Into the New World, Chapter 1: Amongst the Verdant Towers

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko turns to look at Erin when she calls his name. He lifts his hand to his forehead and shakes it in exasperation. Great, I guess, it's be safer if we go now. There are sure to be others coming with us, and we'll have the help of the council. As he stands, silently beside the almost manic Erin, he once again scans the crowd for Artimisia.

Zurai

First Post
As dusk turned into night, and the stars flickered into visibility one by one, the crowds in Cuirlen's town square gradually congealed around the seven Elders, then began to thin out. By High Dark, only a handful were left. The crowd around Eriboea and Anakletos was by far the largest, although the group clamoring for Kallistrate's attention was also sizeable. Only a bare handful approached Pantheras.

Eriboea's and Anakletos' List said:
Naturally, Cleyra approaches her mentor's line, offering to help Eriboea rebuild. "However," she insists, "I also intend to lend my hand to the hunting parties whenever my duties will allow."

It takes some time for the crowd to disperse enough for you to speak to Eriboea. When you do, she smiles wearily at you. "I had no doubt, Cleyra. Still..." she pauses and turns to look at the small group speaking to Pantheras. "I think others might be able to use your talents more. You are a natural leader - although you need to work on your patience with others - and you're one of the most organized people I know. They..." and she looks again at the group around Panthereas; you note the five young people you were talking to before the earth-quake, as well as a huntress you're not familiar with and a pair of middle-aged men who look like herders.

"... I would not say that any of those heading out into the wilderness are organized. Unfortunately, they are the ones who most need to have someone to keep things together." She turns back to face you fully and looks you straight in the eye. "I would consider it a personal favor if you would accompany the exploration party and do your best to help them survive. We can ill afford to lose so many promising young ones, and their mission could be absolutely vital. I will not lie to you: the Elders are not expecting anyone who goes on that mission to survive. I cannot force you to accept this task, and I will not look down on you if you, who have so many people relying on you, were to refuse. Know that if you do accept, I will personally look after your farm; do not fear that you will return to ruin there. So, what say you? Will you accept my request?" She gazes at you levelly.[sblock=OOC]Assuming you do accept, you move on and are party to this next speech as well.[/sblock]
Panthera's List said:
Thane shows up next to Pantheras, and speaks quietly. "You would be hard-pressed to find a hunter who has ranged farther or for longer than I, with my father gone. I will aid this exploration, and help discover what has troubled the spirits."
Ryon walks over to Pantheras. "Put me on that list as well, Pantheras. I know the land as well as any here, better than most. I know the forest as well as its denizens. How to fight them, and more importantly, how to avoid them. Kallistrate saw to that."

"I'll go explore too," she says.
Enko turns to look at Erin when she calls his name. He lifts his hand to his forehead and shakes it in exasperation. As he stands, silently beside the almost manic Erin, he once again scans the crowd for Artimisia.
[sblock=Enko]You don't have to look far to see Artemisia. She's one of the eight people gathered in front of Pantheras.[/sblock]

Pantheras nods to each of you as you make your offers. In addition to the five friends, there are three others gathered in front of Pantheras: Artemisia, the beautiful young huntress; Metrophanes, a middle-aged cattle herder; and Andronikos, a horse herder with his arm in a split on his side. Still, Pantheras says nothing and appears to be waiting, only half paying attention to those around him, for nearly a half hour. Eventually, another young woman approaches, who you recognize from just before the earth-quake. He gives her a grateful, if exhausted, smile, then turns to face everyone.

"I am surprised and pleased that even this many of you have volunteered. I had to argue hard and long to get the others to accept the importance of this mission; they felt that the risks were too high and the likelyhood of any group of size forming to accept the mission too low." He pauses here and closes his eyes, taking a deep breath.

When he opens them again, he sweeps his gaze across each of you, meeting your eyes. "I will be honest with you. We do not expect anyone who leaves on this mission to return to us. The world is a dangerous place for strangers, and the spirits are unsettled and uneasy by the explosion on the mountain. Enko, you know of what I speak. I cannot gaurantee that any of you will survive this task, and I cannot gaurantee that, even if you do, you will learn anything of value to us. No one will hold it against you if you turn back now and pledge yourself to another task." Here he waits, again meeting your eyes with his own.

Artemisia stands firm, tossing her hair back over her shoulder in defiance. The two herders, however, look nervous, and talk briefly between themselves. After their brief discussion, they look sheepish and duck their heads as they shuffle off to join one of the other lists. Pantheras watches without expression.[sblock=OOC]Again, I'm assuming none of you back down. You still can, if you so desire; just let me know.[/sblock]

"That was for their benefit, anyway. I had not expected the rest of you to back down. You will all need to be totally commited to this task to succeed, if success is indeed possible. Now that I know you are, I will accept your pledges. The seven of you are our hope for the future. Go now to your friends and family and be with them for one last night. Gather your things and meet me at the Council chambers tomorrow at Highsun. I will have some last words for you, as well as some information and what supplies and gifts we can spare." So saying, he smiles again at each of you, then turns and departs to commune with the spirits.

