D&D 4E Casual DM - 4E made for ME

Novem5er

First Post
This is my first post here, so please cut me some slack if this tread is redundant or out of line. I tried finding a Search option for similar threads (I'm sure there are others), but it alluded me.

So why am I posting? This forum has a good mix of Pro-4th and Anti-4th and I can understand the views of both camps. What's more important, though, is that I think I understand the position of WotC. For that reason, I'm posting here.

See, I believe 4th ed was built for me.

I first played D&D back in '91 when my best friend found his parents old books and begged them to teach us. We were actually playing a mix of Chivalry & Sorcery and 1ed AD&D. We played every night for a week and I was hooked. Since then, I've played OD&D, 2nd Ed, a host of other RPGs. I've spent half my time as DM and the other half as a player.

My local group picked up 3rd ed when it came out and spend a week converting our 2nd ed characters. I picked up 3.5 when it came out for my personal copy of the 3 core books. Our 3rd ed campaigns ranged from mid level to low level and usually lasted a few months. Real life (and football season) often got in the way of arranging weekly groups, so I've gone sometimes a year or two without playing, but in the end, I've always gotten back into it with one group, another, are parts of both.

This last year, I picked up the DM screen again and starting playing with my fiancee and some family. It's been a blast. Yet, still months go by without us playing, so again...

I am a casual DM.

Because of my limited time, I am forced into buying pre-written adventures. Of course, I customize them as needed and with what time allows. Still, I feel a little cheated because I'm a very creative person who loves adventure/world building. I've decided that I must sacrifice my creative passion for the sake of quick gaming. The newer WotC adventures are great for this (Shattered Gates of Slaughterguard), but I wish I could do more on my own.

Thus, WotC has made 4th ed for me.

Of course, I don't know what the final product will be like, but their preview articles lead me to believe this. As a casual DM, here are my problems with 3rd ed (which I still think is the best ed made so far) . . . In no particular order:

1) With 3rd ed, I only like running low level campaigns. Levels 2 through 7 are my sweet spot. Beyond that, it's too much work to run a game! Even pre-made adventures past these levels blow me away. I read through them and there are so many stat blocks, so many powers, charts, numbers, etc, that I can't even wrap my head around them.

I look at the AC and attack bonuses of mid-high level monsters and I think "How the hell are my PCs supposed to hit/survive that?!" Then I realize that my PCs are supposed to be buffed by multiple spells and decked out with lots of magic items. So then my little DM mind starts to think, "In order to get my PCs into this kind of fight, I must place X, Y, Z, in my earlier adventures or else they are going to get wiped."

So my adventure design turns into, "how can I fit all these magic items in here..."

2) If mid-high level monsters are bad, forget about NPCs. Yes, the DMG has pre-written NPCs, but their stat blocks are even worse than the monsters. Creating one from scratch? I don't have the time to assign 10 levels worth of skill points, feats (how many feats does he need again?), and then all the magic gear that he/she needs for that level (how much wealth is he/she supposed to have? Then convert that to a half-dozen magic items...) Then there's spell selection . . .

3) Character Creation and Classes
a) Skill system only used by Rogues (rangers and barbs a little too). Why have this system that only one class really takes advantage of? I think the d20 skill system was a great invention of 3rd ed (remember 2nd ed proficiencies?!), but I get so annoyed that only the Rogues ever Spot or Hear anything. It's a mechanic (and whole chapter of book) that is barely used by half the classes.

b) Magic is hard to understand for new players. Low level Wizard/Cleric... you have a dozen spells to choose from, but you can only pick 1 or 2 ahead of time, and cast it just that once or twice... HUH?! I always throw Vancian magic out immediately because it's impossible to explain it to new players without them immediately hating their class. I just tell them they cast X many spells per day and to just choose them when you cast... but then they sit with a PHB at their side and flip through pages during the entire game, trying to decide what to cast with their 1,2, or 3 spells per day.

c) Fighters start off as the funnest class to play at level 1. A first level fighter with high strength hits nearly every attack and does the most damage consistently. By the mid-high levels, the fighter is the most boring class to play because he hasn't grown much as a class.. the feats available are not enough to make him stand out and the monster HP totals get so high that he isn't killing things quickly any more. Wizards have the opposite problem, of course.

