. An irregular clanging sound echos up one shaft that angles away to the side and down. At another small hole a moaning sound that could be human can be heard distantly. After another 40 feet or so Wally says, "Ah there's the spot for us, hold up." He gestures at an arched passage extending off at a ninety degree angle. The only thing to distinguish this tunnel from 3 or 4 very similar ones is that it smells vaguely of some sort of incense, perhaps sandalwood. There is also a flat stone at the base of the shaft that extends 3 inches out into the shaft. With his reach, Soulfetter is able to grab the lip of the tunnel with ease and swing himself into it. Wally moves nimbly in beside you. "Well bring them on, but softly if you please, you never know what other denizens of the 13th might be about." Soon the next group arrives. So far Wally has done nothing suspicious. Moving down the passage a short distance reveals a stair leading further down. You begin to descend these as well with an admonition from Wally to "mind the steps after the first turning, there are some loose stones." As promised the steps could have resulted in a fall had you not taken care. At a landing some 30 or 40 feet down, Wally pauses again to open another concealed door. The smell of smoke and incense is stronger here. The passage beyond the door extends about 15' and ends in a 'T'. There are hinges suggesting a metal gate of some sort once blocked this passage. To the left is an ornate carved door marked 'catacombs'. Before it is a discarded helmet of old design with a broken chin strap and several empty vials, some broken, marked with a holy symbol of Pelor that were most likely holy water. To the right the passage widens to 15' and two very large brass braziers are set into the wall and floor. This seems to be the source of the smell of smoke and incense. It seems likely that these were once kept lit, but do not appear to have been used in years. Beyond is a larger room that has the look of a of a temple of some sort. Wall brackets once held torches behind stained glass, but only a few shards of the glass remain making it impossible to determine what images if any they might have depicted. A large central platform must have held an altar at one time, but it has been removed. A large blackened patch on the floor suggests that fires have been burned here. Whatever pews or other fixtures might once have been here seem to have fed the fire. The remains of a few blood red curtains remain on the walls. There is a strange sinister feeling to this place. A taint of evil that while not visible is palpable none the less. At the far side of the room are three arched doorways. Wally selects the left and you enter another large bare room. In one corner of the room the wall has collapsed. Wally directs you to scramble over fallen stones and down a brief slope in a natural cavern space. After winding through a couple of small natural looking caves you come to another passage of worked stone. "We continue on this way, but if you've an interest there is field of mushrooms the other way," he points the opposite direction on the new passage. "They have healing properties and keep for several days. We could pick a few. I usually pick up some when I'm down this way. Very handy if we run into trouble."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

"I love mushrooms, personally - I say we at least pick some to take back with us and examine."

I wonder what these mushrooms might do to the flavor of an ale. I'll have to take enough back to use some in a batch.

"So far so good, Wally. You're proving to be an excellent guide!"

The more he thinks we trust him, the better. Plus, if he does have any sort of conscience it's better if he likes us when the time comes for him to make a choice.

xedr

First Post
[highlight]"As a possible supplement to our resources, such mushrooms could be invaluable."[/highlight] says Darius. After taking a long look down the passage, Darius turns away and prepares to accompany Alarion towards the cavern Wally indicated. Darius will follow Wally's lead before putting anything in his pouch. Darius plans to gather four 'shrooms.

Last edited:

Remove ads