Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Definitely CR 2. 31 hp and DR is too much for CR 1.

The rest sounds good. Updated.

Shall we work on Construction?

X2 said:
The procedure for creating a magen varies according to the type desired, as the special properties of some magen require extra work on the part of the magic-user. In general, a large expenditure of time and money (for the costly and/or magical ingredients) is necessary to create even one or two magen. Also many high-level spells, scrolls and wishes must be used during the preparations. Even so, there is always a good chance that the incantations will fail.

Mystara MC said:
Most scholars and sages agree that magens were developed by an impatient wizard or wizards who wanted to make a construct, but did not want to wait to gain the considerable power needed to create a golem. Certainly, magens are not as powerful as golems, and it takes less effort, money, and experience to create them. Some believe wizards developed magens merely as practice before attempting to create golems. Magens have greater intelligence than golems, however, and can sometimes pass for humans.

Some speculate that the Immortals of Mystara handed down the knowledge of creating magens to early wizards, but this theory cannot be confirmed.

All magens are composed of the same material: a liquid suspension charged with magic—think of a magically charged gelatin. The liquid’s actual composition varies, but all ingredients prove exotic and hard to come by, except in a large city with a well-stocked mage’s gdd, alchemical college, or components store.

The wizard creating a magen must have a fully stocked laboratory at his disposal, including 1,000 gold pieces worth of special tools and equipment needed to create magens. In addition, a mold must be fashioned of electrum; most wizards hire a metalsmith or sculptor to help with it. Building the mold takes at least 6 weeks (more for finer work) and materials and labor worth 15,000 gold pieces (or as low as 10,000 gold pieces if the wizard has the appropriate facilities and skills to help in the task).

To make a magen, the wizard must also purchase 3,000 gold pieces worth of chemicals and obscure components for the suspension. The liquid takes two weeks to prepare, and during that time the wizard concentrates so steadily on enchanting and mixing it, he can do nothing else save eat, sleep, and rest.

Once the wizard has prepared the suspension, he must add certain unique ingredients, depending on the type of magen desired. To prepare a demos, the wizard must add the melee weapons and missile weapons he wants the completed magen to know how to use. To form a caldron, the creator adds a pair of tentacles from a roper or choker. Building a galvan requires a part of any creature that can generate electricity or lightning bolts. Finally, to create a hypnos, the wizard must liquefy a scroll holding a charm person spell and pour it into the mixture.

The wizard transfers the prepared liquid to the mold casts the following spells rapidly in this order: lighting bolt, rime, transmute mud to rock, stone to flesh, domination and light bolt again. The tremendous energy of the spells interacts with the gel; roll 1d20 and check the following table for the outcome.

Roll Result
1 Lightning bolt spell reflects back at the caster. Failed.
2-3 Mixture and mold explode, causing 4d6 points of damage to everyone in a 10-foot radius. Failed.
4-6 Nothing happens. Wizard must create a new gelatin. Failed.
7-19 A magen is boml Successl
20 A magen is born! What the wizard does not know, however, is that an evil intelligence from the Outer Planes
possessed its body and eventually will turn the creature against the wizard.

The equipment, tools, and mold can be reused after the first construction. If a wizard tries to use the mold to create a different type of magen than it previously produced, the attempt automatically fails. Each reuse of a mold requires a saving throw vs. lightning. Failure indicates the mold breaks during the final spellcasting. If breakage occurs, yet the 1d20 roll indicates success, there is a slight (5%) chance that the magen emerges perfectly formed—and fully self-aware, not subject to the wizard’s command! But usually, a broken modl results in a misshapen magen that dissolves into nothing within a few minutes.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The 15000 gp for the electrum mold is way too high compared to a 3.5 flesh golem's cost. The 3000 gp for the components is probably ok. I could see requiring some kind of Craft check, though I don't know precisely which ones.

We might want more spells than just the charm person.