Last edited:

Masquerade

First Post
Zurai said:
Eriboea pauses and turns to look at the small group speaking to Pantheras. "I think others might be able to use your talents more. You are a natural leader - although you need to work on your patience with others - and you're one of the most organized people I know. They..." and she looks again at the group around Panthereas; you note the five young people you were talking to before the earth-quake, as well as a huntress you're not familiar with and a pair of middle-aged men who look like herders.
So it's that ambitious bunch, is it? They lack patience, certainly. And discipline. Hmph. If I'm to join them, I should accustom myself to going unheard.

Still, Eriboea is as insightful as always. Without organization, they are likely to fail...even die. And it does sound more interesting than staying here to rebuild, even if there is danger involved. It would be a new challenge. And just think of the things we might find...

I hope I don't regret this decision...

Zurai said:
"So, what say you? Will you accept my request?" She gazes at you levelly.
"I would not take such a direct suggestion from you lightly. You know me well, and your advice has never failed me before. I will accept, and I do not intend to disappoint.

"Please check in on Mathis and mother while you're looking over the land. They're very important to me."

Zurai said:
"Now that I know you are, I will accept your pledges. The nine of you are our hope for the future. Go now to your friends and family and be with them for one last night. Gather your things and meet me at the Council chambers tomorrow at Highsun. I will have some last words for you, as well as some information and what supplies and gifts we can spare." So saying, he smiles again at each of you, then turns and departs to commune with the spirits.
Cleyra departs immediately following her pledge to the party, sparing only the words "goodbye, until tomorrow" for her new companions. There is too much about which to think, for which to plan. Quietly contemplating to herself, she begins the walk home.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Pantheras said:
"The nine of you are our hope for the future. Go now to your friends and family and be with them for one last night. Gather your things and meet me at the Council chambers tomorrow at Highsun. I will have some last words for you, as well as some information and what supplies and gifts we can spare."

"I will spend the night outside the town. The forests are uneasy, I should speak to them, perhaps I might learn something of what is to come." In a rare occurrence, Thane cracks a slight smile. "If I do not return tomorrow, I think you can assume your trip will be dangerous."

Without more words, Thane turns and strides off, quickly melting into the crowd.

[sblock=Zurai]
I'm just heading a short distance out of the town so I get into the wilderness, then I'm casting Guidance and using Survival (+10 with the Guidance bonus in the wilderness) to try to get a feel for what we're in for.
[/sblock]

Zurai

First Post
Nac Mac Feegle said:
Without more words, Thane turns and strides off, quickly melting into the crowd.

[sblock=Zurai]
I'm just heading a short distance out of the town so I get into the wilderness, then I'm casting Guidance and using Survival (+10 with the Guidance bonus in the wilderness) to try to get a feel for what we're in for.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Thane]
Even after dark you can see a dull red glow on the horizon in the direction of the mountains. You can also make out massive black clouds rising through the red haze; you can't tell for sure, but it's possible you may have to deal with falling ash as you approach the mountain more closely.

In the more immediate sense, the weather should be relatively clear for the next couple days. Your connection to the wild feels vaguely out of synch, and you can't see or hear any of the wildlife you would normally expect to be out and about at this hour. Even the insects seem subdued.[/sblock]

WarShrike

First Post
"Highsun it is then. I'll be off to the Wolfheart's compound now, unless any of the ladies present want to go off to explore the bubling springs with me?" If he recieves no positive responses, he walks towards his home, whistling.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Alisitia pulls a face at the animal-tamer's suggestion, and after he has left looks at each of her new friends resolutely and nods once, biting on her lip.. and leaves. Time to tell her parents...

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko finds himself silently watching as the other leave. "I won't let anyone die..." he mumbles under his breath. "No way... I won't." Hesitantly he approaches Artimisia and greets her. "Hi... Artimisia. So... what do you think of this, huh?"

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Thane turns his head and pauses in his stride as Enko speaks, retracing his step and speaking quietly to the young healer. "We're going out into the wild, healer. Out there, it's not you that gets to decide such things, it's the forests. You'd best get used to that."

Shayuri

First Post
Erin smirks at the others, gives Ryon an appraising look...perhaps a bit surprised by his forwardness...then shakes her head.

"I need to help mother get set up so she can watch the sheep while I'm gone. Besides, there'll be plenty of time and plenty of springs. Get your rest while you can."

With a grin and a laugh, she runs off towards her house.

Remove ads