Pramas: D&D his way??

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Is this just punk DIY attitude, or does it smell like 3.75? From his blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Husker Dungeons

There's an old Husker Du song in which Bob Mould screams, "What do I want? What'll make me happy?"

Lately I've been pondering this in relation to D&D. The game and I go back a long way. I started playing when I was 10 years old and this began a journey that led me into hobby gaming and ultimately to a life of game design, writing, and publishing. So while I can and do play many other games, I find that I like having at least a little D&D in my life. The game has had its up and downs over the years, but it has a core that continues to appeal.

I've been trying to figure which of the many games called D&D is the one I really want though. D&D has a certain gestalt that it's hard to pin down exactly. When I look over the various iterations of the game, there are things I don't like about each one. Each version seems to fix some problems while creating new ones. I had hoped that 4E would learn some lessons from 3E. It has but the direction it seems to have taken isn't the way I would have gone. While I will certainly give it a shot and GR may indeed publish some stuff for it, I don't consider it likely that it'll become my D&D game of choice (though again, I reserve final judgment until I see the actual rules). Paizo is doing some interesting stuff with Pathfinder but it is going down an evolutionary route that again isn't quite what I'm looking for. And GR's own True20 wasn't meant to be a D&D replacement in the first place.

Bob Mould's answer in that song is, "Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!" I'm trying not to be that cynical.

Now I have, off and on, been tinkering with a rule set that tries to capture what it is about D&D that I like. I'm sure that's a surprise to no one; it's what designers do if you give them half a chance. The thing is that I don't have time to go writing a new game while working two jobs unless I'm going to do something with it. And let's be frank, does the world need my interpretation of D&D? This is ground so well-plowed that it's turned into mud. So I tinker a bit and then I put it away. It doesn't make any sense to pursue it, and yet I find myself thinking about it on the bus and making notes when I get home. I suppose I either need to find a way for it make sense as a published product or just forget about it. At the moment I am, as the Replacements would say, "stuck in the middle."

keterys

First Post
Yep, we can get a Green Ronin D&D to go with Pathfinder... and Hackmaster... and Castles and Crusades... heck, Arcana Evolved... and Dangerous Journeys... and Arduin... etc :)

I would be very curious to see what Chris's version was like... even just in sketched out theory.

Tenbones

First Post
What I find interesting about the trend towards splitting off and doing d20 "your way" in the current field of publishers - is that ultimately it's d20. Outside of Green Ronin, whose True20 is a very real (and good) step away from the 3.5 system, others are just tweaks and changes (some I find very good - like Iron Heroes) and others just meh - it's 3.5 with a pet world.

Not to derail this topic - but I'd love to Pramas and Co. take a stab at really just going for it on an alternate system that blows the hinges off. I realize the commercial viability of such a venture is extremely risky at best (hence the graveyard of fantasy games that went toe-to-toe with the D&D-Juggernaut). But it seems to me that in the gaming community the cult-of-personality is alive and well - and apparently enough to be profitable as long as a system is sound and more importantly FUN. It certainly seems to transcend the d20 game itself.

I present Monte's Iron Heroes, and everything True20. They aren't very 3.5 compatible at all (although I personally use some Iron Heroes concepts in my own game) but they remain apparently sustainable financially. Can it be done? I would think so.

What the fantasy gaming field needs is more competition. There's 3.5 and what? GURPS Fantasy? Palladium? Runequest? All tried and true - without doubt. Where are the new systems to take it a step further by those that helped make 3e in the first place? Or is it still too costly?

I'd also like to throw a shout out to the OMNI-system. Beautiful in its simplicity, I did loves me some Talislanta.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Moniker said:
More "reinterpreting" 3.5 rules...ugg. Why not just create an entirely new system instead of rehashing from the foundations of 3rd edition?

This may be my fault...but he doesn't actually say he is working on a "3.5+.x". Just that he is dabbling with something.

Given his invovlment with 2E, 3E, True20, Warhammer...I don't know what he would come up with...but I bet it would be cool worth looking at.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Moniker said:
More "reinterpreting" 3.5 rules...ugg. Why not just create an entirely new system instead of rehashing from the foundations of 3rd edition?
Not that I dislike non-3Es, but there are some compelling reasons, especially if you want to create a solid D&Dish system:

1)It's D&D, and if you want to do D&D, it's better to base it D&D.
2)3E is, due to the SRD and OGL, the most accessible base, if you want to get a D&D base.
3)Let's face it: It has so many players and forum people posting about it, that it is the perhaps most playtested RPG ever.
4)And people bought a lot of it, i.e. it's certainly has an appeal.

Cheers, LT.

Klaus

First Post
TerraDave said:
This may be my fault...but he doesn't actually say he is working on a "3.5+.x". Just that he is dabbling with something.

Given his invovlment with 2E, 3E, True20, Warhammer...I don't know what he would come up with...but I bet it would be cool worth looking at.
Not to mention Dragon Fist.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This could be interesting. I'd like to hear about his ideas for an ideal system. I'm not sure what's lacking in each of those published so far. For him, that is. But a think a diversification of the market can only be good for the game. Ideas have been stifled so far that folks are now paying to play vs. doing what makes them happy. That's not cool.

xechnao

First Post
TerraDave said:
Now I have, off and on, been tinkering with a rule set that tries to capture what it is about D&D that I like.[/COLOR]

Eh, could it be something like say Tri-Stat you are talking about here?

Remove ads