Do we want to retain the failure chances?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Craft (gello mold)? :p

How about Craft (alchemy) and maybe Craft (sculpting)?

Suggestion seems a no-brainer for an additional spell.

The fact that the mold can be re-used (and possibly rented/borrowed) might not make its price too high. Pondering...

freyar

Alchemy and sculpting make sense for the Crafts. And suggestion, of course! Maybe the mold can be part of a usual alchemical lab? Or we can just cut the price a bit.

Cleon

Legend
I think the fluff has them all at 6ft already.

6 foot and 150-175 pounds then?

I like the concoction, but I'd also like a single-type org. Maybe a "brew" for 2-8 hypnos magen?

While I like the idea of including a single-type org I don't much care for "brew". How about we give them different single-type collective nouns for each type, i.e. a mesmerism of hypnos.

Also, 2-12 seems a bit narrow a range for a concoction, maybe expand it to 2-20?

Organization: Solitary, mesmerism (2-8 hypnos magen) or concoction (2-20 magen of different types)

Cleon

Legend
Alchemy and sculpting make sense for the Crafts. And suggestion, of course! Maybe the mold can be part of a usual alchemical lab? Or we can just cut the price a bit.

I was going to suggest the electrum mold is a reusable "laboratory fixture".

Craft (Sculpting) doesn't work for me, they read as if they're alchemy, not artwork. Since it's like casting a jelly in a mold, maybe Craft (cookery) would fit better?:p

Perhaps something like:

Construction
To create a magen requires a custom built laboratory equipped with an electrum-lined mold. This mold defines the shape of the magen (humanoid, equine, canine, lizard etc). The total cost of this laboratory is 15,000? gp, but it can be reused to make multiple magen of any type (Demos, Caldren, Hypnos et cetera). Additional molds to create magen of other shapes cost 5,000? gp apiece.

Constructing a hypnos magen requires exotic alchemical reagents and tinctures costing at least 1000 gp. Molding the body requires a DC Y Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 5th; Craft Construct, animate dead, charm person, suggestion, caster must be at least 5th level; Price 5,000 gp; Cost 3,000 gp + 160 XP.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That seems reasonable, and the DCs should be pretty low (12-13?).

Lightning bolt played a large part in the original creation. Should we work that (or a lesser electricity spell) back in to the mix? Perhaps shocking grasp instead of animate dead?

What about the failure chance/mishap table? Retain or drop?

freyar

I'm thinking that the creation mishaps aren't terribly 3e. But we could do a CL check or some kind of penalty perhaps. That might work.

Shocking grasp is reasonable.

Cleon

Legend
That seems reasonable, and the DCs should be pretty low (12-13?).

Lightning bolt played a large part in the original creation. Should we work that (or a lesser electricity spell) back in to the mix? Perhaps shocking grasp instead of animate dead?

I'd be fine adding shocking grasp or lightning bolt, but would rather keep animate dead. It's a common "infusing life into unliving golem-stuff" spell for Golem construction.

After due consideration I prefer shocking grasp, then we can use lightning bolt for the Galven Magen.

What about the failure chance/mishap table? Retain or drop?

Better cut it, I'm afraid. It doesn't fit into 3E philosophy.

I'll set the Craft DC to 12, since they should be simpler to make than a Flesh Golem.

Revising...

Construction
To create a magen requires a custom built laboratory equipped with an electrum-lined mold. This mold defines the shape of the magen (humanoid, equine, canine, lizard etc). The total cost of this laboratory is 15,000 gp, but it can be reused to make multiple magen of any type (Demos, Caldren, Hypnos et cetera). Additional molds to create magen of other shapes cost 5,000 gp apiece.

Constructing a hypnos magen requires exotic alchemical reagents and tinctures costing at least 1000 gp. Molding the body requires a DC 12 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 5th; Craft Construct, animate dead, charm person, shocking grasp, suggestion, caster must be at least 5th level; Price 5,000 gp; Cost 3,000 gp + 160 XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads