• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would 3.75 Impact Your 4.0 Decision

How would 3.75 impact your 4E spending habits?

• I'd get 4E and not 3.75. "It's not 'D&D'"

Votes: 145 49.8%
  • I'd get 3.75 and not 4E. "4E is not my 'D&D'"

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • I'd get both. I love having more games.

Votes: 23 7.9%
  • I'll decide later, wait for the reviews, flip through the pages of both and decide then.

Votes: 65 22.3%
  • "PLANE SHIFT!" "Lets earn some XP!"

Votes: 30 10.3%

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
If the theoretical "3.75" were an improvement on the current rulesset - say, a fantasy version of Star Wars Saga Edition, ideally with more of either a Sword and Sorcery or Final Fantasy vibe, I would buy it and use it rather than upgrading existing d20 core rules to be SWSE compatible.

If 4e is as good or better than a SWSE-based d20 system for my needs, I'll use it. (I'll buy it to write for it whether it is or not, obviously.)

They would not be in any way exclusive of each other.

Neither one nor the other "being D&D" would have any impact on my interest, only one, the other or both "being a good game."

Support wouldn't matter much to me, either. "3.75," if SWSE-based, would be largely compatible with the incredible wealth of d20 Modern and D&D 3.5 supplements already on the market, many of them quite cheap. 4e will invariably have a similar wealth of support from WotC and third party publishers.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Sir Brennen said:
I don't think you should have put the qualifying statements on the poll. I voted 4E, not 3.75, but not because "It's not D&D". The choice to me seems to be "would you buy a smaller company's house-ruled version of 3.5 D&D with no idea of quality and probably little support, or a new edition which is going to be the new standard with ongoing support from both the parent company and 3rd parties." It seems not very different than a choice between sticking with 3.5 or going with 4E.

What Lord Brennen said. The loaded "It's not D&D" comment aside, I'm not buying 3.75e. I will be playing 4e (barring a VERY unexpected catastrophe). I love Paizo to death, but I am not interested in a 3.75e as anything other than a curiosity - and I've already read more than enough 3e variants, so I'm not even that curious.

Heck, the odd shape of the SWSE was enough to keep me away from that curiosity.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
One thing I mentioned on the Paizo thread: do a 'Arcana Unearthed'. That, to my mind, was a '3.25'; magic system changes, spell changes, magic item changes, new classes, new feat concepts, etc. If you're going to do a "Pathfinder RPG" then make it something uniquely Pathfinder. They're already making changes to monster fluff, so why not go whole hog?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
dmccoy1693 said:
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I stop and think about it, puting a poll asking, "would you consider a non-4E version" on a 4E forums was a bad idea.

Moderator, can this thread be moved to the regular forums please?

You are probably getting more attention here then in the "general" thread. And I don't know that the results would be that different.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I'd probably buy 3.75. After all, I bought 3.5, Unearthed Arcana, MM4-5 and Magic Item Compendium, which all introduced minor changes to the rules.

Doug McCrae

Legend
dmccoy1693 said:
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I stop and think about it, puting a poll asking, "would you consider a non-4E version" on a 4E forums was a bad idea.
Poll not giving the result you wanted?

Crashy75

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Maybe its time someone asks the question no one is currently asking. We all know that WotC is busy, busy, busy and the lack of a 4E SRD may cause Necromancer and Paizo (and who knows how many others) to jointly release a 3.75. So time to say, if this scenario does happen (even temporarily) how will this influence your spending habits?
I'm almost positive that there will be a 4E SRD.
EDIT: I'd flip through and see what I like best btw.

Li Shenron

Legend
Moniker said:
Selling a 3.75 ruleset would be a poor financial decision for any publisher who hopes to content with with 4th edition.

For a quick buck, sure. For sustainability over time, no.

Maybe they don't want to compete over time. And which edition has ever sustained indefinitely?

Remove ads