E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aage

First Post
Ioreck said:
while i do this, i have the levels spread out, so slow xp gain.

However, at the usual xp markings (where you level up in normal dnd), you still get the feat and ability up.

Exactly what I planned to do, except ability up... I'm also remaking the character classes (minor changes) to better suit a 6 level progression...

Ry

Explorer
The stacking rules remain the same as in standard D&D. I will fix the original post

Ioreck

First Post
The only reason I unclude ability up is i use elite array stats, not 32 point buy (25 point buy).

But I cap out stats at 16. you cant assign higher than 15 as a starting character.
- i fully believe there is a physical limit to how strong a human can be.

Ry

Explorer
To all: I may not be able to respond to each individual post anymore, they are getting hard to keep up with if I am going to
1) write a setting/adventure for E6
2) prepare some kind of basic pdf (please bear with me, I hate and suck at layout)
3) playtest E6

But for Shazman; one great thing about E6 is that it lets you improvise a lot. E6 characters really can't take on level 20 enemies. If you look at the TItan, that's an overbuilt Goliath for an overbuilt David. But you can do substitution for almost anything. I want to help with that, and I certainly think it's doable for the adventure paths (using monsters with simpler stats in the place of wayy too complicated monsters with ridiculous stats). If you run E6, you can get very good at reusing stats very quickly.

Ry

Explorer
Dragonblade275 said:
Question(s) concerning the Death Flag.
1. Is 1 HP above death 1 hit point or -9 hit points (dying per the normal rules)? In other words is there still a chance that the character will die if he or she does not stabilize?

2. Is it impossible for a character to die if the death flag has not been raised?​

1. -9, but more severe cases cause for severe measures. The GM can decide that it will take days before the character reawakens from their coma.
2. With the death flag mechanic, the player chooses when their character is on the line. So yes, it's impossible for a player-character to die if the death flag has not been raised.

#2 asks the players to take responsibility about death in the same way the rest of the system asks the DM to take responsibility for creating appropriate challenges. If you think #2 would a problem for your players, then I'd recommend against using the death flag in your game. Conviction works fine with or without the Death Flag.

Ioreck

First Post
Why is the whole cr rating in the MM a problem??

You have a group of level 6 adventurers. You want to put them to the test by making them fight a titan. But oh no, the as-statted titan in your MM is waaay beyond their power! What do you do?

It really isn't hard to turn a CR 21 monster into say a CR 12 one.

What I'd do is simple: take away his enchanted gear, drop his hit die, etc etc until you have a suitable challenge!

Swap chain lighting for lightning bolt ans such.

Honestly, all I'd do is make a hill giant a bit tougher.

kaomera

Explorer
For a Titan, a Hill Giant is CR 7. Make it huge (or bigger) and bump it's Int and/or Cha up (I'd probably leave the rest of it's stats alone, of course it's overall AC goes down a bit...). Gestalt with Sorcerer (or Wizard, or Cleric...) for 5 or 6 of it's 12 hit dice. Then add a few extra feats...

or:

Barbaralkis, Titan of the Wild Peaks

Huge Giant (Native Outsider, Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 6d12 + 48 (92 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50' (fly 40' with winged boots)
AC: 21 (-2 Size, +2 Dex, +5 Natural, +6 +1 breastplate of light fortification), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Base Attack / Grapple: +6 / +21
Attack: Granite Edge (Huge +2 Dancing Battleaxe), +15 melee (3d6+7/x3) or
or Huge Masterwork Composite (20 Str) Shortbow, +9 ranged (2d6+5/x3)
Full Attack: Granite Edge (Huge +2 Dancing Battleaxe), +15/+10 melee (3d6+7/x3)
or Huge Masterwork Composite (20 Str) Shortbow, +9/+4 ranged (2d6+5/x3)
Space/Reach: 15'/15'
Special Attacks: Spells (Druid 5/4/4/3)
Special Qualities: Animal companion (dire mountain goat), darkvision 90', fast movement, low-light vision, nature sense, rage 2x / day, regeneration 10*, resist fire 10, resist nature's lure, scent, trackless step, trap sense +2, wild empathy, wild shape (2/day), woodland (mountainside) stride
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +4, Will +9
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: Climb +8, Concentration +11, Handle Animal +4, Heal +13, Intimidate +12, Jump +12, Knowledge (Nature) +11, Listen +7, Spot +7, Survival +13
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Brew Potion, Cleave, Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Self-Sufficient, Snatch, Toughness (x2), Track
Environment: the Wild Peaks
Organization: Unique
CR: ~12 (?)
Treasure: As above, plus minor ring of fire resistance and winged boots
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

* Barbaralkis cannot regenerate damage dealt to him in melee by any creature that knows his true name.

Aage

First Post
One thing I noticed when looking at my classes was this

Base attack bonuses:
Code:
Good	Medium	Poor
+1	+0	+0
+2	+1	+1
+3	+2	+1
+4	+3	+2
+5	+3	+2
+6	+4	+3
The medium progression's advantage over the poor is somewhat minor, so what I did was I changed the progressions to 2/3 and 1/3 (instead of 3/4 and 1/2)... Which gives us:

Base attack bonuses:
Code:
Good	Medium	Poor
+1	+0	+0
+2	+1	+0
+3	+2	+1
+4	+2	+1
+5	+3	+1
+6	+4	+2

Just a thought... :uhoh:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
rycanada said:
To all: I may not be able to respond to each individual post anymore, they are getting hard to keep up with if I am going to
1) write a setting/adventure for E6
2) prepare some kind of basic pdf (please bear with me, I hate and suck at layout)
3) playtest E6

But for Shazman; one great thing about E6 is that it lets you improvise a lot. E6 characters really can't take on level 20 enemies. If you look at the TItan, that's an overbuilt Goliath for an overbuilt David. But you can do substitution for almost anything. I want to help with that, and I certainly think it's doable for the adventure paths (using monsters with simpler stats in the place of wayy too complicated monsters with ridiculous stats). If you run E6, you can get very good at reusing stats very quickly.

That's not really what I'm looking for. If I had the time to rework every encounter in an adventure to make it suitable for E6 characters, I might as well write my own. I wouldn't mind doing it if I had the time, but I don't. I may be able to substitute similar weaker creatures for the challenges, but completely reworking creatures isn't an option for me.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Shazman said:
That's not really what I'm looking for. If I had the time to rework every encounter in an adventure to make it suitable for E6 characters, I might as well write my own. I wouldn't mind doing it if I had the time, but I don't. I may be able to sustitute similar weaker creatures for the challenges, but completely reworking creatures isn't an option for me.

Fair enough; E6 has different assumptions than D&D, and that has a real impact. Compatibility with high level adventures is lost by design; E6 keeps the "heroic fantasy" vibe, while those high level adventures start requiring superheroics.

Just curious - which AP are you looking at running?

Attachments

• DMs Able Secretary.xls
    27 KB · Views: 316

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads