Design & Development: Magic Item Levels

Simm

First Post
...and hello there are only 30 different item prices.

I can't say I'm too fond of that simply because its difficult to rationalize that within the world. I'll probably find myself making a list of all of the items and adjusting their cost semi-randomly.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
While I don't know how much of the stuff will actually end up in the game, it's interesting to see flying effects classified a lot higher than you'd expect (i.e. flying carpet at 18th), even if that's still in heavy development.

I guess they've learned from the fly in 3E, where it allows you to ignore most of the interesting terrain you can put there as a DM. And that makes flying monsters a lot scarier again.

Well, it makes sense, considering that they'll probably have more terrain stuff going on... (after all, Iron Heroes introduced enough zones)

Also: One level = one price is nice, because it means that it's more of a ballpark price than before - meaning you can say that between the levels below and above you have a bit of wiggling room for haggling.

But not that much crunchiness in the articles as last week, and sounds a bit like MIC-article rehash... well, it's still nice to see it. :)

Cheers, LT.

am181d

Adventurer
Seems like this will make it really easy to house rule items that level up with the player. (Assuming that they don't include this as a standard option.)

I'd be interested to know how many 10th level magic items Wizards thinks a 10th level character should have...

TwinBahamut

First Post
Well, the most interesting apsects of thia article is the impications that flight, levitation, and short-range teleportation are all Paragon-level abilities, and presumably things like long-range teleportation are even higher level abilities (probably Epic).

Other than that, I am just hoping that the magic items are more interesting then their names would imply... I dislike the +2 or +3 on everything. I guess it can't be helped, though.

bgaesop

First Post
I'm not sure how, from this description, they'll be avoiding the Christmas Tree effect. I was hoping for at the least more unique item descriptions, a la Baldur's Gate, rather than the +x Weapon of Effect Y we had in 3.x. edit: basically what TwinB said

am181d said:
Seems like this will make it really easy to house rule items that level up with the player. (Assuming that they don't include this as a standard option.)
Have you taken a look at Weapons of Legacy?

Rechan

Adventurer
I haven't read the article yet, but I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way:

I don't like this! It's going to ________________________

Narrow or limit options for players.
Take what's D&D out of D&D, chipping away what's D&D.
Has bad names.
Is forcing me to use these rules for my campaign.
Establishes arbitrary distinctions.

Last edited:

Remove ads