I could go on, but this is a sample of my problems with 3rd ed (a game I still love compared to past editions!). So what happens to my campaigns? I'll give you a run down.

I start at level 1. Creativity is flowing. Monsters are easy to run. Characters are vulnerable, but effective enough with their own power (not reliant on magic items I "seeded" into the campaign). NPCs are easy to create. Rewards are simple (100GP? Awesome!!). Other than the Wizards, everyone is generally enjoying their character and the game. Everything is quick and easy and I can make new adventures and run them every week or two with little problem.

Boom. Somewhere after 7th level, things start to slow down. I simply cannot create adventures fast enough to keep players together. None of my players want to run take over the campaign because they have little/no DM experience, and they see how much work is needed. So with only playing one session every few weeks, players forget how to run their higher level players (what does this feat do again? Or Let me see the Spells chapter again...). Game play slows down and we generally have less fun when we DO get together.

Months pass and what happens? Myself or another player starts a new campaign.

Level 1. Creativity is flowing. Monsters are easy to run... etc... etc.

From the view point of WotC, this is a group of players that hasn't purchased half their published content (focused on mid to high level play). This is a group of players (several actually) that go months or even years without playing, and are thus not buying ANY products. This is a group who spends money on MMO's rather than D&D because video games are simply quicker to play and can be played without local players.

Thus, 4th ed is needed and born.

I know many posters here will respond with posts like "10th level players aren't hard to run?!! And designing NPCs doesn't take THAT much work. Or being a DM requires COMMITMENT, KNOWLEDGE, and PLANNING; if you don't have those, don't apply.

Sorry. I have a job. I have a kid. I have university classes to work on. I have a few hours of leisure time a week and I can't spend them with my nose in a book, by myself, adding up numbers, flipping pages, and consulting charts.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the above, and when I was younger, single, and had more time, I actually LIKED doing that. But I think 4th ed "haters" need to realize that there is a shrinking population who has the time or interest to run games that way. Listen, traditionally there has been a HUGE difference between D&D nerds and average people (and I use the term nerd fondly). You can tell a D&D nerd because they CHOOSE to spend hours pouring through books, learning every detail of every monster, mechanic, and magic possible and then spending more hours putting all this together for a couple hours of playing time. Average people choose not to do that because they have other responsibilities and interests.

WotC is trying to grow their market beyond the D&D nerd, yes to attract new players (average people), but also to keep old nerds playing, nerds who don't have the time available like they used to. Simply put, copious amounts of free time and esoteric interest should not be a PREREQUISITE to running a D&D game past level 7.

Humbly submitted.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I agree that the high levels of D&D are hard to DM. I will be curious to see if 4E solves that problem.

I also see the appeal of moving away from the "D&D rules as a toolkit -- assemble everything yourself" approach to some of 3E. Of the few things I find appealing in 4E as we know it now, the approach that makes monsters use simple monster rules and PCs use more complex PC rules is the most appealing thing to me.

Grymar

Explorer
Agreed. If there is one thing that will drive me to 4e (and my players can follow if they wish) it will be if they follow through on their promise to make preparing and running medium to high level games easier.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm not so much a casual DM, but let me tell you, the one thing I hate doing more than anything is statblocks. I'm doing an adventure where the PCs are stumbling into an area with multiple NPCs with different classes (Warlock, Barb, Psywarrior, etc), and it's all I can do to muster the attention span to crunch all those numbers.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
This is the only thing in here I disagree with:
Novem5er said:
b) Magic is hard to understand for new players. Low level Wizard/Cleric... you have a dozen spells to choose from, but you can only pick 1 or 2 ahead of time, and cast it just that once or twice... HUH?! I always throw Vancian magic out immediately because it's impossible to explain it to new players without them immediately hating their class. I just tell them they cast X many spells per day and to just choose them when you cast... but then they sit with a PHB at their side and flip through pages during the entire game, trying to decide what to cast with their 1,2, or 3 spells per day.
Make them play sorcerers and favoured souls instead. Short spell lists, many spells per day, easy to keep track of, and IME easy for new players to grok.

