Terra Subterranea and The Caverns of Lost Time

ajanders

Explorer
Michael pats his sack again.
"I still have some space in this as well, so I can take as much of other people's gear as they feel comfortable with me carrying.
Aya, what's in your sack?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
ajanders said:
Michael pats his sack again.
"I still have some space in this as well, so I can take as much of other people's gear as they feel comfortable with me carrying.
Aya, what's in your sack?"
*Aya raises an eyebrow.*

"I purchased a variety of basic equipment that I thought might be useful, including pitons, rope, and climbing gear if it comes to that, though I'd suspect we could find a magical alternative to climbing if necessary. Sleeping bags, tents, and blankets in case the weather gets rough, soap so we can try to pretend that we aren't getting filthy in our travels and keep a modicum of sanitary conditions if we want to, those kinds of things."

"I wasn't sure exactly how far we would need to go, and now that you say Rayne mentioned the Wendigos, I may need to buy more food, but for now I have also purchased 210 days worth of rations, enough to last our group for a month."

ajanders

Explorer
"Right." agrees Michael.
"I have twenty days of food for one, climbing and hauling gear, some mundane healing supplies, a few spell components, a little pioneering gear, camping equipment..."
He shrugs.
"Let's take a serious look at this map and see if a month is a fair assessment of travel time. I have backup plans for food, water, and shelter, but they might not work for this many people."

He bends his head back to the map, curious about the distance they need to travel, the time it will take, roads and settlements (a pipe dream, he knows) and if they need cold or hot weather gear.
If the map is obliging enough to state "Here be large monsters" he notes that too, though he's not sure whether they should be avoided or sought after.
A really big nasty monster, of course, might well have crawled out of a shaft leading to the Underdark, providing them with a quick route down.
It might also, of course, eat them all.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*They look carefully at the map.*

"It looks more like it will take over a month to reach the peak. Probably around 35 days if we travel exactly straight as the crow flies without any curves, impediments, or slowdowns of any sort. Of course, the world doesn't work like that. So with our rosy-coloured glasses off, let's plan for twice that."

Velmont

First Post
"For food and water, I suppose we can always help us with some magicaly created food and water. Even if a single spell, to not tax too much Micheal spellcasting ability, would help to slowly eat our supply instead fo passing through in teh first month."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"That could potentially be a big help, certainly," Aya agrees, "But I think we shouldn't let that keep us from being cautious and buying extra food. An investment of five silvers now could save us from a day without any food--in that sense, it seems like a wise gamble to make."

ajanders

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"That could potentially be a big help, certainly," Aya agrees, "But I think we shouldn't let that keep us from being cautious and buying extra food. An investment of five silvers now could save us from a day without any food--in that sense, it seems like a wise gamble to make."

"Sela will certainly grant me the power to create food to give us strength -- and I can do a little foraging on my own for natural foods.
But if we rely too much on Sela's power, we may have to choose between filling our bellies and healing our wounds. Those sorts of decisions never end well.
We will certainly end up relying on a combination of all three: thirty days to the mountain and thirty days back is sixty, and I doubt the shard will be sitting under a convenient tree for us.
This will be at least a three month trip: even with magical storage, I don't think we can carry enough food."

Michael looks thoughtful.
"Better add at least some mining gear: Sela grants me some power to work stone, but it's not unlimited. A pick and shovel might save our lives."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Yes, mining gear is a good plan. As for the return trip, I must mention that I am not terribly far from mastering dimensional magic of a more advanced nature. My hope would be that in the intervening months, if I have enough time to study, I might finally figure out something that can substantially shorten our trip, such as the Teleport spell."

Remove ads