Core rulebook PDFs?

mattfs5

First Post
Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive on it...

If I buy the 4e core rulebooks but do NOT subscribe to DDI, will I be able to access/download PDF versions of the rulebooks I own?

Thanks!
Matt

malraux

First Post
I believe that they've given up the idea of pdfs for the rules database. Now as I understand, the rules database will be available for non subscribers, but will just reference page numbers rather than rules.

jelmore

First Post
mattfs5 said:
Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive on it...

If I buy the 4e core rulebooks but do NOT subscribe to DDI, will I be able to access/download PDF versions of the rulebooks I own?

According to this page, you will not have to be a DDI subscriber, but you will have to pay a "nominal fee" to get the PDF/electronic media format.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
jelmore said:
According to this page, you will not have to be a DDI subscriber, but you will have to pay a "nominal fee" to get the PDF/electronic media format.

That's old news.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15657654&postcount=5
I can't find the posting. It was announced at DDXP that electronic copies of the books were too difficult to administer, so instead they announced the Rules Database. The database can be queried for a specific rule/feat/power. Non-subscribers get a crippled access which lets them know what book a rule is in. Subscribers get the text of the rule sans examples and other fluff.

If you want a PDF, you'll have to pay for it. ISTR hearing the PDFs will be slightly cheaper than the hardcovers, but still in the realm of $20 a PDF.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Alan Shutko said:
If you want a PDF, you'll have to pay for it. ISTR hearing the PDFs will be slightly cheaper than the hardcovers, but still in the realm of $20 a PDF.

Just to be clear, has WotC said that there'll be pay-for-download PDFs of 4E books available? I'd hope so, since I know people who want PDFs and not physical copies, in which case any sort of online "add-on" to purchasing the physical books is useless to them.

malraux

First Post
Alzrius said:
Just to be clear, has WotC said that there'll be pay-for-download PDFs of 4E books available? I'd hope so, since I know people who want PDFs and not physical copies, in which case any sort of online "add-on" to purchasing the physical books is useless to them.
They have said yes, then later said no. There will be the rule's database program which will likely work about as well as a pdf copy. That is, great for referencing rules, not as good for perusing as a book. But I get the sense that the DDI plans are still undergoing changes and probably deadline slips.

MaelStorm

First Post
WotC said they do not plan an a-la-carte pricing for D&D Insider, which pretty much oblige everyone to finance part of the system they won't use. It's a business decision, which I do not agree with, that's why they won't have my money. They also removed the option to get a free PDF version of the books you paid, that's another business decision I don't like. Plus you can't buy a PDF version of the book. I think these decisions will promote illegal download of PDF. Instead of offering PDF or selling PDF, they want us to pay a monthly fee for quick digital reference, which in my book is pretty much expensive considering I won't use their VTT or character builder and a PDF would be just fine for me.

I also get the sense that WotC is not as environmentally conscious as it can be, since they want to promote expensive books with hardcovers. I know people don't care that much, but these books have an impact vs forest conservation. PDF also save a lot in stocking fee and transportation fee. One last important factor is the rise in price of fuel these days, transporting their books through air all over the world is a commodity the earth can't afford much longer. Promoting big books instead of digital books is a business model that goes against sustainable development. I bet one day their will be laws against this behavior and that companies will be fined or taxed for not respecting the earth.

Dice4Hire

First Post
MaelStorm said:
WotC said they do not plan an a-la-carte pricing for D&D Insider, which pretty much oblige everyone to finance part of the system they won't use. It's a business decision, which I do not agree with, that's why they won't have my money. They also removed the option to get a free PDF version of the books you paid, that's another business decision I don't like. Plus you can't buy a PDF version of the book. I think these decisions will promote illegal download of PDF. Instead of offering PDF or selling PDF, they want us to pay a monthly fee for quick digital reference, which in my book is pretty much expensive considering I won't use their VTT or character builder and a PDF would be just fine for me.

I also get the sense that WotC is not as environmentally conscious as it can be, since they want to promote expensive books with hardcovers. I know people don't care that much, but these books have an impact vs forest conservation. PDF also save a lot in stocking fee and transportation fee. One last important factor is the rise in price of fuel these days, transporting their books through air all over the world is a commodity the earth can't afford much longer. Promoting big books instead of digital books is a business model that goes against sustainable development. I bet one day their will be laws against this behavior and that companies will be fined or taxed for not respecting the earth.

Getting awfully close to politics here.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
ISTR that WotC has announced you'll be able to buy PDF versions of the books. They won't be priced at full retail of the books as they are today, but will have some minor discount. However, they'll still be pretty expensive compared to other PDFs.

Remove ads