Pramas: D&D his way??

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Wisdom Penalty said:
Just wait till you see my version. I'm calling it 3.76E, because it's .01 better than Pathfinder. You'll be amazed.
Dude! Let me know when I can preorder: you've got me sold!
;)

--Steve

Klaus

First Post
SteveC said:
...and here we have another crack in the wall of compatibility that was built during the OGL. Yes, by all means we need another 3.75 product! Pathfinder, Monte, and now Chris Pramas can all get into a battle for the remaining 3X loyalists.

The thing is, of course, is that I would probably buy the thing and read (but never use) it. Chris has a lot of good karma piled up based on Green Ronin's work, so he'd have one sale in me. But I'm still goin' to 4E.

--Steve
"Wall of compatibility"? That's new.

Here's the thing: 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, d20 Modern, Star Wars Saga, are all compatible with each other. You could reasonably stat up, say, a Jedi, put him on a Lamborghini Diablo and have him hunt down undead in Heart of the Nightfang Spire before facing the Red Hand of Doom and then taking down the Runelords.

Sure, some things work differently within each subset, but they're close enough that you can play with books from all games above.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Lord Zardoz said:
The only people who I think have ever been entirely satisfied with any edition of D&D would be Gary Gygax, and perhaps Dave Arneson. Everyone else ends up modifying or ignoring certain aspects of the rules of whatever particular edition they play.

Your highness: They also modfied and ignored many a rule.

am181d

Adventurer
While I'm happily pro-4e, I'd love to see Pramas and Monte and a few of the other name designers confer with Paizo to come up with a 3e-offshoot that could earn serious broadbased support. The goal would be to produce a game that's still essentially 3e, that maximizes backwards compatibility but streamlines the game enough that it motivates continued play even as 4e arrives in all its new and sexy glory.

Paizo, going alone, probably can't get there. Paizo inviting 3rd party support might.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Klaus said:
"Wall of compatibility"? That's new.

Here's the thing: 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, d20 Modern, Star Wars Saga, are all compatible with each other. You could reasonably stat up, say, a Jedi, put him on a Lamborghini Diablo and have him hunt down undead in Heart of the Nightfang Spire before facing the Red Hand of Doom and then taking down the Runelords.

Sure, some things work differently within each subset, but they're close enough that you can play with books from all games above.

Sort of. It takes work, and stuff isn't always balanced between games.

For example, the Jedi Guardian wildly outshines anything in the PHB. A 3.0 gnome Jedi Guardian/Sith Lord with Sithsteel Vorpal Kukris is just plain rude (killed 3/5 of the party in one fight...I was never so glad to fail a Will save in my entire life...).

Brad

Gundark

Explorer
I get that Chris is speculating (and probably watching what the fans say on the topic).

Here's my $ .02. The world doesn't need another d20 D&D rule set. I don't think I'd be interested in a d20 fantasy knockoff that is his version of "D&D done right".

I think that there is a problem with the notion of making a D&D product with the "right feel" and that is that no one really knows (or there is no consensus) what D&D is supposed to feel like. The pages of discussion I’ve seen on this topic on Enworld are evidence of this. Who’s to say that Chris’ feel of D&D is what the majority of gamers feel it is (or at least enough gamers to make a buck off of)? I was “meh” about the Pathfinder RPG, I’d be even more “meh” about “D&D done right” ruleset.

One thing that impressed me about WotC is that they seemed to be prepared to sacrifice sacred cows to make a better game, it seemed (to me at least) that they were prepared to strip the vehicle down and rebuild from the ground up to make a better game. Paizo seems more interested in maintaining Legacy. It’s a design continuum (with Kevin Sembedida(?) and Palladium at the extreme end) that I’m not interested in. With Paizo and this potential Green Ronin product it would be like “well we fixed part A cause it was broken, but we left Part X cause it needs to stay to feel right.”

That said….

I like Green Ronin and think they put out some quality stuff. I think I’d be interested if the “D&D done right” game if it wasn’t d20. If say GR does “Catacombs & Wyverns” which doesn’t use the current d20 engine and it plays like D&D, then…I might be interested in picking up that product to take a look at it.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I don't see why someone doesn't just DUMP the .5 and make the ADVANCED Dungeons and Dragons 3E based on the OGL with systems mechanics that reflect 3.0+

Pramas

Explorer
Moniker said:
More "reinterpreting" 3.5 rules...ugg. Why not just create an entirely new system instead of rehashing from the foundations of 3rd edition?

Yep, another 3.5 variant would be pretty pointless. If you think that's what I'm talking about, all I can say is you don't know me very well. :)

Last edited:

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Pramas said:
Yep, another 3.5 variant would be pretty pointless. If you think that's what I'm talking about, all I can is you don't know me very well. :)

Now that sounds interesting. Like others, I'm not a fan of a bandaged 3E. Anything new, innovative, and - of course - fun, would be welcome.

Fobok

First Post
Pramas said:
Yep, another 3.5 variant would be pretty pointless. If you think that's what I'm talking about, all I can is you don't know me very well. :)

And that's why I'm actually interested in seeing what you come up with, where I wasn't with Pathfinder. :)

Remove ads