Sorry. I have a job. I have a kid. I have university classes to work on. I have a few hours of leisure time a week and I can't spend them with my nose in a book, by myself, adding up numbers, flipping pages, and consulting charts.
Preach on, brother. I have two kids and a graduate proposal due. I'm not 16 anymore. I can't spend a whole weekend writing an adventure. I'm lucky if I get a couple hours of prep. Usually, I'm winging it with a published adventure I've read through just once. I no longer know what all the feats in my game books do because I don't have time to read them several times to become familiarized with all of them. I just ask my players to run stuff by me before they choose, so I know what I'm going to have to deal with. I want D&D to be "pick up and play," because it's getting harder and harder to make time outside of gaming sessions to do all the auxiliary work required.

Singing Smurf

First Post
Novem5er said:
This is my first post here, so please cut me some slack if this tread is redundant or out of line. I tried finding a Search option for similar threads (I'm sure there are others), but it eluded me. <snip much truth>

Well said, and welcome to ENworld!

My players and I are looking forward to the new edition for similar reasons. We're all very busy with work, family, and all the other complications of adulthood* and if 4e requires less prep time we'll be immediate converts.

*Since this is an internet message board, I'll add the disclaimer that I am NOT saying that those who chose to spend more time than me on adventure prep are in any way less adult, successful, or minty fresh than I.

Sammael said:
So, just a quick question. As a casual DM, how many books do you buy?

All of them. :) I can't move my 3.x books without a hand truck.

drothgery

First Post
Novem5er said:
This is my first post here, so please cut me some slack if this tread is redundant or out of line. I tried finding a Search option for similar threads (I'm sure there are others), but it alluded me.

FYI - search is available at ENWorld for a small fee; it's one of the perks of a community supporter account.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Sammael said:
So, just a quick question. As a casual DM, how many books do you buy?
Speaking for myself, lots. I'm not one of those guys who has to have every book, but I like lots of options and new things to try. I buy books even when I don't have a game group nor do I have time to play. Eventually everything gets used, but I can't predict when it will happen.

Cyronax

Explorer
Novem5er said:

See, I believe 4th ed was built for me.

Thus, WotC has made 4th ed for me.

Of course, I don't know what the final product will be like, but their preview articles lead me to believe this. As a casual DM, here are my problems with 3rd ed (which I still think is the best ed made so far) . . . In no particular order:

1) With 3rd ed, I only like running low level campaigns. Levels 2 through 7 are my sweet spot. Beyond that, it's too much work to run a game! Even pre-made adventures past these levels blow me away. I read through them and there are so many stat blocks, so many powers, charts, numbers, etc, that I can't even wrap my head around them.

So my adventure design turns into, "how can I fit all these magic items in here..."

Humbly submitted.

Welcome to the boards. The condensed quotes above fit my position on gaming as well.

I totally hate how 3e has given most players a sense of entitlement, since most of them have seen p. 135 in the DMG and think they know how much money they should have in equipment at any given level.

They never believe me when I tell them I work hard to keep a lower magic but still balanced game.

I agree, 3e's sweet spot is the mid-levels. I think that once the PCs start getting Teleport and Phantom Steed, the world is essentially there's for the plucking. I almost want to just max out magic at about that point (I mean Raise Dead and those other two spells are 5th level right?)

Unlike some of the other posters around here, I actually have enough time to build high-level NPC opponents and massive story arcs. DM Planning is often my cathartic way of winding down for the night (aside from hanging out with the GF), where as many other people I know read or play video games..

But I end up spending several hours a week working on my campaign, in order to have my 3-4 a month campaign running smoothly (about 8 hrs of game play a session).

Anyway, welcome to EN World!

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Remove ads