Into the New World, Chapter 1: Amongst the Verdant Towers

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko wonders where Pantheras might have gone. If he can't think of anything he heads on home, hoping that he'll have time to ask about it tomorrow.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
A Daughter's Farewell.

Alistia meets her parents after the line-ups; they ask her where she was and which line she signed up for. They didn't see her at the re-building group?

She tells them which group she volunteered for.

There is a moment of silence, of shock. "No." says her mother quietly, "No, no. Tell her no. Kereos." she says to her husband.

Father gets up from his chair and after a pause says, "Alistia, we love you. Why would you do something like this?"

"Because.. because I have to. I know with all my heart that this is what the spirits want me to do. I can't talk to them, but I can almost hear them talking to me" she replies with unaccustomed seriousness.

"I haven't been able to tell you what to do since you since you were 10," he says wryly, "Now I wonder who you get that from?" he adds with affection, looking at his wife. "We can't stop you, so I won't make this harder than it needs to be. Go with my blessing, my daughter. Spirits guide you."

They hug. All three. For perhaps the last time.

Later on, as Alistia starts packing a bag of supplies, her brothers Oraon and Kemlos drop by the house; Oraon has signed up for the re-building and Kemlos is finishing training to be a hunter.

"So, Ali, I knew you were crazy, but not this crazy." says big Oraon with an odd catch in his voice.

Kemlos carries with him his hunting club, which has served him well many times. It is a fine piece of work, elegantly crafted. He says hesitantly, "Ali... I... you should take this." He presents the weapon to her. "Go on, I can get another. You might need it. I hope not... but... Be careful."

Kemlos' club

Oraon regards his sister with eyes that swell with tears he cannot bear to shed. "I was meant to look out for you; hope I taught you enough about giving as good as you get." He gives her a light tap with his great fist on her shoulder.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
The forest at night.

Thane is alone, or at least most people might consider so. He could never understand the concept of being 'alone' in the forest, among the trees. He only ever really feels alone in the town, surrounded by people who do nothing but talk, never simply sitting back and listening. Even the spirit shamans sometimes seem like they get so caught up in speaking to their special guide that they forget the whole that is the world around them.

Sitting with his back to a tree, Thane relaxes. He's almost invisible under a thin layer of leaves and twigs that blend in with his clothing. As a young child he had constantly shifted, itching and scratching at the leaves, but now he simply relaxes unmoving, like his father always had. His eyes closed, Thane feels the forest. Even through the silence of the animals and the bugs, he can feel the pulse of the land. Restless, disturbed, on edge, but still there. Still more slow and patient than any man. Slowly, gently, Thane slides into a light sleep, his dreams walking amidst the boughs and branches, searching for something never found.

WarShrike

First Post
Ryon spends the remaining daylight hours amongst the animals in the compound. When he had told his family about his decision, there had been no surprise. It was the logical choice for one with his skills. The night was spent in the forest, renewing his bond with the natural world, seeking to draw out every memory he had aquired of these woods where the dark spirits dwelt. He would need them when the group would travel throught it.

Shayuri

First Post
Dinner at the weaver's house was awkward...silent. Erin and her mother sat across the table from one another, neither knowing quite what to say. Even once the food was done, and Erin started clearing off the plates.

Finally her mother said quietly, "So...tomorrow?"

Erin nodded shortly.

"I...I always knew this day would come."

Pausing where she was, Erin looked over at her mother.

"I always knew you'd go."

"Of course you knew," Erin said with a chuckle. "I kept saying it over and over."

Her mother nodded and dabbed her eyes, but she was smiling too. "Well, kids always say that, Erin. They always say they're going to go...they always have such big dreams. But then they grow up and settle down, and learn to be happy with their lot in life."

For a moment, she looked at her daughter...a little sadly, a little proudly. "But not you."

Erin smiled. "No...not me."

"Just be careful."

With a roll of her eyes, Erin replied, "I will...I have magic you know...and there's others. There's a whole bunch of us going."

"No, I don't mean...well, I do mean that. But not just that."

