How Would 3.75 Impact Your 4.0 Decision

How would 3.75 impact your 4E spending habits?

• I'd get 4E and not 3.75. "It's not 'D&D'"

Votes: 145 49.8%
  • I'd get 3.75 and not 4E. "4E is not my 'D&D'"

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • I'd get both. I love having more games.

Votes: 23 7.9%
  • I'll decide later, wait for the reviews, flip through the pages of both and decide then.

Votes: 65 22.3%
  • "PLANE SHIFT!" "Lets earn some XP!"

Votes: 30 10.3%

Wepwawet

Explorer
PLANE SHIFT! :lol:

I think I already play something like 3.75...
In the campaign I DM I used a lot of house rules that in my opinion favored the game a lot. Like no Vancian magic (every spell caster works a bit like sorcerer) and I always prefered fights with many monsters instead of just one (there's no need to calculate EL, all XP from all monsters involved added together is almost the same as the EL for that encounter)
And some other stuff I don't remember now...

It was really cool to hear about 4ed because it sounds like the game I want to play, totally :)

Instead of 3.75 why not just read Unearthed Arcana (and other supplements), and devise your own upgrade?

Last edited:

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I stop and think about it, puting a poll asking, "would you consider a non-4E version" on a 4E forums was a bad idea.

Moderator, can this thread be moved to the regular forums please?

GlassJaw

Hero
The interest I might have with 3.75 is what the publisher decided "needed" changing. Because from what I've read, no one can really agree on what really needs changing. It would really be one person's opinion.

So I'd be curious but almost certainly not curious enough to buy it.

My decision will either be 4E or my own house-ruled version of 3.5. I think most people are extremely well-versed in 3.5 and can decide on their own what works and doesn't work for their own campaigns.

Pygon

First Post
Paizo has some nice flavor to their content, so I'm interested to see what they would come up with. But I'll have to wait and see both.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I stop and think about it, puting a poll asking, "would you consider a non-4E version" on a 4E forums was a bad idea.

Moderator, can this thread be moved to the regular forums please?
I can't imagine the response will be much different. People were pissed when 3.5 got announced, and now people are pissed because 4E got announced. Why would people be any more enthused by an announcement of "Hey, we made even more incremental changes to the game you're already playing! Time to buy new books!" ?

Mercule

Adventurer
I said "wait for reviews" because that's the closest. Really, I'd be extremely interested in learning about 3.75 -- if done by someone like Paizo or Necromancer -- but I don't see me ever playing it.

4E, on the other hand, I'm getting the basic three books just in case I ever wanted to play D&D.

Hmm... Maybe that wasn't the closest to my answer, after all.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I don't think you should have put the qualifying statements on the poll. I voted 4E, not 3.75, but not because "It's not D&D". The choice to me seems to be "would you buy a smaller company's house-ruled version of 3.5 D&D with no idea of quality and probably little support, or a new edition which is going to be the new standard with ongoing support from both the parent company and 3rd parties." It seems not very different than a choice between sticking with 3.5 or going with 4E.

Flynn

First Post
I'd likely do both, but I chose "wait and see" simply because I have grown somewhat frugal with my gaming dollar of late. Part of it would depend on whether I'm going to play in a game in either system. Also, it won't be too much longer before Fantasy Concepts is ready, and I want to explore that as well.

With Regards,
Flynn

Chocobot

First Post
I'll buy 4e. I won't buy 3.75, not because I don't think it's D&D, or it's not the official version. Just because I think it's a waste of money. How long do you think 3.75 can last? Even Paizo probably wouldn't continue supporting it for more than a year. They're not a charity organization to provide gaming products to needy gamers. They're a business. They need to make money which they do by selling products, and 4e will sell more than 3.75.

So it's a waste of money. If you're happy with what you've got, save your money and keep playing 3.5. If you want something new, get 4e. Don't buy soemthing that's going to be discontinued in a year. That's just a bad investment.

Remove ads