another WotC article: How to add (X) to Forgotten Realms

Driddle

First Post
Why are they still bothering to provide story and/or mechanics details so that players can add Supplement Flavor of the Month to the Forgotten Realms campaign? (Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic this week, for example.) I thought that product line was sorta tied up and left to die a natural death. And have I missed similar online features that propose the same thing for Eberron, a still-growing campaign system?

Glyfair

Explorer
Driddle said:
I thought that product line was sorta tied up and left to die a natural death.

I don't believe that's necessarily the case. I do think it's in reevaluation mode (what can we put out that will sell).

And have I missed similar online features that propose the same thing for Eberron, a still-growing campaign system?

Yes.

Keith just doesn't have enough time to get a good backlog of articles, and that's supposedly what they are waiting for (the backlog). He's working a full time job, writing a novel, and he keeps getting distracted by messageboard conversations ;)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I have no idea why. I was hoping that things like this would go into the new "Digital Initiative" so that I wouldn't miss them when they were no longer there... ;)

--Steve

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Driddle said:
Why are they still bothering to provide story and/or mechanics details so that players can add Supplement Flavor of the Month to the Forgotten Realms campaign? (Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic this week, for example.) I thought that product line was sorta tied up and left to die a natural death. And have I missed similar online features that propose the same thing for Eberron, a still-growing campaign system?

Why is this a negative thing? :confused:

Whether or not the Realms will be continued, WotC is at least offering support for both the Realms and shadowcasters in the here and now. If I was wanting to play a shadowcaster in the Realms, this is just the sort of article I'd be on the lookout for.

If the Realms do get cancelled, then I hope they put out all the material they can until the line is discontinued. And even if it is discontinued in print, maybe we'll at least get more support via the web so that the setting continues to have some sort of new material.

Banshee16

First Post
Glyfair said:
I don't believe that's necessarily the case. I do think it's in reevaluation mode (what can we put out that will sell).

Hmmm....maybe some more regional books? Old Empires, maybe Amn and some of those kingdoms, the Moonshaes, etc.? There are lots of places to go that haven't been done yet.

There was a secret orders of evil book (Lords of Darkness)....why not something related, but for good characters?

I almost can't believe the realms are possibly facing cancellation....they're been there forever, you kind of assume they'll be around....like the moon. If they end up being cancelled, you'd have to wonder what WotC is doing.....it'll be getting to the point that they're a one-setting company, and I have no idea how well Eberron is doing.

Banshee

SteveC

Hammerhead said:
Driddle is right. How dare they post free articles to the internet? Just who do they think they are?
That entirely misses the point. WotC has limited resources and staff to write their web content, and they put up a lot of great stuff. They also do a lot of things like this, that have, shall we say, limited appeal. More generic content is good, and less content aimed at any particular campaign world. As the bard might say, more matter, less art.

--Steve

Glyfair

Explorer
SteveC said:
More generic content is good, and less content aimed at any particular campaign world.
Nonsense. Each world has its fans (in fact, some are fans of the various worlds) and supporting them is important as well. A good mix of world specific articles (some of which can be written to be adaptable to any campaign setting) and generic articles is the key.

Now some will criticize this effort as unworthy of the Forgotten Realms. I don't know how the FR fans feel about the series, but I do know the "Eberron Expanded" series is well thought of by Eberron fans.

SteveC

Glyfair said:
Nonsense. Each world has its fans (in fact, some are fans of the various worlds) and supporting them is important as well. A good mix of world specific articles (some of which can be written to be adaptable to any campaign setting) and generic articles is the key.

Now some will criticize this effort as unworthy of the Forgotten Realms. I don't know how the FR fans feel about the series, but I do know the "Eberron Expanded" series is well thought of by Eberron fans.
All I can do is really speak from my perspective here and say that articles about the Realms mean I'm going to close that tab and refresh EN World and see if there's anything new.

If I were a Realms fan, I suppose I might have a different opinion, but still, this is a fluff article on adapting the fluff from a class to a particular game world? Bleah! Expanding options for that class, or even something as simple as writeups of the class at various levels like the old "class acts" is something else.

Now I'm still not in a position where my opinions are universal law, so you may feel free to take this as just one guy's opinion. :)

--Steve

Faraer

Explorer
Driddle said:
Why are they still bothering to provide story and/or mechanics details so that players can add Supplement Flavor of the Month to the Forgotten Realms campaign?
To help Realms DMs and players use the splatbook classes in their games, and to sell them the splatbooks would be two big reasons.
I thought that product line was sorta tied up and left to die a natural death.
Not as far as we know. There are novel releases scheduled through 2010, and Rich Baker has recently expressed excitement about the future of the game line.
Glyfair said:
Each world has its fans (in fact, some are fans of the various worlds) and supporting them is important as well.
And Wizards realizes this, as Paizo belatedly came to. There are many who subscribed to Dragon, and will to the online service, primarily for setting-specific content. Personally, I prefer lore for known settings I'm not even fond of to depthless implicit-setting-we-know-nothing-about spurious-rules-heavy 'generic' work.
A good mix of world specific articles (some of which can be written to be adaptable to any campaign setting) and generic articles is the key.
Most of which, I think; it's easier to include a village or an NPC or a plot hook in your campaign world than a whole class of characters or type of magic.
We feel likewise. Eytan knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Remove ads