Erin frowned, confused.

Her mother leaned forward to point at her. "You're strong, Erin. You see what you want, and you go and you get it...that's not a bad thing. But you have to pay attention to what it is that you want too. It's not enough just to have ambition. Blind ambition can be worse than none." She trailed of...aware from Erin's expression that she wasn't making much sense. "I worry about you sometimes, Erin. You're so focused on you...on what you want...you forget to think about other people."

"What do you mean?" Erin said defensively. "I think about other people."

"How to use them," her mother answered. "What they can do for you. It's all right to consider those things...just don't limit yourself to them. See people not just as...stepping stones or tools, but as people. To do anything else is to turn onto a dark and lonely path at the crossroads."

Erin glided over to her mother and cupped her cheek to plant a kiss on her forehead.

"You worry too much, mother. I'll be fine. I'm going to turn in...we're leaving early. Do you want me to wake you up before I go?"

Her mother sighed and nodded. "Yes..."

"Good night then."

Masquerade

First Post
"Oh, and these, too," Cleyra tells her brother, handing him the rest of the new seeds.

"What are these ones?"

"Fruit seeds. The trader said that they'll grow into trees, so try planting them close to the house. Have you got all that?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Just remember, Eriboea will be by to help from time to time, and she knows even more than I do about these things. Listen to whatever she says and the farm will be just fine." She hesitates. "Has mother already gone to sleep?"

"Yes. Shortly after you left. Are...are you going to tell her that you're going?"

"In the morning. I think she will understand."

"You are going to come back, right?" Mathis says with uncharacteristic doubt.

"Of course. You have no need to worry." Another pause. "We should get to bed, too. It's getting really late." Cleyra does feel guilty about leaving her family behind, but she is confident that they will be fine without her, and that she will return. There really is nothing to worry about, she reassures herself.

Zurai

First Post
And so the village settles down and attempts to sleep through the long night. Those without homes of their own are housed in the village; those with homes find that an eerie red light filters in through northward-facing windows as the fires on the mountain continue to burn. Eventually, even the most nervous and unsettled villager manages to find their way to the realm of dreams, and the night slowly passes.

When the sun finally creeps over the horizon the following day, people stumble out of their houses into a world draped in ash. The skies are dark with clouds and visibility is so low that neither the river nor the forest can be seen from Cuirlen proper.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Thane wakes up, finding himself mostly free of ash due to the thick layer of leaves he slept under. Squinting and frowning, he pulls out his rarely-used bedroll and one of his new knives. Slicing a square off the corner, he fashions a crude bandana to fit over his nose and mouth, wetting it from his waterskin to keep keep the worst of the ash out of his lungs.

An hour later he arrives back at the town, and makes his way to the council's building. He pauses at the door and reaches out a hand, running it along the frame of the door, a look of contemplation on his face. After a moment, he shakes his head and steps through the door, pulling off the mask.

"I am here."

WarShrike

First Post
Ryon makes his way into town, quietly contemplating the ash covered landscape. It's kind of pretty in a grey colorless way. He makes sure his equipment is ready, having finally decided to strap his new blade to his waist. It felt odd, slapping lightly against his left leg, but he'd get used to it. Growl padded softly behind him, an expression of curiosity on his face, as he studied the land he knew well, so changed.

Arriving at the council hall, he strides in boldly, after shaking the ash from himself and his companion as best he could.

"Ryon Wolfheart reporting in. Am i early?"

Dire Lemming

First Post
Enko's parents were obviously against his leaving, but when he explained the situation to them, with the help of his grandmother he was able to calm them, and get them to accept it. His sister had little to say about it, but when he left the house that morning she looked like she was trying not to cry as she gave him a farewell hug. After saying farewell to his family for what he hoped would not be the last time he headed for the council hall. Hopefully he would get there before everyone else as he wished to speak with Pantheras about Artimisia's feeling.

Closing the door behind him, he shook the ashes from his hair and looked around at those assembled. "Uh, Master Pantheras... I need to speak with you about something. It concerns Artimisia."

Remove ads