Psionic Monk build questions...

akbearfoot

First Post
So I have been reading various monk optimization boards, and decided to put together a psionic monk. Or at least something that resembles one :) I have a few questions though for the more mathematically apt.

I'm thinking the best build would monk/Psionic warrior, possibly with warmind levels.

Limited to Core books, eberron books, and basically I can pick any 1 other book to draw from. I was thinking that my bonus book would be Bo9s for superior unarmed strike. I have some questions though.

Are warmind levels worth the loss of psionic warrior levels/bonus feats? It's nice for the full BaB, larger hit die, and the 3/d abilities. Sweeping strikes is also an awesome and unique ability. Should I just take 5 levels for sweeping strikes, or is it worth it to do all 10 levels?

I'm planning on being strength/wisdom focused, but I haven't decided which stat to focus on most.

Thing's I consider good/cool for this build:
A reach trip weapon, and combat reflexes. Not sure if I can do this and still maximize my unarmed attacks at a decent level. This is mainly to have a large attack range and to be able to take advantage of a couple of extra AoOs to soften up enemies and/or give the spell casters some added protection

The Secrets of Sarlona feat that lets me gain monk abilities while raising another class, along with Improved natural attack, plus the psionic expansion power, and a monks belt as soon as I can afford it.

Stunning fist, ability focus(stunning fist), and I can probably find someone to construct Ki straps from the MIC.

Hustle, and later Psionic Lions Charge when its available.

Power attack, Psionic Weapon, Deep Impact for hard hits against high AC foes.

I know I can't do all of this at once, so I need help narrowing down the focus. If anyone has actually played similar builds I would be interested in hearing input.

And please keep the Bo9S flaming to a minimum :) I know monks suck compared to Martial Adepts, but a monkish build is what I want to design. Mainly because in this world, martial adepts originated in Cyre, making them kinda rare at this point.

Thanks in advance :)

Slaved

First Post
2 levels of Monk plus 2 levels of Psychic Warrior plus 1 level of Crusader and then into Warmind can be a lot of fun! The order you take these in changes what options you have for each step.

Grab Gauntlets of the Talon from the Magic Item Compendium to boost up your Monk abilities.

Take the Stone Power feat and later take Shards of Granite. Unarmed strike is a Stone Dragon weapon! This will allow you to ignore Hardness and Damage Reduction plus occasionally ignore attack penalties from Stone Power.

Carry the reach weapon and use it for Attacks of Opportunity but you should try to find ways to increase your size.

Tashalatora looks like a lot of fun too! If you choose Warmind then at level 14 you will have the full Monk Flurry ability! If your Dungeon Master allows Superior Unarmed Strike to stack with the Gauntlets of the Talen then your Monk Unarmed Strike damage will cap out at that level too which means you have a wide variety of options without having to go back into Monk.

With that build you will be able to handle an incredible array of threats from single targets to many foes at once. Your saving throws will be excellent. With a little work your Armor Class will be the highest in the party. Plus whenever people hit you it only makes you stronger!

Zelc

First Post
Well, it depends on whether you want the War Mind abilities or the Slayer abilities. With Superior Unarmed Strike and a Monk's Belt, you need 11 levels of "Monk" to get that 2d10 damage. So, you could go with Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 4/Slayer 10/Psychic Warrior +4, and end up with 18th level Psychic Warrior manifesting along with Slayer Abilities. Why? Because this allows you to manifest Form of Doom.

P.S.: You definitely either want War Mind or Slayer for the full BAB.

moritheil

First Post
Uh, if we're discussing Psi PrCs, have you seen Fist of Zuoken?

I'm not sure whether you're more after crunch or theme at this point, but it's thematic.

akbearfoot

First Post
"Uh, Expanded Psionics Handbook isn't core. So wouldn't that have to be your 1 other book?"

I am thinking that the DM was including the XPH as a 'core' choice. Now I'll have to ask him, because I'm not sure. I thought since eberron has naturally psionic races that the psionics book was also available (but not complete psionics).

What book is the Slayer Prc originally from? I googled it and it looks interesting.

We're playing through the Age of Wyrms campaign, so it may fit well...but I've deliberately skipped reading any AoW sections in all my mags so I don't really know what we will be facing in the future. I think I like the slayer psionic progression since it would get me psionic lions charge earlier, but the warmind seems a little more straightforward as far as combat abilities go. And it has 2 good saves. However there is no way to get 6th level powers as a warmind.

Is it possibly best to stay psionic warrior for all the feats and steady manifester progression? I don't how how high Age of Wyrms takes you in the end, but I didn't think it was all the way to 20 (We're only lvl 3 now). Are slayer/warmind abilities and the BAB worth the loss of higher level powers?...This would also maximize the Tashalatora bonus.

I am a little unfamiliar with general psionic class interractions, so this might be a silly question, but am I right to think that you pool your PsPs together from all your psionic classes, and your manifester level is = to all your psionic class levels?

Any suggestions for race? Kalashtar seemed cool, but I'm thinking XP penalties would suck for anything but a human.

Slaved

First Post
Age of Worms goes all the way up to 20.

With the build I mentioned earlier you do not have an experience point penalty with any race you might want to play and it is incredibly versitile as well!! :D

If your Dungeon Master is very nice he may create an extra progression beyond level 10 for powers for the Warmind. This means that once you take all of the levels in it you could then enter the Slayer prestige class and boost the Warmind Manifesting!

The Slayer is actually in the Expanded Psionics Handbook as the Illithiad Slayer. The Slayer version in the link below is actually the System Resource Document with all of the Illithiad bits removed. But if the Dungeon Master allows the System Resource Document version then by the time you take levels in it you will know exactly what type of creatures to choose as your favored enemy! :uhoh: :cool:

Slaved

First Post
I forgot to mention. With Psionics your Power Points are pooled into a single place but you track your Manifester Level separately for each. Overchannel would be a great feat for you to get, not only does it allow you to boost your Manifester Level but you can use it, make a swift action power, charge up your Delayed Damage Pool and then get a bonus to attack and damage from that!

Oh and some Dungeon Masters change the Warmind from having its normal progression over to 8 Manifesting Class Level Boosts instead for ease of use and reference.

sukael

First Post
If you decide to use war mind along with Tome of Battle material, keep in mind that the latest D&D FAQ has specifically stated that a war mind's sweeping strike ability works with maneuvers, even ones that normally only work on one creature.

Remove ads