How Would 3.75 Impact Your 4.0 Decision

How would 3.75 impact your 4E spending habits?

• I'd get 4E and not 3.75. "It's not 'D&D'"

Votes: 145 49.8%
  • I'd get 3.75 and not 4E. "4E is not my 'D&D'"

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • I'd get both. I love having more games.

Votes: 23 7.9%
  • I'll decide later, wait for the reviews, flip through the pages of both and decide then.

Votes: 65 22.3%
  • "PLANE SHIFT!" "Lets earn some XP!"

Votes: 30 10.3%

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Maybe its time someone asks the question no one is currently asking. We all know that WotC is busy, busy, busy and the lack of a 4E SRD may cause Necromancer and Paizo (and who knows how many others) to jointly release a 3.75. So time to say, if this scenario does happen (even temporarily) how will this influence your spending habits?

Cadfan

First Post
I wouldn't even look at it.

Why would I? Why in the world would a 3.75 be a better idea than just continuing to publish under 3.5?

I don't think there's going to be a 3.75. I think that's a fan fantasy. But since you asked the question, no chance. No chance at all.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I'd be "stuck" buying both. Though, as I noted in another thread, part of me relishes the idea. Even if I still ended up playing 4.0 afterall.

Azgulor

Adventurer
I'd buy it as it would likely have a high amount of compatibility with my 3.5 library. Much more than 4e will apparently have.

If Paizo or Green Ronin were doing it? I'd pre-order today.

mhensley

First Post
No impact at all. If I wasn't going to upgrade to 4e, why on earth would I upgrade to anything else- I would just continue playing 3.5.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Virtually none. A '3.75' wouldn't have enough changes to make it worth bothering it, and more than likely they'd just be changes in print that I could make myself if I wanted to take the five or six hours it would take to make those changes.

The reason no-one is asking that question is because it's a fantasy that some people have allowed themselves to believe would ever come to pass. Did anyone think there would ever be a '3.25'? No. Anyone who thinks that any significant company will not move to 4.0 - even if it stinks - is just denying the lessons of history.

RuneQuest 3.0 was very poorly received. Did that prevent people from producing supplements for it? No. Did anyone continue producing RuneQuest 2.0 stuff? No. DId anyone of note continue producing 3.0 D&D stuff? No, they all moved to 3.5.

Rechan

Adventurer
I picked "4e, not 3.75", but I want to note my disagreement with the statement "3.75 is not D&D".

I'd be going with 4e because I like the changes being made, and like it or not, the majority will be switching, ergo it's easier to find a group that is using 4e rather than 3.75.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Same as Rechan; I picked the 4e over 3.75e, but not because "it's not D&D". Rather I'm sure that this would be a short lived experiment I do not intend to invest time and money into. A year later this "3.75" will be sold cheaply on Ebay, and I'll probably get a slice of that.

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden

FourthBear

First Post
While I think that you could publish a "3.75" edition that would be D&D, I wouldn't buy it until I heard some truly remarkable things about it. I didn't like the 3.5 edition because it was changed *just enough* to make it somewhat difficult to use 3.0 materials, but not enough to make it feel like a good use of my money. I much, much prefer the 4e policy of a grounds-up reworking of the game. That seems like a better buy. Like others have said, if you want to continue supporting 3.5e, just do so. I can just imagine several companies with various versions of 3.75 fighting it out for the Third Edition Grognard player base.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Selling a 3.75 ruleset would be a poor financial decision for any publisher who hopes to content with with 4th edition.

For a quick buck, sure. For sustainability over time, no.

Remove ads